No announcement yet.

Ongoing C++ Gameplay Example Series: Making a Survival Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll check the next time but the engine just freeze and there is not report or something, I think is related with this https://github.com/tomlooman/EpicSur...ries/issues/14 but not sure I need to give a check with the debugger or something.
    Hevedy - Instance Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/hevedyinstances
    Hevedy - Image Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/imagetools

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Looman View Post
      Hi David,

I totally understand the confusion. It's a bit of an obscure system. If you search for GetDefaultPawnClassForController_Implementation inside SGameMode.cpp you'll find how it figures out which BotClass to use for the AI controller.

That function is called internally by the game framework when you call RestartPlayer(Controller)

Hope that helps.

- Tom
      He he... Just a couple lines below... thank you so much!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Looman View Post
        Noticed the same when opening the project, I'll look for a fix the next time I do an upgrade of the project.
        I pulled down the 4.12 version and got the same error. Am I missing something? Looking forward to digging into what you have done here. I appreciate it.

Error /Game/Maps/CoopLandscape_Map : Failed import for AudioComponent /Game/Base/BP_TimeOfDayManager.Default__BP_TimeOfDayManager_C:AmbientAudioComp

Comment

Originally posted by acxsasx View Post
          I pulled down the 4.12 version and got the same error. Am I missing something? Looking forward to digging into what you have done here. I appreciate it.

Error /Game/Maps/CoopLandscape_Map : Failed import for AudioComponent /Game/Base/BP_TimeOfDayManager.Default__BP_TimeOfDayManager_C:AmbientAudioComp
          The suggested fix did not work for me either. I wonder why it's complaining about the component.
          Game Developer @ LODZERO - My Twitter | tomlooman.com UE4 samples & tutorials | C++ Survival Game (Open-Source)

Comment

Very nice tutorial! I am looking at the sprinting part, but I am not sure how IsSprinting(), and bWantsToRun actually changes the speed of the player character. could you give me a hint?

Comment

Originally posted by Ambience Lee View Post
              Very nice tutorial! I am looking at the sprinting part, but I am not sure how IsSprinting(), and bWantsToRun actually changes the speed of the player character. could you give me a hint?
              Have a look at the custom CharacterMovementComponent class, that's what modified the walking speed. You can also find it by searching the project for IsSprinting()

- Tom
              Game Developer @ LODZERO - My Twitter | tomlooman.com UE4 samples & tutorials | C++ Survival Game (Open-Source)

Comment

Hi! Incredible tutorial!!!

About the picking object management, I can see that there are two ray traces one to highlight the object under the cursor in the character class, the second to pickup the object in the carry object component. Wouldn't it be better to use only one ray trace and the pass the focused object to the carry object component pickup function?

Kind regards and thanks in advance!!!

Comment

Originally posted by turtledma View Post
                  Hi! Incredible tutorial!!!

About the picking object management, I can see that there are two ray traces one to highlight the object under the cursor in the character class, the second to pickup the object in the carry object component. Wouldn't it be better to use only one ray trace and the pass the focused object to the carry object component pickup function?

Kind regards and thanks in advance!!!
                  Hi Turtle,

Yeah that would be more efficient indeed!

- Tom

Comment

Thanks a lot for this, Tom! What a reference project to learn from!

Any chance you extend this to a dedicated server version where you can save and load player progress (on logout/login) something like dayz ? That would be even more awesome
                    A little problem I have with the latest version is the cursor not showing up in a packaged project.

Amazing job, really really appreciate it. This is my main source for learning networking in UE4 with C++ and I bet for many others as well!

Comment

Originally posted by IceDealer View Post
                      Thanks a lot for this, Tom! What a reference project to learn from!

Any chance you extend this to a dedicated server version where you can save and load player progress (on logout/login) something like dayz ? That would be even more awesome
                      A little problem I have with the latest version is the cursor not showing up in a packaged project.

Amazing job, really really appreciate it. This is my main source for learning networking in UE4 with C++ and I bet for many others as well!
                      Hi IceDealer,

I am no longer extending the project further beyond keeping it up to date with the new engine releases unfortunately. I like the idea though, perhaps something separate in the future..

- Tom

Comment

Hey all just got into UE4 not long ago so I'm still a complete newb. I'm now messing with C++ and first off I wanted to give a big thanks to Tom Looman! Lots of stuff here I can learn and I've been looking at the more basic things I can understand and its all great. I was wondering tho I've been trying to get the AI to wander. Now in the Behavior Tree, they are stuck on Wait and once I'm in site it switches to Has Sensed Enemy.

I've tried looking through everything in I know how to get to but I can't figure out how to get them to wander. I'm currently using Windows 10, on UE4 4.12.5 and downloaded the zip straight from github. If this is simple a point in the right direction would be awesome if its more complicated then by all means tell me to stop being lazy lol thanks all and thanks again for this great example!
                        Last edited by Nazban; 07-31-2016, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazban View Post
                          Hey all just got into UE4 not long ago so I'm still a complete newb. I'm now messing with C++ and first off I wanted to give a big thanks to Tim Looman! Lots of stuff here I can learn and I've been looking at the more basic things I can understand and its all great. I was wondering tho I've been trying to get the AI to wander. Now in the Behavior Tree, they are stuck on Wait and once I'm in site it switches to Has Sensed Enemy.

I've tried looking through everything in I know how to get to but I can't figure out how to get them to wander. I'm currently using Windows 10, on UE4 4.12.5 and downloaded the zip straight from github. If this is simple a point in the right direction would be awesome if its more complicated then by all means tell me to stop being lazy lol thanks all and thanks again for this great example!
                          Hi Nazban,

To make the bots wander you need to add some SBotWaypoint actors into the level. You can set the Zombie pawn to BotType = Patrolling (Already set by default) so it will pick random waypoints all over the map to wander to.

- Tom

Comment

After I build and package the game, I don't get a mouse cursor on the main menu screen when I run it. I can only move down the list of options using the <tab> key.

If I tab down to the i.p. address box and start entering text, the mouse cursor appears and works fine. The cursor also does not appear when using the <esc> key to bring up the quit menu in-game.

Is this behavior normal? Does anyone have any suggestions?
                            Last edited by Marchpane; 08-01-2016, 01:30 PM.
                            Quantum Mechanics: The dreams that stuff is made from.

Comment

Yes, the cursor is not showing up. Also the bots are not wandering around altough waypoints are in the level and bots are set to patrolling. Any ideas why this is not working ?

Comment

Hi Tom,
                                I have a question, in the ASWeapon::HandleFiring(), I see CanReload() as argument for if statements, I am not sure why there is a /* Reload after firing last round */ block, as far as the logic gos, the block under it will never run. is that right?

Comment

Working...
                                X