Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ongoing C++ Gameplay Example Series: Making a Survival Game

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by zeOrb View Post
    How about little competition?

    I'm doing the same stuff to restore my c++ skills(I've forgotten almost everything during art and supergrid work D: ) and learn networking(Networking bugs are the most fun, can't ignore that!)
    Something like "One multiplayer game a month"
    Ummm ... errrr ... you'll kick my butt in this competition man. 8-}

    I guess we need to define what is considered a game ... cos like I get carried away and try to make everything perfect.
    Quinton Delpeche
    Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

    Comment


      UPDATE: Section 6 docs now available!

      This section concludes the series, I hope you guys learned a lot of new concepts to use for your own games!

      Click image for larger version

Name:	Section6_coopoverview.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	1080685

      Click image for larger version

Name:	Section6_barrier01.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	1080687
      Game Developer @ LODZERO - My Twitter | tomlooman.com UE4 samples & tutorials | C++ Survival Game (Open-Source)

      Comment


        Thanks very much for this series
        I'm still stepping through to get a full understanding of it all (I was good at like section 4)

        It's really helped me by creating a 'jump off' point for my own project which I was struggling to build a base for.
        Survival Game Dev Blog

        Comment


          Awesome stuff Tom, really excited to dig into it.

          What is the licensing on the content btw? Can I use the meshes/mats/etc.?

          Comment


            The licensing is the same as the other Epic Games sample content available.
            Game Developer @ LODZERO - My Twitter | tomlooman.com UE4 samples & tutorials | C++ Survival Game (Open-Source)

            Comment


              Just wondering, do all of the resources provided work in 4.8? Or only the last tutorial is updated to 4.8. I know the hotfix just came out, but that shouldnt change much.

              Comment


                Originally posted by Papa Beans View Post
                Just wondering, do all of the resources provided work in 4.8? Or only the last tutorial is updated to 4.8. I know the hotfix just came out, but that shouldnt change much.
                The project runs on 4.8, the previous 1-4 sections do reference the 4.7 API in the docs but if you download the project all features work in 4.8

                - Tom
                Game Developer @ LODZERO - My Twitter | tomlooman.com UE4 samples & tutorials | C++ Survival Game (Open-Source)

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Tom Looman View Post
                  The project runs on 4.8, the previous 1-4 sections do reference the 4.7 API in the docs but if you download the project all features work in 4.8

                  - Tom
                  Thanks for the fast answer. I would highly prefer to just follow the tutorial series instead of downloading the project as a whole, as I would learn a lot more. Is the API backwards compatible? What I was asking is if I follow the tutorials using the 4.8 engine, will I still get the correct results on the tutorials that were made on 4.7 .

                  Comment


                    Thanks Tom for that tutorial series, really helpful to quickly understand the UE C++ architecture. Btw the links to the source files like SCharacter.cpp in https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Surviv...ame:_Section_1 have become invalid since you seem to have moved some files into subfolders.

                    Comment


                      Hi Tom, I was playing around with the project and studying it, and i think i found some strange behaviour with the "grab" system and/or physics.
                      Here a video (easier to show), just jump on an object and then try to carry it.

                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izXj...ature=youtu.be

                      Im trying to understand what is happening

                      Awesome series thanks again!
                      pd: Excuse my English.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Alexarg View Post
                        Hi Tom, I was playing around with the project and studying it, and i think i found some strange behaviour with the "grab" system and/or physics.
                        Here a video (easier to show), just jump on an object and then try to carry it.

                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izXj...ature=youtu.be

                        Im trying to understand what is happening

                        Awesome series thanks again!
                        Haha, that is really odd I believe I'm disabling collision while carrying an object. It seems to be using the object as a base to stand on, and pushing the character and therefor the platform since it's attached to the character.

                        Originally posted by Papa Beans View Post
                        Thanks for the fast answer. I would highly prefer to just follow the tutorial series instead of downloading the project as a whole, as I would learn a lot more. Is the API backwards compatible? What I was asking is if I follow the tutorials using the 4.8 engine, will I still get the correct results on the tutorials that were made on 4.7 .
                        The series is not a step-by-step, but you could still use the branches on GitHub to go section-by-section to make things a little easier.

                        Originally posted by dgrieshofer View Post
                        Thanks Tom for that tutorial series, really helpful to quickly understand the UE C++ architecture. Btw the links to the source files like SCharacter.cpp in https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Surviv...ame:_Section_1 have become invalid since you seem to have moved some files into subfolders.
                        Right, thanks for letting me know!
                        Game Developer @ LODZERO - My Twitter | tomlooman.com UE4 samples & tutorials | C++ Survival Game (Open-Source)

                        Comment


                          ok i have questions to do if you can help me of course answer me please

                          i changed the time. is going like 16.01-16.02-16.03 ok. The problem is the day-night cycle is not combining with the time. What i have to change?

                          I mean 16.01 day 16.03 night 16.08 day something like this.

                          Comment


                            These Sections look so good, Awesom, i like , hope can see some video tutorials for this.

                            Comment


                              Whenever I try to open the project, Unreal crashes. Is there a fix?

                              Comment


                                excuse, every section is individual? or like section3 contains section2 and section1 content. if i want learn the content , first, i learn section1 , section 2 , section3 ... or directly master.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X