X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by zezba9000 View Post
    C# is easier to code in because its memory safe,
    You are aware of the fact that C# app can leak memory are you?

And 3x slower means 300% slower.
    To put this into perspective:
    We both drive cars:
    You drive 30 km/h
    I drive mine already 90 km/h
    you go to 50 km/h which is a city traffic speed
    and I already 150 km/h which comes close to racing speed
    you hit 80 km/h
    and I am 240 which is almost flying speed.
    3x slower is a massive amount of being slower.

And I'm getting into pointless discussion about languages... unbelievable.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by smallB View Post
    When I hear things like that I'm getting palpitations. How is C# easier to code than C++? It's the same like saying riding a bike is easier than driving a car. C# is simply not as powerful as C++ and so it follows *easier* to learn. Not easier to code. Jesus...
    C# is easier to code in because its memory safe, doesn't have tons of syntax oddities, doesn't requires redundant header files, compiles faster, ect ect.
    While C# can be used to develop lower level code in the "unsafe" block, C++ is easier to get more optimized code. So "easy" is context sensitive but most contexts pertaining to "easy" and how most think of it C# takes the cake. C#'s flaw in performance is hugely held back by the .NET runtime rather then the lang itself (Although .NET Core is only 3x as slow vs C++ now). C# as a syntax and means of reading code is easier but not when it comes to native, this is where it needs some major work.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks that's great!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by wielkiczarnyafgan View Post
    Guys - got one question. I think I did not spot it in the terms of use, when I bought the subscription. "You pay 5% royalty on gross revenue after the first 3,000$ per product, per quarter". Does it mean: do I have to pay 5% of gross revenue, or 20% of gross revenue ? This "per quarter" thing makes me nervous...
    You pay 5% on earnings greater than $3000 per quarter, per game. Technically you can make $12,000 in a year and not owe Epic anything, but that depends on how the sales go.

For more info check out the FAQ here: https://www.unrealengine.com/faq

Here's a quote:

If I release a commercial product, what royalties are due to Epic, and when?
    Generally, you are obligated to pay to Epic 5% of all gross revenue after the first $3,000 per game or application per calendar quarter, regardless of what company collects the revenue. For example, if your product earns $10 from sales on the App Store, the royalty due is $0.50 (5% of $10), even though you would receive roughly $7 from Apple after they deduct their distribution fee of roughly $3 (30% of $10).

Royalty payments are due 45 days after the close of each calendar quarter. Along with the payment, you must send a royalty report on a per-product basis.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Guys - got one question. I think I did not spot it in the terms of use, when I bought the subscription. "You pay 5% royalty on gross revenue after the first 3,000$ per product, per quarter". Does it mean: do I have to pay 5% of gross revenue, or 20% of gross revenue ? This "per quarter" thing makes me nervous...
    5% of gross Just means to pay it per quarter. If you don't make $3,000 in a quarter? You don't pay

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Nsomnia View Post
    C# is so much easier to code in
    When I hear things like that I'm getting palpitations. How is C# easier to code than C++? It's the same like saying riding a bike is easier than driving a car. C# is simply not as powerful as C++ and so it follows *easier* to learn. Not easier to code. Jesus...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You are doing the math wrong. Multiplication does not become addition just because the multiplication happens 4 times.

Say they took 25% as an example:
    1 = (1 * .25f) + (1 * .25f) + (1 * .25f) + (1 * .25f)
    1 = (4 * .25f)

As you can see if I multiplied how much I make in 1 year by 25% its the same as if I multiplied each yearly quarter then added the result.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Nebulon Ranger View Post
    This is actually great news for someone like me who's already stretched pretty thin on subscriptions as it is.

Gives me a new editor to mess around in and learn now that I have the hardware to do it with.
    Exactly, now I can take up the IK or Speed tree subs without thought now, so it helps along others as well

Leave a comment:

• replied
    As a big Unity3D user the biggest thing keeping me from considering the Unreal Engine is lack of platform support. I know its new and needs time to mature so its fine for now but Windows Phone 8 or PlayStation Vita isn't even supported which kills it for me on any Indie dev project.
    Well see what happens now with all the new stuff going on as far as platform support.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by zeOrb View Post
    Well, it's a rational solution, good luck with finishing your game!
    About c# part though: Blueprints are intended as a scripting language replacement. New people often assume it's kismet on steroids, but actually it is very powerful scripting language. The only difference is code/visual "interface" so to say
    I agree I'm loving the node based system not only for scripting, but for materials/shaders as well since I'm a visual learner and my background in and being a tutor for Blender makes node based anything very homely to me. I'm gonna download Unity 5 and see how they've changed it. If the global illumination is that great, maybe. Otherwise I'll stick here. I love your ocean solution and really want to add to it as I pick up more about blueprint/C++/UE 4

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is actually great news for someone like me who's already stretched pretty thin on subscriptions as it is.

Gives me a new editor to mess around in and learn now that I have the hardware to do it with.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I agree with this 90% but you have to remember this will bring a ton of extra professionals, in additon to 100x "I can make the next COD and Minecraft at the same time in 2 weeks" people. Bad and good.

The moderators are indeed hating this. DotCam said this is the craziest he has ever seen the forum in his entire 1200 post history.

Now that Unity 5 is free with all pro features I'm inclined to switch back since I havnt started porting my project to Unreal 4. I love Unreal 4, but I started with Unity (albiet only made a couple small hobby games). Tough choice guysyou have to admit the indie game industry just got revolutionized twice in 24 hours. C# is so much easier to code in, but you still have Unity with its aging PhysX and non-source code, but on the flipside they have compatibility and the asset store. Unreal Engine 4: C++ is needed to make really really complicated things which is a tougher language to learn, albiet much more versitile, Unreal is graphically superior (although I have to see if Unity has included the promised-forever Global Illumination) and has so many features built right in you save 500-1500$ in things you dont have to buy from the asset store. Its a tough time for someone starting a new project (like myself) or getting into the indie game development scene.

Edit: I cant even login to my Unity account online and their site is nearly inaccessable. Epic handled their rush much much better yesterday.
    Well, it's a rational solution, good luck with finishing your game!
    About c# part though: Blueprints are intended as a scripting language replacement. New people often assume it's kismet on steroids, but actually it is very powerful scripting language. The only difference is code/visual "interface" so to say

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The moderators are indeed hating this. DotCam said this is the craziest he has ever seen the forum in his entire 1200 post history.
    I wouldn't go that far! No one here is hating it whatsoever, it's been fun! Sure it's busier than normal, but I have no problem with that, keeps things interesting

Will reply on the other thread shortly!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
    Could you please stop acting like an Admin or Epic employee? You are just a moderator. So stop giving yourself airs, Epic staff is reading here and they will also read what "DoctorPC" has wrote, so you have no reason to answer as if you could do "something special" to fix this text. Thanks.
    Actually, The moderators talk to people at Epic quite a lot; A lot of posts can get overlooked in the forums with all these posts, So when I can help, I shoot a message to someone to try and sort it out.

I never say I'm an admin / Epic employee; I'm a person who wants to help out; And if that means spamming certain staff members with links to help problems get sorted; Then so be it :P

Leave a comment:

Working...
X