Unreal Engine: Now Available to Everyone for Free

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    * I think these engine discussions are interesting, because often the engine you end up choosing is the one you emotionally gel with, regardless of spec. Its a bit like buying a TV. You can do all the online research you want, follow forums and Amazon threads. But when you end up at the store, and try out a model sometimes you have a change of heart based on a gut feeling.

* I'm working on three projects, UDK: Unity 4.x and now UE4. I think each engine has its own unique pros and cons. It all just depends on your game type, level of experience, sample assets and ultimately your time...
    Last edited by ClavosTech; 03-05-2015, 04:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by domi109 View Post
    I tested Unity 5 all evening, it's still as bad as it always has been.
    Unity 3D is nowhere near a competition to Unreal Engine 4, but a tinker toy (it's a fact).
    Yes and that's why some of the Steam top games like Stranded Deep and The Forest, which selling millions of copies are made with Unity.. Because it's a tinker toy...

I tested Unreal at the very beginning when it came out and now again after it went free. Only with the best intentions and a real interest in it. And all I can say is that I'm not impressed with it's stability and performance. Eventually I use the tool that is the most productive one for me. And that is unfortunately not Unreal Engine for me. It has some really nice features and you see a great effort from it's developers. Props to them for that. But for me it's not enough.
    But some of this community here (not all of course) should really put down they fanboy-hats. Saying Unity is bad is just ridiculous and doesn't let you look like someone who is serious about game developing. Especially if you don't specify why Unity is bad.

But whatever floats your boat.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You people are insane. Crazy and insane. I was looking at game making engines like rpgmaker vx and eventually stumbled upon your website and then it hit me - Unreal engine is FREE.
    I've absolutely no idea about programming, 3D work, etc. But I'm getting Unreal right now and I have no idea how I'm going to do anything, but I'm going to do something. Thank you, Epic Games.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by domi109 View Post
    Unity 3D is nowhere near a competition to Unreal Engine 4, but a tinker toy (it's a fact).
    I guess it all depends on what you use the various engines for or what you expect from an engine. For instance not being able to customise your splash screen is a deal breaker for me ... but others might not see it as that.

I think both have their good points and bad points but as everything in life, use the right tools for the right job. I tried Unity after I left Torque 3D and it didn't have the right fit for my needs, Unreal Engine on the other hand fitted my needs perfectly and the price (at that stage) was workable. Obviously I am comparing the FREE version of Unity with the paid version of Unreal (at that stage). The paid version of Unity was out of my price bracket.

Initially the learning curve on Unreal was much higher than I anticipated ... but now I look back at how productive you can be in Unreal and how rapidly you can prototype something ... this is not something I could have achieved with Torque 3D or Unity.

Others will feel differently and a large portion will come try out Unreal and then go back to Unity or another engine because it is what they are comfortable with. All I can say to the new comers is: stick it out with Unreal ... you will be greatly rewarded once you get the hang of it ... and the community is always here to help.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ZeroByte View Post
    Well, I just tried Unity 5 Personal, it's nice they made the Pro features free and all.. But, I'm really starting to like Unreal Engine 4, thanks Epic for making it free, You guy's all rock.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This information really encouraged me to make and publish small games, despite that I already have the engine

What about codes (from game jam) which I didn't redeem? Will you give other prize?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by qdelpeche View Post
    He is just trolling KitatusStudios ... I find if you don't feed IT ... IT goes away. 8-}
    Sometimes I really wish there was Reddit style up/down votes for posts, with post being hidden behind a toggle when it receives enough down votes,

That way the forum would be much cleaner for those of us who walk atop the bridge, and those who like to look below can toggle posts if they want to see them.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Same here, not to mention it has forced DRM and analytics. Which is a deal breaker for me (even if UT's tools were up to par with UE).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, I just tried Unity 5 Personal, it's nice they made the Pro features free and all.. But, I'm really starting to like Unreal Engine 4, thanks Epic for making it free, You guy's all rock.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Why the UE4 Sizzle Reel video on youtube now appears as private?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5orTzUuZPOg

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Both C# and C++ have their uses, they've been tossed back and forth lot's of times on the forums and there will never be a defined winner, each has strengths and weaknesses. I did however find it interesting that Unity commented on the speed advantage of C++, and even put it to the test. The test yielded 40 FPS in C++ and 14 FPS in C#. Interesting result.

Anyway.. there's another thread for that kind of chat Right Here

Meanwhile... yay free stuff!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So not only can I get it for free now, but you also gave me money?! Everything I know about how to do business says this is wrong, but it feels so right. Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    c++ is not always faster that c# one example is C# Dictionary vs c++ hash map
    http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/...-Csharp-vs-NET
    having a garbage collector if you create/destroy thousands of objects you may have a litle advantage over c++ of course with c++ you may find a ways to do it faster but you will consume a lot more coffee in the process
    if all the engine was done in c# probable will be extremely slower but if you use c# just to control ue objects like blueprints are used probable the penalty will not be so big.
    there is already a c# for ue4 https://mono-ue.github.io/
    if you truly want to know ue4 there is only one way c++ but for prototyping and small things c# and blueprints may be a perfect choice

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by smallB View Post
    You are aware of the fact that C# app can leak memory are you?

And 3x slower means 300% slower.
    To put this into perspective:
    We both drive cars:
    You drive 30 km/h
    I drive mine already 90 km/h
    you go to 50 km/h which is a city traffic speed
    and I already 150 km/h which comes close to racing speed
    you hit 80 km/h
    and I am 240 which is almost flying speed.
    3x slower is a massive amount of being slower.

And I'm getting into pointless discussion about languages... unbelievable.
    Yes i'm a very well established C# developer and fully understand memory leaks in C#. Its still considered a memory safe language for 90% of the work you do. When its not you take spacial precautions vs worrying about it all the time with C++. Hope you're not using that as an argument in favor of C++ as it doesn't make sense.

Also I wasn't arguing the merits of performance but rather how easier coding is. Yes 3x = 300% stating it differently doesn't change it mathematically. 3x slower doesn't matter for huge amount of projects FYI. In fact C# / .NET is actually faster for desktop applications in many cases, just not games (depends on the project). Although with IL2CPP, SharpLang(.NET to LLVM) ect C# as a lang will eventually be almost on par with C++ is my guess. But that hypothetical is not realized yet.

@DotCam Sry about that i'll let this go ;p

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Let's keep this discussion on topic please, if you wan't to discuss the differences between programming languages feel free to open a thread in the General Discussion section. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X