Unreal Engine: Now Available to Everyone for Free

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cyberdemons View Post
    You people are insane. Crazy and insane. I was looking at game making engines like rpgmaker vx and eventually stumbled upon your website and then it hit me - Unreal engine is FREE.
    I've absolutely no idea about programming, 3D work, etc. But I'm getting Unreal right now and I have no idea how I'm going to do anything, but I'm going to do something. Thank you, Epic Games.
    Have fun

Comment

I was mostly subscribed to show support. Is there a way to still donate? Maybe you can have a system where if you pay you may get faster official support.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

I would be nice for Epic to clarify about $3k per quarter thing. Does it mean that each quarter separate billing cycle? For example, if I make $5k first quarter and $2k next quarter and $3k the following quarter, would I only pay 5% off $5k gross (or $2k gross?) for the first quarter only? Or since I made (hypothetically) $5k gross in the first quarter, I have to pay 5% for the first quarter and on ?

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
            if I make $5k first quarter and $2k next quarter and $3k the following quarter, would I only pay 5% off $5k gross (or $2k gross?) for the first quarter only?
            Yep, that's how it works. You'd only pay for that first quarter and only on the $2,000 after the first $3,000. You can theoretically make $12,000 a year without paying the royalty if you made exactly $3,000 every quarter. Let me know if you have any questions
            Last edited by Alexander Paschall; 03-04-2015, 12:07 PM.
            Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
            How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
            Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

Comment

I would like to say Thank You for this. One of the problems I was thinking about was 'How is a game going to have modding support when the tools to easily make mods are behind a pay wall?' Thank you kindly.

Comment

Originally posted by David Hattori View Post
                Yes and that's why some of the Steam top games like Stranded Deep and The Forest, which selling millions of copies are made with Unity.. Because it's a tinker toy...
                Please keep in mind the fact that those games are played on youtube by let's players who have millions of subscribers. So those games are getting their own "advertisement" and are being showed to millions of people worldwide. Same thing happened to minecraft.

I tested Unreal at the very beginning when it came out and now again after it went free. Only with the best intentions and a real interest in it. And all I can say is that I'm not impressed with it's stability and performance.
                That's why so many AAA games were developed with unreal engine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...l_Engine_games

Eventually I use the tool that is the most productive one for me. And that is unfortunately not Unreal Engine for me. It has some really nice features and you see a great effort from it's developers. Props to them for that. But for me it's not enough.
                But some of this community here (not all of course) should really put down they fanboy-hats. Saying Unity is bad is just ridiculous and doesn't let you look like someone who is serious about game developing. Especially if you don't specify why Unity is bad.

But whatever floats your boat.
                Okay... No comment on that
                Last edited by Simpler; 03-04-2015, 06:09 PM.
                "Make things simple as possible
                but not Simpler"

- Albert Einstein -

Comment

Originally posted by Chariots
                  @Chariots @Chance
                  Is there a listing showing all the games that were showcased on this reel?
                  Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by cyberdemons View Post
                    You people are insane. Crazy and insane. I was looking at game making engines like rpgmaker vx and eventually stumbled upon your website and then it hit me - Unreal engine is FREE.
                    I've absolutely no idea about programming, 3D work, etc. But I'm getting Unreal right now and I have no idea how I'm going to do anything, but I'm going to do something. Thank you, Epic Games.
                    Welcome to the forums, cyberdemons! The best way to get started is to take a look at our documentation and videos. Here are a few links to get you started!

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Videos

A great series for learning the basics is here: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Videos...9Cx9wHoBB7rxFl

Finally, post on the forums! Our community is amazing and most of the developers here are more than willing to help!
                    Adam Davis | Marketplace Support | Epic Games
                    How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues? | Answerhub Bug Reports | Twitter

Comment

Thanks for this Epic Games!

Comment

I just spent a couple of days with Unity 5.0 and it is a lot better than Unity 4.0, performance was much better I must admit even loaded full of post. BUT Unreal Engine has so many more tools and just looks absolutely beautiful even if it is a little rough around the edges, it's the promise of what can be and no limitations which as a developer which makes it a miracle.

We're spoilt for choice now I must admit, but with Epic's amazing support and the engine ever improving at a rapid pace it's still in my number 1 spot. Although I will have a sneaky peak at source 2 whenever it peeps it's head.

Comment

I have had my eye on UE for years now. It's amazing how far everything has come in UE4.

Even though I fully agree that the 19 dollars-a-month was affordable, for a game design hobbyist like myself, I wanted to be able to learn on my free time, but the commitment to a monthly payment kept me from doing so. To students, or simply, any young kid with a computer who wants to learn, free access means everything.

I look forward to UE4's future.

Thank you everyone at Epic!

Comment

Y'all are full on brill'
                            Thanks so very much!
                            I hope this nets billions for you.

Comment

Originally posted by TigrisMorte View Post
                              Y'all are full on brill'
                              Thanks so very much!
                              I hope this nets billions for you.
                              Epic Games deserved it for sure! Community love at its best!

Comment

Originally posted by hamsterPL View Post
                                This information really encouraged me to make and publish small games, despite that I already have the engine

What about codes (from game jam) which I didn't redeem? Will you give other prize?
                                I'm also interested in the use for the codes, any new info on this?
                                "sic parvis magna"
                                @Meguido

Comment

Working...
                                X