No announcement yet.

Unreal Engine: Now Available to Everyone for Free

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both C# and C++ have their uses, they've been tossed back and forth lot's of times on the forums and there will never be a defined winner, each has strengths and weaknesses. I did however find it interesting that Unity commented on the speed advantage of C++, and even put it to the test. The test yielded 40 FPS in C++ and 14 FPS in C#. Interesting result.

Anyway.. there's another thread for that kind of chat Right Here

Meanwhile... yay free stuff!

Comment

Why the UE4 Sizzle Reel video on youtube now appears as private?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5orTzUuZPOg
      Regards,
      Denys

WIP: Crabby Ball (2D platform game)

Comment

Well, I just tried Unity 5 Personal, it's nice they made the Pro features free and all.. But, I'm really starting to like Unreal Engine 4, thanks Epic for making it free, You guy's all rock.

Comment

Same here, not to mention it has forced DRM and analytics. Which is a deal breaker for me (even if UT's tools were up to par with UE).

Comment

Originally posted by qdelpeche View Post
            He is just trolling KitatusStudios ... I find if you don't feed IT ... IT goes away. 8-}
            Sometimes I really wish there was Reddit style up/down votes for posts, with post being hidden behind a toggle when it receives enough down votes,

That way the forum would be much cleaner for those of us who walk atop the bridge, and those who like to look below can toggle posts if they want to see them.
            Bioelectrical Inference Endjinn

Comment

This information really encouraged me to make and publish small games, despite that I already have the engine

What about codes (from game jam) which I didn't redeem? Will you give other prize?
              Game frameworks on Unreal Marketplace:

Third Person Shooter Kit - February 2017 Community Pick! - https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...on-shooter-kit

Side Scroller Shooter Kit - https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...er-shooter-kit

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroByte View Post
                Well, I just tried Unity 5 Personal, it's nice they made the Pro features free and all.. But, I'm really starting to like Unreal Engine 4, thanks Epic for making it free, You guy's all rock.
                I tested Unity 5 all evening, it's still as bad as it always has been.
                Unity 3D is nowhere near a competition to Unreal Engine 4, but a tinker toy (it's a fact).

Comment

Originally posted by domi109 View Post
                  Unity 3D is nowhere near a competition to Unreal Engine 4, but a tinker toy (it's a fact).
                  I guess it all depends on what you use the various engines for or what you expect from an engine. For instance not being able to customise your splash screen is a deal breaker for me ... but others might not see it as that.

I think both have their good points and bad points but as everything in life, use the right tools for the right job. I tried Unity after I left Torque 3D and it didn't have the right fit for my needs, Unreal Engine on the other hand fitted my needs perfectly and the price (at that stage) was workable. Obviously I am comparing the FREE version of Unity with the paid version of Unreal (at that stage). The paid version of Unity was out of my price bracket.

Initially the learning curve on Unreal was much higher than I anticipated ... but now I look back at how productive you can be in Unreal and how rapidly you can prototype something ... this is not something I could have achieved with Torque 3D or Unity.

Others will feel differently and a large portion will come try out Unreal and then go back to Unity or another engine because it is what they are comfortable with. All I can say to the new comers is: stick it out with Unreal ... you will be greatly rewarded once you get the hang of it ... and the community is always here to help.
                  Quinton Delpeche
                  Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

Comment

You people are insane. Crazy and insane. I was looking at game making engines like rpgmaker vx and eventually stumbled upon your website and then it hit me - Unreal engine is FREE.
                    I've absolutely no idea about programming, 3D work, etc. But I'm getting Unreal right now and I have no idea how I'm going to do anything, but I'm going to do something. Thank you, Epic Games.

Comment

Originally posted by domi109 View Post
                      Yes and that's why some of the Steam top games like Stranded Deep and The Forest, which selling millions of copies are made with Unity.. Because it's a tinker toy...

I tested Unreal at the very beginning when it came out and now again after it went free. Only with the best intentions and a real interest in it. And all I can say is that I'm not impressed with it's stability and performance. Eventually I use the tool that is the most productive one for me. And that is unfortunately not Unreal Engine for me. It has some really nice features and you see a great effort from it's developers. Props to them for that. But for me it's not enough.
                      But some of this community here (not all of course) should really put down they fanboy-hats. Saying Unity is bad is just ridiculous and doesn't let you look like someone who is serious about game developing. Especially if you don't specify why Unity is bad.

But whatever floats your boat.

Comment

* I think these engine discussions are interesting, because often the engine you end up choosing is the one you emotionally gel with, regardless of spec. Its a bit like buying a TV. You can do all the online research you want, follow forums and Amazon threads. But when you end up at the store, and try out a model sometimes you have a change of heart based on a gut feeling.

* I'm working on three projects, UDK: Unity 4.x and now UE4. I think each engine has its own unique pros and cons. It all just depends on your game type, level of experience, sample assets and ultimately your time...
                        Last edited by ClavosTech; 03-05-2015, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Just a reminder guys ... keep it civil and friendly. Thanks. 8-}
                          Quinton Delpeche
                          Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

Comment

I saw the news yesterday evening.
                            Great Move, Epic Games!
                            Thanks a lot!

Comment

That's Epic!

Comment

Originally posted by David Hattori View Post
                                Yes and that's why some of the Steam top games like Stranded Deep and The Forest, which selling millions of copies are made with Unity.. Because it's a tinker toy...

I tested Unreal at the very beginning when it came out and now again after it went free. Only with the best intentions and a real interest in it. And all I can say is that I'm not impressed with it's stability and performance. Eventually I use the tool that is the most productive one for me. And that is unfortunately not Unreal Engine for me. It has some really nice features and you see a great effort from it's developers. Props to them for that. But for me it's not enough.
                                But some of this community here (not all of course) should really put down they fanboy-hats. Saying Unity is bad is just ridiculous and doesn't let you look like someone who is serious about game developing. Especially if you don't specify why Unity is bad.

But whatever floats your boat.
                                My background is not programming, but architecture, VFX, compositing and I spend my time on a project getting the lighting to look realistic - in UE4 the lighting is marvelous something Unity can't do. In fact, Unity got me frustrated last evening getting something look as near as good as in my UE4 project (without success). If I render in 3ds max and compare to UE4 I can't be bothered to fire up mental ray to render but do it in Unreal. Then I was watching the archviz demo from Unity - what a joke ! Also, Unity has no visual scripting out of the box, but you have to buy it on top of the license - meaning, if you collaborate with others they too need to buy it to get the job done, which is simply not acceptable for hardcore indie developers who calculate on a month by month basis instead like studios who calculate annually.

Then there is the performance in Unity. Out of the box, the amount of time you spend in Unity with getting a good frame rate vs Unreal 4 - you are at designing level 20 in UE4 while Unity is still at level 1.

It's true there are tons of games made in Unity gotten green lit on Steam, but the quantity can't be your argument here. I tried many Unity games and could write volumes how bad the performance is in these games. In the end of the day, it's QUALITY, NOT QUANTITY.

Another last word to the 5% royalty, which many pro-Unity trolls seem to have a problem with. If you publish your game by EA or UBI etc. they too make you a deal to get a slice from the cake whether the game is done with UE4 or game engine XYZ. I say the 5% is a fantastic deal getting the game engine free to use and updates etc. It's more than meeting halfway from Epic, so, again a big Thank You is more appropriate than jealous sock puppets from Unity Tech trying to pull developers away from here.

here are some Unity "highlights" ...

Lightshafts:
                                https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=photo%2cPNG

it's like the sky is a blue tent with a hole in the sky where the sun is shining through.... gosh, that's bad !

glass refraction (unavailable)

it's lens distortion but not refraction

Last edited by domi109; 03-04-2015, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X