Unreal Engine: Now Available to Everyone for Free

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dev100000 View Post
    Could they at least provide seperate club rooms?

Any developer in the sense of a 'developer' was able to afford the $19. So far the UE4 $19 provided a barrier for youtube kids.
    The $0 thing opens the doors for millions of youtube kids, who after spending endless time in UE4 figuring out what dot product means, will publish 'blood spray kits' and so on.
    I can already see 99% of the market place content being warrior princess and dragon stuff. I mean this is going to happen.
    I do not consider myself elitist when I say that all those common people in the club will drag the quality down and UE4 will get a reputation next to Blender vs 3dsmax.
    I am a bit afraid of this.
    It's no different - it was never much of a "barrier", if I was an 9 year old youtube kid I'd just ask my mom for €20 then unsubscribe.

Who cares if kids want to try make games, it's great, everyone starts somewhere. If you don't want to help them on the forums or play their games, then don't.
    It won't stop larger game studios using the engine.

You can't use the word "common people" without sounding elitist.

Also, Blender has a great reputation.

Comment

AAAAH! It's free! I don't know what to say! I bought it maybe 10 days ago... Thanks you, thank you, thank you! Now my friends are going to use it!

A big thanks you from me, and many other developers around the world.

Comment

Is anyone else having trouble installing it? I keep getting this error code 2738.

Comment

Originally posted by dev100000 View Post
          Could they at least provide seperate club rooms?

Any developer in the sense of a 'developer' was able to afford the $19. So far the UE4 $19 provided a barrier for youtube kids.
          The $0 thing opens the doors for millions of youtube kids, who after spending endless time in UE4 figuring out what dot product means, will publish 'blood spray kits' and so on.
          I can already see 99% of the market place content being warrior princess and dragon stuff. I mean this is going to happen.
          I do not consider myself elitist when I say that all those common people in the club will drag the quality down and UE4 will get a reputation next to Blender vs 3dsmax.
          I am a bit afraid of this.
          Funny thoughts.

I started programming at the age of 12. This was 36 Years ago.

What would happen if people like me starting to complain about people with not-so-much-experience?

Comment

Thankyou for making a AAA platform which artists with little technical skills can use to make games. Hopefully the learning curve continues to be low.

Comment

Thank you Epic

Comment

ok so i just register to download UE4,i press the button get unreal i created an account,then i went to dashboard and pressed download UE for windows,i waited and it show epic game launcher,i tried to find to download from there UE but there isn't anything,what to do?

Comment

Originally posted by DEVASTRATOR View Post
                  ok so i just register to download UE4,i press the button get unreal i created an account,then i went to dashboard and pressed download UE for windows,i waited and it show epic game launcher,i tried to find to download from there UE but there isn't anything,what to do?
                  Has the launcher installed and you have ran it? After you sign in, click on the library tab in the launcher and you will have the option to add an engine, then click the Install button, and it will download and install

Comment

Originally posted by PerpetualChange View Post
                    I absolutely love this!...But is there a donate button somewhere? I feel bad having such a wonderful engine for free. I'd like to give every once in a while.
                    +1 i Agreed, Epic gave us a impressive (im still shocked at 3:00 spanish hour) a win-win move, I would (unles you get profit for that 5% of your games logically, this does count really) donate being you as developer, modder, mapper, contents or being a simple gamer from community. They deserve a great and big gratitude for that unexpected movement.

Long live Epic!
                    long live UT and Unreal!

Comment

Originally posted by Mosel3y View Post
                      Has the launcher installed and you have ran it? After you sign in, click on the library tab in the launcher and you will have the option to add an engine, then click the Install button, and it will download and install
                      thank you doing it right now

Comment

I'd love to be able to take my $19/month and spread it around the community a bit - I've really relied on the likes of Rama to move my project on (i did actually commission him to make a plug in for me) and it'd be great if I could throw a few dollars micropayment around - maybe we could have a button marked 'tip contributor' and a small payment is made to these altruists which exist in the forums?

Once more, thanks epic for all this neat stuff.

Dan

Comment

I have bad feeling about it...
                          shall we expect licence change next to something more restrict in return for free engine?

Comment

Originally posted by a.carter1182 View Post
                            Mind blowing.......I can't say thanks enough. I hope I can give back somehow.....I'll have to figure it out
                            I feel the same, but I believe what Epic ultimately wants us to do for giving back is to go out there and make a game!

If you end up selling it, and it succeeds, Epic succeeds as well...

-Will

Comment

Originally posted by wormpattern View Post
                              I have bad feeling about it...
                              shall we expect licence change next to something more restrict in return for free engine?
                              Nope It's all the same apart from getting rid of the subscription fee; You're not dreaming: This is happening
                              KITATUS
                              "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Comment

Since I found out about this, I took my mission to be to find some outdated stuff from your websites, and here we go:
                                https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/we...nreal-engine-4

"For $19/month you can have access to everything, including the Unreal Editor in ready-to-run form, and the engine’s complete C++ source code hosted on GitHub for collaborative development."

This blog post has been my UE4 bookmark for half a year now, so I was sort of surprised the outdated info is here, not in some dark corner of documentation nobody has visited since the original release.

Comment

Working...
                                X