Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dev100000 View Post
    haha...ok: 4.71, not 4.7

But honestly, I think it is a good move from Epic. I will certainly spent the $30 for some nice landscapes.
    I meant your 4.99999 lol. It goes like this: 4.10, but then again we've seen Microsoft go from 8 to 10 :P

Comment

Originally posted by gabrielefx View Post
      too many changes in just one year...
      The app updates daily...
      I spend more time to read what's new in this forum than to learn the software...
      Ok now It's free but I preferred to pay this service as I pay Autodesk, Adobe, Microsoft monthly.
      If I pay I can request a feature and someone will answer.
      Now thousands of users will ask for free updates
      Please make Unreal Pro.

thanks
      Hi GabrieleFX, nice to see you here too. The name rang a bell

http://www.octane.it/gallery/gabrielefx-7/

I am completely with you. I would pay e.g. $9.99 for a service plan or something like this.

Look at this Gabriele
      https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...6-Scandinavian
      Last edited by dev100000; 03-03-2015, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Errvald View Post
        I meant your 4.99999 lol. It goes like this: 4.10, but then again we've seen Microsoft go from 8 to 10 :P
        That's correct, it goes 4.10, 4.11 and so on, just don't confuse it with windows; 8, 8.1 and 10 are just names, not versions, widnows 8 has a version of 6.2 and 8.1 a version of 6.3 for instance.

Comment

This is great to see. It's what the world needs more of these days. There is so much to go around and so much opportunity, business just needs to identify and embrace win-win models like this.

Also, I don't know if anyone has mentioned it either, but I guess if Tencent have a major stake in Epic and are also responsible for these type of decisions, then a thanks need to go out to them also. So pass it on if that's the case.

Comment

@gabrielefx
            @dev100000

You two do realize that Epic offers custom licensing deals for companies who wish to have different terms such as dedicated support and a larger impact on features in the engine? You have to negotiate the terms with them, of course, but that hasn't changed from before.

Personally, I believe that this decision has brought nothing but good for Epic and the engine as a whole. Dropping the very small pay barrier has opened the gates for thousands of developers to get into the engine, create their games and improve the tools. The engine is open-source, and more people most likely means more ideas and features ^.=.^
            Talk to me on qTox: E8FF4A2B55C2C3A8BC7B60F729E8884BF95CEB4FE8906AE76F5941B08E73066AF562A26C280B
            Stalk me on the IRC: jarl or jargon
            Need a launcher for your games? Check out Launchpad

Comment

I should probably add UE4 to the community list of free tools and resources
              [FREE] Procedural Bridge Blueprint, [FREE] Spline Enabled Ivy BP

Comment

Oh yeah ... forgot about that ... as Jargon mentioned: Custom Licensing.
                Quinton Delpeche
                Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

Comment

qdelpeche @ Yeh I was more agreeing with you anyway

Comment

They announce $5m in dev grants and then they get rid of the subscription. They are practically paying us to make games!
                    Map Generator 1.0
                    Map Generator 2.0
                    Map Generator 3.0

Comment

Can't understand why everybody is so happy with this news. I had no problem paying 20$/month for such a great engine (with source code). Now I think there will be way MORE people on the forums asking dumb questions, posting their uber MMORPG projects and it will be harder to find interesting information or project/projects. Hope I'm wrong and the quality of this great UE4 community won't decrease.

P.S. Poor moderators
                      Last edited by Shockwave-peter; 03-03-2015, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Have I mentioned that you guys are awesome?

Because you are.
                        Plugins: GES - Node.js - TensorFlow - Socket.io Client - ZipUtility - Leap Motion - Hydra - Myo

Comment

Originally posted by Shockwave-peter View Post
                          Can't understand why everybody is so happy with this news. I had no problem paying 20$/month for such a great engine (with source code). Now I think there will be way MORE people on the forums asking dumb questions, posting their uber MMORPG projects and it will be harder to find interesting information or project/projects. Hope I'm wrong and the quality of this great UE4 community won't decrease.
                          I think the initial influx will be information overload ... but eventually it will settle down and the quality will go up. I agree with not having a problem paying the $19 ... but I guess only time will tell how it goes.

I am kind of neutral ... excited to see what is going to happen ... a little nervous because of have been through something similar before with another game engine ... slightly overwhelmed because of the influx of new users ... I am kind of going Ninja on the forums now ... until things settle down. 8-}
                          Quinton Delpeche
                          Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

Comment

Epic news is epic

Also, am really doing my very best to resist trolling the 1% who are complaining about the "common folk" being allowed into the country club.

Gosh darn it.
                            Last edited by ioFlow Studios; 03-03-2015, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Triplelexx View Post
                              There's been a lot of change with this engine along with Unity recently. I would expect some transitional issues.

The fact that the process is very open with this engine, and the progress consistent, I have a lot of faith going forward.
                              If they project to continue progress at the same pace, in addition to offering open access to licenses I think it's great.

Do you consider that maybe this deal will mean more people might contribute to improving the engine for free?

I don't think things are so clear cut, and I think it's an Epic move.
                              Well the biggest benefit to me is modding, users sign up for a free UE4 account and hey presto you can allow them to have an editor. More people will contribute? Potentially, but if you're remotely serious about games development than $20.00 is nothing, so no I don't believe it will greatly expand "contribution" pools. A counter balance would be the influx of new developers when Epic are already stretched thin as is.

We've had a lot of support and great interaction with Epic thus far, as long as that doesn't change then I'm all for.

Comment

Originally posted by ioFlow Studios View Post
                                Also, am really doing my very best to resist trolling the 1% who are complaining about the "common folk" being allowed into the country club.
                                Could they at least provide seperate club rooms?

Any developer in the sense of a 'developer' was able to afford the $19. So far the UE4 $19 provided a barrier for youtube kids.
                                The $0 thing opens the doors for millions of youtube kids, who after spending endless time in UE4 figuring out what dot product means, will publish 'blood spray kits' and so on.
                                I can already see 99% of the market place content being warrior princess and dragon stuff. I mean this is going to happen.
                                I do not consider myself elitist when I say that all those common people in the club will drag the quality down and UE4 will get a reputation next to Blender vs 3dsmax.
                                I am a bit afraid of this.

Comment

Working...
                                X