Unreal Engine: Now Available to Everyone for Free

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dev100000
    I agree with all the sceptical comments. A more experienced developer would rather see $19.99/month and support/bug fixes/further development.

Going free, now that they are at 4.7 and close to UE5, means:

1. fire the majority of the per project developers, i.e. slim down on salaray wages
    2. ramp down support
    3. ramp down development speed towards UE4.999999

It is a step towards abandon ware. Nothing to celebrate actually, unless the your are the 8yr old kid dreaming of making a game, as mentioned above.
    Thats a false dichotomy and so no just because something goes free / Open Source in no way will it always result in the outcome you suggest.

Comment

It is longer impossible to download UE4 in Belarus, it seems to be impossible in Lebanon too, and you say "to Everyone" ? Really ? What about the money we spend previously on subscription, what about the projects we started and now can't complete because UE4 online resources is just blocked for us ?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexey Kryshen View Post
        It is longer impossible to download UE4 in Belarus, it seems to be impossible in Lebanon too, and you say "to Everyone" ? Really ? What about the money we spend previously on subscription, what about the projects we started and now can't complete because UE4 online resources is just blocked for us ?
        They are currently investigating this; It shouldn't be the case. You've been told already that they are investigating this though - So please have some patience! :> With GDC happening and this massive news, They've got a LOT on their plate this week!
        KITATUS
        "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Comment

Originally posted by KitatusStudios View Post
          dev100000, Please do not spread misinformation. We're nowhere near UE5 and support or development speed is continuing at exactly the same pace.
          He is just trolling KitatusStudios ... I find if you don't feed IT ... IT goes away. 8-}
          Quinton Delpeche
          Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

Comment

At the risk of getting into argument with anyone (again)...
            I really can't understand people who complain about being given UE4 for free. I mean, seriously guys. Why? How can you be "unhappy" about this decision? And is it Epic's move? Sure. It is business move. Believe it or not, Epic also needs to make living. You don't expect people to work for free do you? As long as there is no underlying "bad intentions" (and I don't believe there are) I really cannot have more respect for Epic at this moment. They give you UE4 for freeeee!!!

Please don't complain about it.

Comment

Thanks! That's Epic

Comment

I agree with all the sceptical comments. A more experienced developer would rather see $19.99/month and support/bug fixes/further development.

Going free, now that they are at 4.7 and close to UE5, means:

1. fire the majority of the per project developers, i.e. slim down on salaray wages
                2. ramp down support
                3. ramp down development speed towards UE4.999999

It is a step towards abandon ware. Nothing to celebrate actually, unless the your are the 8yr old kid dreaming of making a game, as mentioned above.
                that's a fairly dim view, I would say, I guess they have the stats on the number of people that still download UDK as free engine and targets them to UE4, because they might have been Flocking to the Unity or other engine. a lot of people seem to be turn off by the 19per month, but don't underestimate the 8 year old kid the more exposer people have to a program the more likely they will use it in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrdazza_460 View Post
                  ...but don't underestimate the 8 year old kid the more exposer people have to a program the more likely they will use it in the future.
                  I think someone quoted earlier on in the forums ... and I ad-lib ... but if a 8 year old now has access to the game engine for FREE and he can kick my butt with creating a game ... then we should celebrate and be happy ... I think this is the point.

Some people (and I am not taking a stab at them) saw the $19 per month as their entry in to an elitist club and now they are being threatened because so many more people will come and challenge them. Personally this is a good thing and I see the following happening:
                  1. There will be a huge influx of new people taking on Unreal Engine
                  2. Some will stay but some will go back to other engines that they are more comfortable with
                  3. The engine will grow stronger because more games will be developed (both good and bad)
                  4. The community will continue to grow and will continue to move forward

For a while, we will have to cope with a lot of questions and a lot of repeat questions ... but eventually I think the ship will stabilise and the normality will return. Those that don't like it ... will leave ... some of them will try to justify their leaving by complaining that this all happened because the engine went free (I have seen this happen before on an engine that shall not be named).

In the end there will always be those for and those against what has happened ... it is not up to use to make them choose or judge their choices ... all we can hope is that they don't get nasty and try to pollute the forums. They should rather move on and find an engine and a business model that suits them.

Finally ... my mom always used to say: If you don't have something nice to say rather not say anything at all ... hopefully one day internet users will remember that there are human beings on the other side of the screen and they have feelings too.

p.s. To all the naysayers ... I wish you well and good luck. I am however sticking with Epic and taking this roller coaster ride to the end.
                  Quinton Delpeche
                  Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

Comment

I am actually happy that they released it for free.

I only want to express concerns, because this model is common practise in software development. Also quite understandable, since software does not need that same man power for maintaining, than for development.

But I also think, Epic Games, does a great move here.
                    Your concerns are invalid, you can't even get the software version right.

Comment

Originally posted by Errvald View Post
                      Your concerns are invalid, you can't even get the software version right.
                      haha...ok: 4.71, not 4.7

But honestly, I think it is a good move from Epic. I will certainly spent the $30 for some nice landscapes.

Comment

Originally posted by dev100000 View Post
                        I will certainly spent the $30 for some nice landscapes.
                        LOL .. you had to get that in there didn't you ... 8-p
                        Quinton Delpeche

Comment

too many changes in just one year...
                          The app updates daily...
                          I spend more time to read what's new in this forum than to learn the software...
                          Ok now It's free but I preferred to pay this service as I pay Autodesk, Adobe, Microsoft monthly.
                          If I pay I can request a feature and someone will answer.
                          Now thousands of users will ask for free updates
                          Please make Unreal Pro.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by qdelpeche View Post
                            I think someone quoted earlier on in the forums ... and I ad-lib ... but if a 8 year old now has access to the game engine for FREE and he can kick my butt with creating a game ... then we should celebrate and be happy ... I think this is the point.

Some people (and I am not taking a stab at them) saw the $19 per month as their entry in to an elitist club and now they are being threatened because so many more people will come and challenge them. Personally this is a good thing and I see the following happening:
                            1. There will be a huge influx of new people taking on Unreal Engine
                            2. Some will stay but some will go back to other engines that they are more comfortable with
                            3. The engine will grow stronger because more games will be developed (both good and bad)
                            4. The community will continue to grow and will continue to move forward

For a while, we will have to cope with a lot of questions and a lot of repeat questions ... but eventually I think the ship will stabilise and the normality will return. Those that don't like it ... will leave ... some of them will try to justify their leaving by complaining that this all happened because the engine went free (I have seen this happen before on an engine that shall not be named).

In the end there will always be those for and those against what has happened ... it is not up to use to make them choose or judge their choices ... all we can hope is that they don't get nasty and try to pollute the forums. They should rather move on and find an engine and a business model that suits them.

Finally ... my mom always used to say: If you don't have something nice to say rather not say anything at all ... hopefully one day internet users will remember that there are human beings on the other side of the screen and they have feelings too.

p.s. To all the naysayers ... I wish you well and good luck. I am however sticking with Epic and taking this roller coaster ride to the end.
                            I understand there concerns and there frustration though, people go to university, study hard, get a job, work hard, work there way up in the industry, only to have a bunch of people like me who have no qualification come in and try to make a game, and making products like UE4 free and others like blender may seem like there industry is going down the toilet with all really **** games out there. but when you really face the facts 97% of people like me will never relace anything another 2% will crate a game that that will be forgotten in 2 minutes and 1% of people will crate game that is O.K. in it's own right. but in saying that people shouldn't be put off buy other people that have a grudge against the "hobbits" as playing games are fun and making game should be as well
                            Last edited by WeekendWarrior; 03-03-2015, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gabrielefx View Post
                              too many changes in just one year...
                              The app updates daily...
                              I spend more time to read what's new in this forum than to learn the software...
                              Ok now It's free but I preferred to pay this service as I pay Autodesk, Adobe, Microsoft monthly.
                              If I pay I can request a feature and someone will answer.
                              Now thousands of users will ask for free updates
                              Please make Unreal Pro.

thanks
                              You paid and you could ask and suggest. Never request.
                              Nothing changes. You still can ask and suggest. And if the suggestion is worthy, I'm pretty certain they will consider it and perhaps even implement.

Comment

@gabrielefx: You don't have to upgrade to every version. Take it slow and start with an idea ... don't try to become an expert over night. And I really hope for the love of all that is holy Epic never goes for a PRO version.

@Mrdazza_460: That was not intended as a poke at people like you. I for one have no concerns and I am looking forward to the challenges. Your analysis is right and anyone threatened by that should maybe choose another industry. The Indie movement is all about innovation and community ... or ubuntu as we say in South Africa. I wish everyone all the best and look forward to seeing what comes out.
                                Quinton Delpeche

Comment

Working...
                                X