Unreal Engine: Now Available to Everyone for Free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowKindGames View Post
    Agreed, rather them charge double and hire more staff for support / fixes than go free.
    There's been a lot of change with this engine along with Unity recently. I would expect some transitional issues.

The fact that the process is very open with this engine, and the progress consistent, I have a lot of faith going forward.
    If they project to continue progress at the same pace, in addition to offering open access to licenses I think it's great.

Do you consider that maybe this deal will mean more people might contribute to improving the engine for free?

I don't think things are so clear cut, and I think it's an Epic move.
    Last edited by Triplelexx; 03-03-2015, 12:58 AM.

Comment

so if the game sold 3700$ on Q1, 2800$ on Q2, and 1200$ on Q3, would the total royalty be 5% of 7700$(all sales), 5% of 3700$(all sales from quaters which exceeded 3000$), 5% of 4700$(all sales - 3000$) or 5% of 700$ (all sales past 3000$/quater).

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorPC View Post
        so if the game sold 3700$ on Q1, 2800$ on Q2, and 1200$ on Q3, would the total royalty be 5% of 7700$(all sales), 5% of 3700$(all sales from quaters which exceeded 3000$), 5% of 4700$(all sales - 3000$) or 5% of 700$ (all sales past 3000$/quater).
        The total royalty due would be 5% of the $700.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorPC View Post
          Hey DoctorPC,
          direct quote from EULA:
          The first $3,000.00 in gross revenue for each Product per calendar quarter;
          It is 3000$ per quarter, so I don't think revenue is accumulated in this case
          SuperGrid: Marketplace Page | Feedback Thread | Demo | Website
          Level design and prototyping for newbies

Comment

Originally posted by zeOrb View Post
            Hey DoctorPC,
            direct quote from EULA:

It is 3000$ per quarter, so I don't think revenue is accumulated in this case
            per quarter, did you mean like this?

Q1 $3700x5%
            Q2 $2800x5%
            Q3 $1200x5%

oh, i think i should re-read eula... i'm confused now

edit: im forget about over $3000,
            that should be like this:
            Q1 $3700x5%
            Q2 $2800x0% (not over $3000)
            Q3 $1200x0% (not over $3000)
            Last edited by Nico_4; 03-03-2015, 01:32 AM.

Comment

I better post before Epic thinks I don't Luv them anymore.

Just want to say, as many times before -> ya'll really live up to your name cuz this is just totally -> EPIC !

& Tim Sweeney, you are like one of my favorite people in life, right now! lol

Please keep up the standards and the utmost in traditions of quality & content & community involvement, that you have started here, Epic!
              For to me, you are all truly Epic !

Comment

Nico_4

keep it simple, you pay for:

Anything in a quarter that is OVER $3,000 per game / product
                (from any source from anywhere in the world for that product)

ie: you pay for 1st quarter because it is over $3k
                you don't for the others because they are not over $3k

(no matter what is posted or said on these forums, this all still comes under the Unreal/Epic's ToS)
                (per ToS, you need to let them know that you have a product for sale, where, and information concerning product)

so you can always ask Epic when you have your product ready for publication. and just focus on making that great game instead of worrying.
                Last edited by ayretek; 03-03-2015, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nico_4 View Post
                  per quarter, did you mean like this?

Q1 $3700x5%
                  Q2 $2800x5%
                  Q3 $1200x5%

oh, i think i should re-read eula... i'm confused now
                  It's not that bad. The royalty is on earnings beyond $3000 per product per quarter. So:

Q1 $3700 - $3000 = $700 x 5% = $35
                  Q2 $2800 is under $3000 and = $0
                  Q3 $1200 is under $3000 and = $0

Comment

Originally posted by ayretek View Post
                    Nico_4

keep it simple, you pay for:

Anything in a quarter that is OVER $3,000 per game / product
                    (from any source from anywhere in the world for that product)

ie: you pay for 1st quarter because it is over $3k
                    you don't for the others because they are not over $3k

(no matter what is posted or said on these forums, this all still comes under the Unreal/Epic's ToS)
                    oh, sorry, im forget about $3000,
                    yeah, im understand now, thanks

Comment

Have to say I was surprised about this. I actually pulled over to the side of the road on my may to work to read the whole email.
                      on the other side I guess you could read into it that subscription intake was low and was becoming a negative, almost turning people away. they also seem to want to focus on selling us other stuff, e.g marketplace.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrdazza_460 View Post
                        Have to say I was surprised about this. I actually pulled over to the side of the road on my may to work to read the whole email.
                        on the other side I guess you could read into it that subscription intake was low and was becoming a negative, almost turning people away. they also seem to want to focus on selling us other stuff, e.g marketplace.
                        From what I can tell, The subscription intake was doing just fine! They just wanted to open the doors to everyone to help give everyone an equal chance (From all backgrounds) to create the video-games of their dreams!

By the way, You're automatically awesome for road safety! Even a deal being as amazing as this isn't worth putting your life on the line! :>
                        KITATUS
                        "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Comment

Saw this last night just before going to bed, didn't know what to say.. now I do..

This is UNREAL!..

.. sorry..
                          Ninja Arcade - UE4 - Forum Thread -- Ninja Arcade - UE4 - Demo v0.02a

Comment

Kitatus Studios @ LOL. it's also a $250 fine and 3 demerit points of our licence if the police find out (we get 12 demerit points before we loses our licence).

they seem to be pushing the unreal tournament onto us lot more I also get the feeling that unreal tournament assets or just there marketplace assets. will also be "made" available to us on the 2 marketplaces to use in UE4 games only. seems only logical to do that to me anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrdazza_460 View Post
                              I actually think the opposite is true ... they would never have refunded every subscriber their last months subs and given them $30 marketplace voucher if the up-take was low. I am with KitatusStudios on this one. 8-}

And kudos for Road Safety as well ... good job. 8-}
                              Quinton Delpeche
                              Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

Comment

Originally posted by dev100000
                                I agree with all the sceptical comments. A more experienced developer would rather see $19.99/month and support/bug fixes/further development.

Going free, now that they are at 4.7 and close to UE5, means:

1. fire the majority of the per project developers, i.e. slim down on salaray wages
                                2. ramp down support
                                3. ramp down development speed towards UE4.999999

It is a step towards abandon ware. Nothing to celebrate actually, unless the your are the 8yr old kid dreaming of making a game, as mentioned above.
                                dev100000, Please do not spread misinformation. We're nowhere near UE5 and support or development speed is continuing at exactly the same pace.
                                Last edited by KITATUS; 03-03-2015, 04:22 AM.
                                KITATUS
                                "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Comment

Working...
                                X