Unreal Engine: Now Available to Everyone for Free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Have to say I was surprised about this. I actually pulled over to the side of the road on my may to work to read the whole email.
    on the other side I guess you could read into it that subscription intake was low and was becoming a negative, almost turning people away. they also seem to want to focus on selling us other stuff, e.g marketplace.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ayretek View Post
    Nico_4

keep it simple, you pay for:

Anything in a quarter that is OVER $3,000 per game / product
    (from any source from anywhere in the world for that product)

ie: you pay for 1st quarter because it is over $3k
    you don't for the others because they are not over $3k

(no matter what is posted or said on these forums, this all still comes under the Unreal/Epic's ToS)
    oh, sorry, im forget about $3000,
    yeah, im understand now, thanks

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Nico_4 View Post
    per quarter, did you mean like this?

Q1 $3700x5%
    Q2 $2800x5%
    Q3 $1200x5%

oh, i think i should re-read eula... i'm confused now
    It's not that bad. The royalty is on earnings beyond $3000 per product per quarter. So:

Q1 $3700 - $3000 = $700 x 5% = $35
    Q2 $2800 is under $3000 and = $0
    Q3 $1200 is under $3000 and = $0

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Nico_4

keep it simple, you pay for:

Anything in a quarter that is OVER $3,000 per game / product
    (from any source from anywhere in the world for that product)

ie: you pay for 1st quarter because it is over $3k
    you don't for the others because they are not over $3k

(no matter what is posted or said on these forums, this all still comes under the Unreal/Epic's ToS)
    (per ToS, you need to let them know that you have a product for sale, where, and information concerning product)

so you can always ask Epic when you have your product ready for publication. and just focus on making that great game instead of worrying.
    Last edited by ayretek; 03-03-2015, 01:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I better post before Epic thinks I don't Luv them anymore.

Just want to say, as many times before -> ya'll really live up to your name cuz this is just totally -> EPIC !

& Tim Sweeney, you are like one of my favorite people in life, right now! lol

Please keep up the standards and the utmost in traditions of quality & content & community involvement, that you have started here, Epic!
    For to me, you are all truly Epic !

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by zeOrb View Post
    Hey DoctorPC,
    direct quote from EULA:

It is 3000$ per quarter, so I don't think revenue is accumulated in this case
    per quarter, did you mean like this?

Q1 $3700x5%
    Q2 $2800x5%
    Q3 $1200x5%

oh, i think i should re-read eula... i'm confused now

edit: im forget about over $3000,
    that should be like this:
    Q1 $3700x5%
    Q2 $2800x0% (not over $3000)
    Q3 $1200x0% (not over $3000)
    Last edited by Nico_4; 03-03-2015, 01:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DoctorPC View Post
    so if the game sold 3700$ on Q1, 2800$ on Q2, and 1200$ on Q3, would the total royalty be 5% of 7700$(all sales), 5% of 3700$(all sales from quaters which exceeded 3000$), 5% of 4700$(all sales - 3000$) or 5% of 700$ (all sales past 3000$/quater).
    Hey DoctorPC,
    direct quote from EULA:
    The first $3,000.00 in gross revenue for each Product per calendar quarter;
    It is 3000$ per quarter, so I don't think revenue is accumulated in this case

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DoctorPC View Post
    so if the game sold 3700$ on Q1, 2800$ on Q2, and 1200$ on Q3, would the total royalty be 5% of 7700$(all sales), 5% of 3700$(all sales from quaters which exceeded 3000$), 5% of 4700$(all sales - 3000$) or 5% of 700$ (all sales past 3000$/quater).
    The total royalty due would be 5% of the $700.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ShadowKindGames View Post
    Agreed, rather them charge double and hire more staff for support / fixes than go free.
    There's been a lot of change with this engine along with Unity recently. I would expect some transitional issues.

The fact that the process is very open with this engine, and the progress consistent, I have a lot of faith going forward.
    If they project to continue progress at the same pace, in addition to offering open access to licenses I think it's great.

Do you consider that maybe this deal will mean more people might contribute to improving the engine for free?

I don't think things are so clear cut, and I think it's an Epic move.
    Last edited by Triplelexx; 03-03-2015, 12:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
    Let me quote someone from the Unity forums, since there is quiet some discussion about UE4s price changing.

This is exactly the problem.

In my opinion Epic should have collected the 19$ a month at least some more months to have more money to hire developers to just getting UE4 to be something like "stable". Now they don't get the 19$ per month so they have even less money.

If Epic thinks "We have enough money, we don't need the 19$ per month, a low entry barrier is more important than the money we loose" than that is very nice, but not as long as the engine is not in a really usable, stable state.

But of course I also get that Epic needed to make the change now during GDC to compete against Unity's todays/tomorrows announcement that Unity 5 will be (almost) free and/or the cooperation with microsoft.
    With Tencent's backing, Epic has all the money it needs to continue developing full speed ahead. And I really don't think it matters what UT does at this point.

Per the bugs, that's been the major focus of this latest release. If you've been keeping track of the update thread, you'd see the UE4 team is still working diligently to address all bug reports, especially critical ones. I think the addition of components and some other major changes presented extra challenges for 4.7, but the team here is responsive and extremely talented, and I'd expect stability to improve a great deal over the next minor release or two.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
    Let me quote someone from the Unity forums, since there is quiet some discussion about UE4s price changing.

In my opinion Epic should have collected the 19$ a month at least some more months to have more money to hire developers to just getting UE4 to be something like "stable". Now they don't get the 19$ per month so they have even less money.

If Epic thinks "We have enough money, we don't need the 19$ per month, a low entry barrier is more important than the money we loose" than that is very nice, but not as long as the engine is not in a really usable, stable state.

But of course I also get that Epic needed to make the change now during GDC to compete against Unity's todays/tomorrows announcement that Unity 5 will be (almost) free and/or the cooperation with microsoft.
    Agreed, rather them charge double and hire more staff for support / fixes than go free.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Just gave Unreal another spin. I mean why not, since it's free and I already have an account.

But boy, the engine is now even more unstable than it was when I tried it a year ago. First launch, boom, sudden crash. Second try, third person template. Importing one of my meshes, getting lots of warnings. Try to scale the mesh up in the inspector, whole computer crashes.

Sorry, but what does the best graphics, an free engine and all the fancy tools help me, when the engine frequently crashes? And reading their forums, this is a issue for a lot users.

Last edited by John Alcatraz; 03-03-2015, 12:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    wow.im new here. i came from other game engine .now im happy that im a part of world best game engine now.unreal engine rocks.from today im gonna use unreal.yeppi!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Today is not April 1st is it?...nah its not.

At first I had trouble believing it.

I was about to renew my subscription this week. hehe

Leave a comment:

Working...
X