Unreal Engine: Now Available to Everyone for Free

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndrewM47
    It was enough to keep little kids out and that's exactly my point, why make it free. 'If you can't afford that, you've got other issues to deal with before making a game'
    I've always had an issue with keeping competition at bay with financial barriers. If an 8 year old can kick my *** at coding a game, well, I deserve to get my *** kicked. And if that 8 year old prodigy was never able to shine because his parents wouldn't give him the $19 a month to have access to the engine, I think that's incredibly sad.

Comment

I can't even start downloading...
      But seriously Epic Games. I am insane with the idea of making my own game for 2 years already...(Already got the basics of the storyline and the world)
      I had two problems: No Money and No Engine...
      Well, two rabbits with one shot.
      Love you Epic Games.

Comment

Oooooooh! LOVELY! We really need a "Make Something Unreal" again! SOON!

Click the tiny bird!
        It'll take you to my stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewM47
          It was enough to keep little kids out and that's exactly my point, why make it free. 'If you can't afford that, you've got other issues to deal with before making a game'
          Just because you have an issue with children (or others who for whatever reason can't or won't pay an otherwise reasonable fee) shouldn't deprive them of opportunities to learn new skills. EPIC is giving everyone a chance to have a go and that's a good thing. Will it bring a load of kids and douchebags into the community? No doubt but those are minor negative consequences compared to many positives of making game development accessible for everyone.

Comment

Nice try, but I think you could do better, Epic. How about tickets to Vegas?

$19 was ultra-cool in my book, I don't have words to describe the awesomeness of free!!!

And thanks for my $30 ticket also, there's a hole burning in my pocket!!

Richard.

PS Lmao Unity, couldn't resist!!! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by vincornelis View Post
              Just because you have an issue with children (or others who for whatever reason can't or won't pay an otherwise reasonable fee) shouldn't deprive them of opportunities to learn new skills. EPIC is giving everyone a chance to have a go and that's a good thing. Will it bring a load of kids and douchebags into the community? No doubt but those are minor negative consequences compared to many positives of making game development accessible for everyone.
              I second that motion

Comment

Just joined the bandwagon.

Hi.

Comment

This is really great...now we'll have thrice the amount of people complaining about marketplace items being over $50. lol
                  Current Project: Shadow Over Isolation

Comment

Originally posted by The Britain View Post
                    I really wish you all didn't do this, and I'm not just complaining to complain.

- The price point was an minimum entry barrier. It kept floods and floods of 10 year old kids from the forums. (Perhaps this will be a non-issue.)
                    - I really want to support Epic. I believe this engine is the best out there, and $19 was nothing to support one of the few companies I love.
                    - I want to believe development will keep up at the same rapid pace, but I feel bad putting in any request or giving any negative feedback when the engine cost nothing at all.

Thanks for the wonderful gift, but don't shoot yourselves in the foot.
                    So true!! Have the same feeling :/ R.I.P Unreal Engine

Comment

Originally posted by GraphicSynth View Post
                      Just joined the bandwagon.

Hi.
                      welcome to the forum

and welcome to any other new members

Comment

I guess I'll throw my two cents in here. I'm a father of five and always wanted to get into game development as a kid. Now that my young ones are getting older, some of them have the same aspirations. The difference here is that the option of a free, AAA game engine was never available to me. Could I afford $20 a month so my kids can play around and learn the engine? Sure, but for some of us $20 is still a lot of money when you have bills to pay.

This news is probably the best thing Epic could've done when it comes to training the next generation of game developers. Will we see **** games? Definitely, that's true of every engine that was ever created. But will they REALLY give Unreal Engine a bad name? Mostly likely not. The reason being that the average consumer doesn't look at a bad game and think about what engine it was made with. They just don't buy games from that developer anymore. The only people (for the most part) that would look at the engine are developers, and I have a really hard time picturing those developers looking down on the engine itself when they are all aware (or at least should be aware) that the guy making **** games is the one at fault.

On top of all that, wasn't the subscription only good for one seat at a time? So if two or three of my kids wanted to learn the engine and actually release their product, that price of admission just went up. I say kudos, Epic. If I ever had a tough time deciding between Unreal or Unity, this move just laid it all to rest!

Comment

Sounds like you got your own game studio there Archon! Teach one 3D and another music and sound, and another... LOL
                          Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of days I've stayed alive!

Comment

Funny enough, that's what we're trying to do. I'm learning 3d in maya as well as learning unreal engine, one son is a music major, another is into story and level design, another is a concept artist, and my daughter is great with fashion design so she can contribute to character concepts. My wife is the business minded person in the family, so that's even covered, lol.

Comment

Fathers learning about game development and teaching it to their kids. Now that sounds exactly like the kind of thing EPIC is hoping to achieve by making it free.

Comment

Unreal

Super!

ps. We need more emoticons on forum to express our feelings!

Comment

Working...
                                X