Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bug with shipping for windows 64 bit is NOT fixed... Still got this issue

Comment

Amazing stuff! I .... I think I love you all.

Comment

Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
        Also, I get some errors with "read only variables". In many blueprints I get the error "cannot pass a read-only variable to a reference parameter". The "variable" is a box collision component and it worked very well in 4.6.1 and 4.5.
        We changed component anchor variables to be read-only in 4.7. Can you post a picture of the sorts of nodes you're seeing the error on? We'll have a look.

Cheers,
        Michael Noland

Comment

Hi Michael,

I have a function which does some stuff with this box collision and destroys it afterwards, that's why I need to it be passed by reference. I think I don't need to show you a picture of a component connected to a function node
          Why have you done this? What advantage do I have from not being able to pass components by reference? I do this in many many of my blueprints, why do you just set it to read only in 4.7 without giving me any possibility to change the variable to be NOT read only?
          Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
          Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

I see that it didn't make it into this release, but I would really love to know when we will be able to paint blueprint actors with the foliage tool? There is a lot of functionality I want my trees to have that can only be controlled in a blueprint I made.
            --
            Joshua
            Multimedia Artist, Druid Gameworks
            www.joshuaezzell.com
            www.druidgameworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Unreal C++ Programming Improvements
              • We're continuously working to make C++ in Unreal Engine easier to use and more familiar to everyone.
              • No special constructors needed! Your class constructors no longer need to take an Object Initializer argument.
              • Creating sub-objects for Unreal classes now has a new simple syntax.
              • You can now have more than one Unreal class in a single C++ header file
              • You can declare special Unreal types (such as Unreal enums or delegates) in a header file, even without an Unreal class in that file.
              • You no longer are required to name your source file the same as your Unreal class name.
              • You can now use any name you want for properties! Previously, certain names like "Color" were reserved and impossible to use.
              Holy amazing c++ improvement! All of the things that bothered me with c++ in unreal is fixed, it actually works like real C++ now OMG You made me happy. <3
              Youtube
              Machine Learning C++ Plugin
              Lindenmayer System C++ Plugin

Comment

Hi Michael,

I have a function which does some stuff with this box collision and destroys it afterwards, that's why I need to it be passed by reference. I think I don't need to show you a picture of a component connected to a function node
                Why have you done this? What advantage do I have from not being able to pass components by reference? I do this in many many of my blueprints, why do you just set it to read only in 4.7 without giving me any possibility to change the variable to be NOT read only?
                You can pass component pointers by reference in general, but you can't modify the ones created by the simple construction script. Any user-added component variable (grabbed from elsewhere or created via Add Component) should be fine; the change only applies to the auto-generated variables for construction script components.

[edit] It's possible you're still getting the error incorrectly though. If it is preventing you from modifying values in the component (as opposed to the component pointer itself), then that's not intended.

Cheers,
                Michael Noland
                Last edited by Michael Noland; 02-24-2015, 06:38 PM. Reason: added a note about the error

Comment

What exactly is the "simple construction script" and what exactly are "user added components"? I manually added the box collision component with the "add component" button . Inside the construction script I call the function of the parent class which needs a box collision reference as input and destroys it at the end. This was perfectly possible in 4.6.1.

Comment

What exactly is the "simple construction script" and what exactly are "user added components"? I manually added the box collision component with the "add component" button . Inside the construction script I call the function of the parent class which needs a box collision reference as input and destroys it at the end. This was perfectly possible in 4.6.1.
                    Sorry, to clarify: A constructed component is one added to the components tree (e.g., via the "Add Component" button). The variable that is autogenerated is always meant to point to that component, and it was a bug that previous versions allowed you to point it elsewhere.

A user variable is one added via "Add Variable" or "Promote to Variable". Those can be modified to do whatever you want. When I referred to Add Component earlier, I meant an Add Component node in the graph, not a component added via "Add Component".

RE: Your setup, some potential options:
                    • You could change the parent to not destroy the component (seems odd to make a component and then immediately destroy it just to pass around a bounds); could just use a pair of FVectors for the extents or whatever.
                    • You can subvert the protection by creating another box component variable and copying the value from the auto-generated variable to that variable. Blueprint 'const' support isn't as fully developed as C++, so any assignment can cast away constness. This isn't great since you're still throwing away a component you asked to be created, but it would be a quick workaround.

Cheers,
                    Michael Noland

Comment

Now how do I get the engine contributor banner? :O

Comment

I did download 4.7 right now, but It missing now in the launcher...
                        note: I have this folder with 11 gigas C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\Launcher\VaultCache\UE_4.7
                        Last edited by DomusLudus; 02-24-2015, 06:58 PM.

Comment

@Michael Thanks for the clarification, but I think you have not really understood what I try to do

Why have previous versions allowed me to point it elsewhere? I just pass the variable to another function, I do not overwrite it. It stays what it is, until I call "Destroy Component". I never use any "set" node.
                          And I could call "Destroy Component" directly from the construction script. But I don't want to have the "Destroy Component" node in the construction script because that would look ugly (one unnecessary node).
                          I think it's ok to prevent the variable to be overwritten by another variable, but I never intended to do this. I just want to pass it to a function by reference so I can destroy it there. And that's not possible in 4.7.

The important thing for me is that I can call the function and destroy the component with one single node. The easiest workaround for me would just to call the function and then use the "destroy component" node not in the function but directly from the construction script. But that's ugly.

Comment

Incredible update, thank to you awesome guys and gals

Comment

Is it just me or is this a bug? I have create a blueprint class, and blueprint actor component that rotates the owner. It works without any problem but while that actor is in my scene i'm not able to save the scene. Message says Graph linked to a private objects in an external package for my component class with this error :

Warning Can't save G:/Unreal Projects/ProjectFolderHere/Content/MySceneFileHere.umap: Graph is linked to external private object (unknown culprit) (unknown property ref)

It's just a spinner blueprintable component like in your release note example to try this feature.

Comment

wow you guys managed to fix my distance filed instances AO problem and I posted it on the 22nd EPIC!
                                TA on :
                                Assassins Creed Origins
                                Assassins Creed Origins: Curse of the Pharaohs
                                The Division 2

Comment

Working...
                                X