Unreal Engine 4.7 Released!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael Noland View Post
    You should never start or continue production work on a preview build. Feel free to try out the tools and report issues, but they are previews for a reason and I would hate for you to lose work if there turns out to be a serialization issue or something like that.

Cheers,
    Michael Noland

We'd keep our development delayed until final version then.
    Thank you.
    Artstation
    Join the support channel
    Gumroad Store

Comment

If I where in your shoes, I would go ahead and start development on 4.7.5. That way when 4.8 comes out you will already have a start on your project. Things like static meshes and materials aren't going to change much between versions so you wouldn't lose much time. On the plus side, you will get some experience converting your project over to a new engine release (i.e. and that's always good experience to have!)

Comment

Will the 4.8 preview include the latest Oculus 0.5.0 SDK ?

Comment

Originally posted by Demolition Man View Post
          If I where in your shoes, I would go ahead and start development on 4.7.5. That way when 4.8 comes out you will already have a start on your project. Things like static meshes and materials aren't going to change much between versions so you wouldn't lose much time. On the plus side, you will get some experience converting your project over to a new engine release (i.e. and that's always good experience to have!)
          Thank you for the suggestion but the very first step on the project is to setup the terrain which is a large one and requires 4.8 to be there, the rest of the things also need the terrain to be setup already. I have converted projects from 4.6 to 4.7 though and not much problem there but converting from 4.7 to 4.8 isn't going to work regarding large terrain and ecosystem painting tool since they are not implemented in 4.7.
          Artstation
          Join the support channel
          Gumroad Store

Comment

Why do you need to start making your game with creating a landscape with trees etc? All the visual stuff is mostly not really important at the beginning, so you surely could just create all the gameplay logic and then after some months you would make a landscape and so on.
            Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
            Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

I have converted projects from 4.6 to 4.7 though and not much problem there but converting from 4.7 to 4.8 isn't going to work regarding large terrain and ecosystem painting tool since they are not implemented in 4.7.
              I already got a broken project , and this will make me worry when there is some new update to get another broken project when updating it.

Comment

Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
                Why do you need to start making your game with creating a landscape with trees etc? All the visual stuff is mostly not really important at the beginning, so you surely could just create all the gameplay logic and then after some months you would make a landscape and so on.
                We had our time creating what we need. It's just a matter of starting a level and throwing it all together and that requires a terrain and environment to be there.

@Galeon, When I was porting my landscape pack from 4.6 to 4.7 my foliage was looking terrible. With the new foliage shading added even though I adapted the materials but the shading was just wrong and the only thing I had to do was to create a new project/level using 4.7 and setup everything again. And yes this is really a stab in the back when you are on a tight schedule. But well I'm so happy I don't have to migrate from Cryengine 3.6 to 3.7. That's a really fun story happening to their users right now
                Artstation
                Join the support channel
                Gumroad Store

Comment

I had to do was to create a new project/level using 4.7 and setup everything again. And yes this is really a stab in the back when you are on a tight schedule. But well I'm so happy I don't have to migrate from Cryengine 3.6 to 3.7. That's a really fun story happening to their users right now
                  When i loose months of work on a finished level map because i can't recover it , it is a serious problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Galeon View Post
                    I already got a broken project , and this will make me worry when there is some new update to get another broken project when updating it.
                    In general, we don't recommend moving projects you are actively developing between versions unless there is a fix or a feature that you need in the newer versions. There is always a risk of incompatible changes or something breaking when moving between versions of live software and it is typically best to keep projects on one version unless it is absolutely necessary to move to another. Continually switching versions could increase the risk of something going wrong.
                    Last edited by Adam Davis; 04-29-2015, 10:43 AM.
                    Adam Davis | Marketplace Support | Epic Games
                    How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues? | Answerhub Bug Reports | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Galeon View Post
                      When i loose months of work on a finished level map because i can't recover it , it is a serious problem.
                      We expect users to use version control for their projects, even when working alone. Perforce, Git, SVN are all extremely useful and we highly recommend using any of them to avoid losing work.

Comment

Originally posted by NickDarnell View Post
                        We expect users to use version control for their projects, even when working alone. Perforce, Git, SVN are all extremely useful and we highly recommend using any of them to avoid losing work.
                        Do you provide training or any monetary costs associated with such things? Because if you don't, you can't 'expect' anyone to use them.
                        Acclivity Game Studios. Making a BP FPS, Tutorial Series on Blog : On Unreal Wiki : Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by arbopa View Post
                          Do you provide training or any monetary costs associated with such things? Because if you don't, you can't 'expect' anyone to use them.
                          We do not provide training for using those services, but the service providers have many training tutorials on how to use them. For example. Some of these services are offered for free as well.
                          Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
                          How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
                          Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

Comment

Yes, they do.
                            Source Control Basics
                            Source Control Overview
                            Perforce Tutorial
                            SVN Tutorial
                            Git Tutorial
                            I'm sorry, but are we seriously talking about monetary costs for free software or what?
                            SuperGrid: Marketplace Page | Feedback Thread | Demo | Website
                            Level design and prototyping for newbies

Comment

Originally posted by zeOrb View Post
                              Yes, they do.
                              Source Control Basics
                              Source Control Overview
                              Perforce Tutorial
                              SVN Tutorial
                              Git Tutorial
                              I'm sorry, but are we seriously talking about monetary costs for free software or what?
                              Glad to see they offer guidance. Who knows what is free or not? I do not see a package name and instantly know if it is free or monthly fee or buy outright. But my point was the 'expect' part of the comment. Seems it was an attempt to remove any responsibility from Epic for the times when UE4 doesn't work as users 'expect' it to.
                              Acclivity Game Studios. Making a BP FPS, Tutorial Series on Blog : On Unreal Wiki : Twitch

Comment

Glad to see they offer guidance. Who knows what is free or not? I do not see a package name and instantly know if it is free or monthly fee or buy outright. But my point was the 'expect' part of the comment. Seems it was an attempt to remove any responsibility from Epic for the times when UE4 doesn't work as users 'expect' it to.
                                If there is a bug in the software that causes corruption to an asset, we certainly want to know so we can get the bug reported and fixed, hence why we encourage developers to post to the answerhub. However, source control is understood to be the best method of backing up software so that, should something such as data corruption or irreversible changes occur to a particular copy of an asset, one can revert to a previous, undamaged version without losing a lot of work. There are backups of assets kept within the project \saved\backup\ folder, but it is typically expected that source control is the go to option for most developers. We can locate and work on errors that occur in the editor, we cannot ensure that developers have software set up to maintain backup versions of their projects and assets.
                                Adam Davis | Marketplace Support | Epic Games
                                How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues? | Answerhub Bug Reports | Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X