Unreal Engine 4.7 Released!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am new to Unreal, installed 4.7.1
    Downloaded 4.7.2 last night and woke up to it stuck at 90% installing. Half an hour later it was still at 90%. I thought something was wrong, rebooted and started installing again. It's taking ages. Is this normal?

Comment

The 4.7.2 update takes some minutes more to verify than versions normally need.
      Last edited by Wolfsblut; 03-05-2015, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
        Any news on fixing of UE-10800? Will this be fixed until 4.7.3?
        This is on the "To Do" list for 4.8. A engineer has been assigned, but no fix submitted yet.
        Tim Hobson | Learning Resources | Epic Games
        UE4 Documentation

Comment

Originally posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
          Oh well... UE-9829 is back; That was fixed and you guys brought it back
          Back to my peasant 4.6.1 world... Can't use 4.7 while this bug is still around.
          Looking at the Jira this is listed as a critical bug to get fixed for 4.8's "To Do" list. A fix has yet to be submitted.
          UE4 Documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Jared Therriault View Post
            Bug found! 3D widget components do not remember their class when restarting the editor.
            Hi Jared, can you post this to the Bug Reports section of AnswerHub if you have not done so already? It's much easier to track and resolve issues via that method.

Thank you!
            UE4 Documentation

Comment

Tim, why do "critical Bugs" not get fixed in a hotfix, even if its 4.7.5 or whatever? Like BrUnO XaVIeR said he can't use 4.7 while UE-9829 is around and I also can't use 4.7 while UE-10800 is around, well I could but I would have to change dozens of blueprints just for changing it back in 4.8 again.

How will we ever get a stable version to work on if really critical needed fixes are only introduced with a new major update which also includes many new features with many new bugs?
              Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
              Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

Some do get pushed through, but others may cause more issues due to other changes that happened to get the fix in. Usually the developer will list if it's a safe change or not and whether it should get pushed through for a hot fix. There have been several that I've seen go through because they were safe to push through.

The problem with this question right now is that there is not fix that has been submitted to implement into any hot fix. A fix version needs to be listed when it's on a "To Do" list. The fix version for this is listed as 4.8. However, if the fix (once submitted) is safe to implement into a hot fix that may be going out then there is that possibility. There is little that can be done when a fix has not yet been submitted.

I also want to reiterate what others developers have said as well. Hot fixes are meant for critical bugs only. No new features or workarounds. These are meant to prevent crashes more than anything else for bugs that are listed as Critical.
                Last edited by Tim Hobson; 03-05-2015, 02:07 PM.
                UE4 Documentation

Comment

Hi Tim, same Alessandro Monopoli from private UDN here
                  Can we expect the fix for the crash loading a project from 4.6.1 that has a Instance mesh component into a blueprint? That's kind of critical, so something in a hotfix would be greatly appreciated

Cheers!
                  Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Hobson View Post
                    I also want to reiterate what others developers have said as well. Hot fixes are meant for critical bugs only. No new features or workarounds. These are meant to prevent crashes more than anything else for bugs that are listed as Critical.
                    So if a bug occurs in one version like 4.7 is it not supposed to get fixed in a hotfix but only in 4.8 except it is causing a crash? If every bug which was introduced in some major update will only get fixed in the next major update there will never be a version where everything works...

So for example UE-9829 broke something which worked in 4.6.1. You say it will probably only get fixed in 4.8. So if someone really needs this to work he can't use 4.7 at all. But 4.8 will have new features and totally new bugs, which may cause the same person to also not be able to use 4.8, because the fixes for the bugs intruduced with 4.8 will only come in 4.9 and so on...

So it's really gambling whether a major version is usable at all for someone.
                    Last edited by John Alcatraz; 03-05-2015, 02:41 PM.
                    Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
                    Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

Originally posted by Monops View Post
                      Hi Tim, same Alessandro Monopoli from private UDN here
                      Can we expect the fix for the crash loading a project from 4.6.1 that has a Instance mesh component into a blueprint? That's kind of critical, so something in a hotfix would be greatly appreciated

Cheers!
                      Alex
                      Hi Alex,

I'm not familiar with all the bugs and crashes that have been submitted necessarily. Was there a ticket number for this one. I can check and see the status if so.

As a note for anyone else wanting an update, I will not be checking status for every ticket number that is submitted in here. I just wanted to do a brief check for some of the ones that are crashing and update.

I know it's frustrating but thank you for your patience while these are looked into.
                      UE4 Documentation

Comment

Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
                        So if a bug occurs in one version like 4.7 is it not supposed to get fixed in a hotfix but only in 4.8 except it is causing a crash? If every bug which was introduced in some major update will only get fixed in the next major update there will never be a version where everything works...

So for example UE-9829 broke something which worked in 4.6.1. You say it will probably only get fixed in 4.8. So if someone really needs this to work he can't use 4.7 at all. But 4.8 will have new features and totally new bugs, which may cause the same person to also not be able to use 4.8, because the fixes for the bugs intruduced with 4.8 will only come in 4.9 and so on...

So it's really gambling whether a major version is usable at all for someone.
                        The focus is stability for sure. This is the point of the preview releases to help get a more stable version and this is why this is the method being used here on forward. It can be frustrating when bugs happen and I'm sorry for that.

If you have any concerns regarding the stability or release method you can always post a thread in the feedback section.
                        UE4 Documentation

Comment

I think it is nice idea to make version 4.10 special. Imagine that 4.9 and 4.8 will bring new features and there will be no new features in 4.10, whole Epic Games team would be working all time on bugfixes to make 4.10 version super stable. I really like that idea. What do you think ?

Comment

The focus is stability for sure. This is the point of the preview releases to help get a more stable version and this is why this is the method being used here on forward. It can be frustrating when bugs happen and I'm sorry for that.

If you have any concerns regarding the stability or release method you can always post a thread in the feedback section.
                            Chuck performance onto that bandwagon and it'll be the best engine there ever was.

Comment

Originally posted by pixelvspixel View Post
                              Hahaha, I've wondered how many other people this bugged.
                              I think around half or even more. I do dual coding with friend (we swap who is coding every 30min and constantly brainstorm), and i quietly observe him. Every time he is stuck he starts "compressing" blueprint code and moving things to be aligned.

Btw. blueprints redefine term "spaghetti code", well it takes it to new level of awesome.
                              I also managed to create cthulu god from blueprint nodes.

Comment

Hi Alex,

I'm not familiar with all the bugs and crashes that have been submitted necessarily. Was there a ticket number for this one. I can check and see the status if so.

As a note for anyone else wanting an update, I will not be checking status for every ticket number that is submitted in here. I just wanted to do a brief check for some of the ones that are crashing and update.

I know it's frustrating but thank you for your patience while these are looked into.
                                Thanks for the anwer I don't know the number, but it's this one:
                                https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post232709

This seems quite grave, that's why I asked you to check.

Cheers!
                                Alex

Comment

Working...
                                X