• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know how it works: New features = new bugs

Comment

yeap downloading now

Comment

I was able to move forward in 4.7.1 - my packaging issue turned out me referencing my UMG widgets from deep within my actor - by brokering my calls through functions instead of getting an instance to my controller and going into my widgets and calling methods from my actors - this issue also did cause my editor to crash when loading at 93%

if your editor crashes on project load it should tell you in the logs what crashed it - its probably a suspect uasset, if you remove it, or things calling it - your project will eventually load, you can re-add your widget and relink the nodes (its a pain but the only way I could move forward)
        ZOMBIE TOWN AHHH (ANDROID/STEAM) | RIDE SHARE EMPIRE (ANDROID/GAME JAM) | NEVER NOT KNIGHT (ANDROID/GAME JAM) | TWITTER | MY UE4 TUTORIALS | ANSWERHUB

Comment

Originally posted by BPANDREW View Post
          I was able to move forward in 4.7.1 - my packaging issue turned out me referencing my UMG widgets from deep within my actor - by brokering my calls through functions instead of getting an instance to my controller and going into my widgets and calling methods from my actors - this issue also did cause my editor to crash when loading at 93%

if your editor crashes on project load it should tell you in the logs what crashed it - its probably a suspect uasset, if you remove it, or things calling it - your project will eventually load, you can re-add your widget and relink the nodes (its a pain but the only way I could move forward)
          This worked for me. Interestingly, this didn't work in 4.7.0, but I tried again in 4.7.1 and by removing the broken asset, loading the project, replacing the asset, then fixing up references, everything loads fine

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by Kenomica View Post
            I'm using baked lighting, so I will definitely give it a go. Thanks for the tip.

That did it! THANK YOU!

EDIT : Though it is VERY unstable. After building lighting, there is till a 50/50 chance of a hard crash whenever I open a map or compile a blueprint.

Also, rotated landscapes still have terrible splotches everywhere, despite the patch note stating it was fixed. Back to 4.6 for me.
            I'm afraid you're right If I restore static lighting to the project it immediately re-exhibits the crash-while-opening syndrome again. So this means my workaround just allows us to salvage a 4.6 project by opening it without lightmass.

I'm now trying to tweak as many static lighting related settings/map actors as I can to deduce the root cause, will post any news of success. Might just have to submit a project to Epic on the answer hub as there's no useful info in the crash logs either apart from the notorious Access violation writing location <>

UPDATE:
            Believe I've narrowed it down: Loading crashes for my map if any blueprints in it contain an Instanced Static Mesh component to which instances are added right from the BP's Construction Script (eg: think static procedural foliage decorations around your actor that you might have created in the construction script for ease of creation or for applying specific visual patterns/etc).

For whatever reason, if you use static lighting and have any such actors in your map then the editor crashes while trying to load that map if its lighting has already been built. The workaround I'm currently testing is to generate all such foliage through a proxy object or a blutility so you don't have to rely on construction scripts for populating any "static" instanced meshes.

FWIW, this used to work in 4.6.1, 4.5, etc without issues.
            Last edited by VSZ; 03-01-2015, 05:24 PM.

Steam Early Access: Drunk On Nectar - The Nature Simulator

UE4 Plugins: DoN’s Dynamic Mesh FX | DoN’s 3D Pathfinding

Comment

Originally posted by VSZ View Post
              I'm afraid you're right If I restore static lighting to the project it immediately re-exhibits the crash-while-opening syndrome again. So this means my workaround just allows us to salvage a 4.6 project by opening it without lightmass.

I'm now trying to tweak as many static lighting related settings/map actors as I can to deduce the root cause, will post any news of success. Might just have to submit a project to Epic on the answer hub as there's no useful info in the crash logs either apart from the notorious Access violation writing location <>

UPDATE:
              Believe I've narrowed it down: Loading crashes for my map if any blueprints in it contain an Instanced Static Mesh component to which instances are added right from the BP's Construction Script (eg: think static procedural foliage decorations around your actor that you might have created in the construction script for ease of creation or for applying specific visual patterns/etc).

For whatever reason, if you use static lighting and have any such actors in your map then the editor crashes while trying to load that map if its lighting has already been built. The workaround I'm currently testing is to generate all such foliage through a proxy object or a blutility so you don't have to rely on construction scripts for populating any "static" instanced meshes.

FWIW, this used to work in 4.6.1, 4.5, etc without issues.
              My entire game is based around the populating of instanced static meshes from construction...so yes, I do haha. I'll certainly give it a try, thank you.

Comment

I also have some spawning of instances from the construction script in my project...
                Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
                Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

In 4.7 AAIController::MoveToActor() doesn't really automatically updating its target position like it use to.

I've tested using AAIController::GetImmediateMoveDestination() and it seems to be updating once it reach the first target in its path.
                  Wierd yet, after that my AI running back and forth between its original position and next points along its path.
                  Last edited by KillerPenguin; 03-02-2015, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Hey guys,

just two things that caught my eye with the new 4.7.1 version.

- When I start with the 3rd person template, the (blueman) character has awful aliasing. A lot worse than in 4.6.1 as far as I can tell
                    - The car in the vehicle template has problems with smoothing groups (?)

Anybody else seeing this?
                    Best regards,
                    Oli

Comment

Originally posted by ForGobbler View Post
                      - When I start with the 3rd person template, the (blueman) character has awful aliasing. A lot worse than in 4.6.1 as far as I can tell
                      Could it be your Engine Scalability Settings set to lowest?

Comment

Ah, stupid me didn´t know there were these settings :-/ . I just started a new project with the template (quality high). When I´m back from work I´ll have a look at those settings, thanks a lot for pointing them out!

Comment

Hello there! I'm trying to get the hand of HTML5, each time I build the project (the FPS template with no starter pack) I get a 75 mb total size of it using the mobile settings, I see a UE4Game-HTML5-Shipping.js file about 47 mb and a nameoftheproject.data of 21 mb, which of these files will the user download? The data one? the JS file is a server only info of the Unreal Engine? Will that be downloaded too?

Click the tiny bird!
                          It'll take you to my stuff!

Comment

Very basic question, how do we grab the 4.7.1 hotfix from github?

I found there the 'release/promoted/master/4.7' branches but no 4.7.1 so im confused if the hotfix is in one of them or something separate

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by redphoenix2k View Post
                              Very basic question, how do we grab the 4.7.1 hotfix from github?

I found there the 'release/promoted/master/4.7' branches but no 4.7.1 so im confused if the hotfix is in one of them or something separate

Thanks
                              The latest Release is 4.7.1

Comment

UPDATE!

The 4.7.2 Hotfix is now live! It contains a number of fixes for our latest release, all listed below.

If you experience a bug with the 4.7.2 Hotfix, please remember to log a bug report for the issue on the UE4 AnswerHub to the Bug Reports section.

Fixed in 4.7.2

UE-11207 ios launch fail after upgrading to 4.7.1, provision not found, signing key not found
                                UE-11202 Horizontal navigation in Notify timelines is super-frustrating
                                UE-11130 Cannot build code projects for ios
                                UE-11102 Mac editor sometimes crashes in FMacWindow::IsMaximized when creating a new window
                                UE-11046 Crash in FLandscapeComponentSceneProxy::GetStaticBatchElementVisibility with tiny component size
                                UE-11023 Opening the engine crashes: Assert failed: GConfig->GetInt
                                UE-11018 Synced BlackBoard keys don't work
                                UE-8589 MatineeFightScene has no sound on mac
                                UE-8550 Audio cuts out during scene transitions in the Particle Effects cinematic
                                Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
                                How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
                                Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

Comment

Working...
                                X