Unreal Engine 4.7 Released!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ragnarok View Post
    I tried filing this under the bug reports answerhub, and it wouldn't allow me.
    Hey Ragnarok,

I don't want to clutter up the conversation in this thread, but can you send me a Private Message here on the forums (click on my username) and give me the details of how the AnswerHub did not let you post?

Thanks
    Stephen Ellis | Enterprise Program Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Kenomica View Post
      yeah, I still cannot convert my project - 95% then boom, hard crash.
      The problem really is Epic's "Features over Stability" attitude.
      Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
      Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Ellis View Post
        UPDATE!

The 4.7.1 Hotfix is now live! It contains a number of fixes for our latest release, all listed below.

If you experience a bug with the 4.7.1 Hotfix, please remember to log a bug report for the issue on the UE4 AnswerHub to the Bug Reports section.

Fixed in 4.7.1

<SNIP>
        UE-10283 TargetArray nodes are reported as invalid if played in Standalone mode but not in PIE
        <SNIP>
        Epic, thank you so much for fixing UE-10283! I can confirm the usecase works now.

I'm really happy with the ultra-quick turnaround on this bug, when it was not ready for 4.7 I'd never dreamt a hotfix with resolution would arrive so quickly, so my thanks to Epic and the dev(s) who fixed this!

And now I can finally start using the grand features of 4.7!

Steam Early Access: Drunk On Nectar - The Nature Simulator

UE4 Plugins: DoN’s Dynamic Mesh FX | DoN’s 3D Pathfinding

Comment

Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
          The problem really is Epic's "Features over Stability" attitude.
          While I'm in the same boat with 4.7.0 and now 4.7.1 not letting me load my project (answerhubbed since Preview 8), I don't really think Epic has such a mentality.

At first I was a bit distressed that I couldn't get on 4.7.0 while lots of people seem to be having fun with the new features (better cyclical dependency handling, better UMG!), but those features have been in the works for a long time: it's only in the last few days that I've been able to tell Epic about my problems with their release, and so they've only had a few days to work on a solution. The real test of your statement, at least for me, is what happens in the time after release - how good are Epic at post-release support? And heck, with 4.7.1 out already with bug fixes, I'm pretty confident they're not OK with software that doesn't work as intended! So I have some faith that fixes will be along, not in 4.7.1 for me, but at some point soon

Don't lose hope!

Comment

It's not in the patch notes, but has ACharacter::OnJumped_Implementation() been made virtual? If not, please don't tell me we'll have to wait for 4.8 instead of patching this in 4.7.2. We can't compile our game, and we don't want the entire department to modify the engine source. (See https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post228665)

Comment

Originally posted by Shammah View Post
              It's not in the patch notes, but has ACharacter::OnJumped_Implementation() been made virtual? If not, please don't tell me we'll have to wait for 4.8 instead of patching this in 4.7.2. We can't compile our game, and we don't want the entire department to modify the engine source. (See https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post228665)
              Unfortunately that is not going to be able to be fixed until 4.8 as we are unable to make changes that affect DLL layout (such as adding a function to the virtual function table) in a hotfix.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Audy View Post
                Unfortunately that is not going to be able to be fixed until 4.8 as we are unable to make changes that affect DLL layout (such as adding a function to the virtual function table) in a hotfix.
                Mark, any chance of this being hotfixed or will the same limitation apply? I haven't had any response to the bug report yet, but I think it's something that would be worth looking at asap.

Comment

Regarding the project conversion crashes (as affecting MkII, Kenomica, John Alcatraz, McSean, Praseodyl, JDLOKI, and Rashura), these issues are currently under investigation. We are concerned about these issues and hope to identify the cause and solution for them, but it must be noted that this does not appear to be a single, widespread issue, as this is only known to be affecting a few individuals like listed above. Many variables may play a factor in the cause, including custom plugins and code.

We thank you for your patience, and encourage you to continue development in the version that is stable for your project (most likely 4.6.1) until a resolution is found.

Cheers
                  Last edited by Stephen Ellis; 02-28-2015, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Is anybody still getting an instant crash when loading up on Android? The Open Level command seems to have big'ol issues.

(Sorry Engine Team, it must suck doing a release and getting nothing but bug reports )
                    Last edited by TheJamsh; 02-27-2015, 08:00 PM.

Comment

DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT (DLC) PACKAGING *BETA*

Downloadable content (DLC) can now be packaged up for distribution!

Currently this feature is in beta testing and requires a command-line tool. Create your add-on DLC inside a game plugin Content folder, and use the new packaging tool to “cook” and optimize your content for your platform of choice.

This feature makes use of the game’s asset registry to know what content is already supplied in the shipped game, and will cook anything needed from the game’s content into the DLC.

To use this feature, run the cook utility for your main game with “-CreateReleaseVersion=x.y”, then again for each DLC plugin with “-BasedOnReleaseVersion=x.y -DLCName=MyPluginName”.
                      This interests me VERY much. Am guessing it is not an automated 'program notices you do not have, thus downloads from server' thing, but rather a download and install yourself thing?

I would like to have the ability to have a server/client notice at least that the client does not have the current map and automatically start a download of it (of course through a redirect if set) ... so people can make 3rd party maps for any game I may end up making.
                      Acclivity Game Studios. Making a BP FPS, Tutorial Series on Blog : On Unreal Wiki : Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by TheJamsh View Post
                        (Sorry Engine Team, it must suck doing a release and getting nothing but bug reports )
                        It would be amazing if people dedicated a day to speaking about all the things that work well!

I did a quick check and didn't notice any issues reported for Android "Open Level" crashes. Please let us know the details in the AnswerHub (click link in my signature).
                        Last edited by Stephen Ellis; 02-27-2015, 10:01 PM.

Comment

It would be amazing if people dedicated a day to speaking about all the things that work well!

I did a quick check and didn't notice any issues reported for Android "Open Level" crashes. Please let us know the details in the AnswerHub (click link in my signature).
                          You guys are doing a great job and between the major updates in 4.6/4.7, this had the potential to happen due to such drastic changes in the engine. I am myself experiencing a lot of issues in 4.7.0/4.7.1 from rough instancing performance (static meshes), crashes and a ton of random 'Accessed None' errors, inherited Blueprint classes having all their defaults set to 0 and so forth does get frustrating. But I try to stay positive, work around it and keep the support staff informed when issues arise to keep nailing out the bugs. I'm sure these will get fixed over time and the timing with GDC around the corner doesn't make it any easier.

But let's get some positive vibes on this thread and I'll share some of the things I'm excited and have enjoyed in this release...

- VR Preview: This has been something I've wanted to see for a long time and makes testing much more convenient than running Standalone, and typing the exec commands to get it enabled
                          - Blueprint Components: This is awesome! Last night I was extremely confused why the 'Viewport' Tab wasn't there and I'm sure it's going to get easier if you want to make containers for custom actors but after calling Spawn, and replicating the variables from my base class. It worked great. I did have to call destroy and for some reason, doing that only makes it visible when I actually click play which I'm guessing is a bug. But as a start, its going to be great especially the scriptable ones that more or less just add functionality just by adding them.
                          - Transparency Sorting: It's a huge plus for me with some of my materials and worked well for a scenario last night that I needed it
                          - Color: Yup, adding the color green and blue boxes that Highlight things like 'Add Component' is great to see and I hope we see more color pop up and making it customizable while still keeping the primary dark theme feel. It would be great in the future to save maybe themes and be able to share them if this happens but I haven't dug deep into the settings so it's possible it's there already.
                          - For every time you add a new component to a BP, if it's the first instance, it doesn't have '1' appended to it at the end. I can't tell you how many times I had to click to rename a new component just to delete that '1'. Small things definitely make the difference.
                          - Even though there is a little funkiness with the variables on the left and properties on the right, I'm really digging the more streamlined BP editor and am excited to see it only get better over time. As a suggestion, in the future, you should add a Tab that allows you to see every node possible in some form of layout. I've had issues in the past where I can't find nodes in the grid without a find and sometimes have lost unconnected code never to be seen again. That and a BP Callstack would rock!

Those are just some of the things I've been happy to see over the past couple of days and I know you guys will nail out all the issues. You guys have pulled a lot of long nights dealing with some pretty crappy weather, not to mention GDC. Keep it up and glad you and the team are working hard to make 4.7 a great release!
                          Last edited by MC Stryker; 02-28-2015, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Awesome release, love Blueprint components. I really want to be able to select several instanced meshes and combine them into a Blueprint though. This would be so handy.

Comment

Regarding the project conversion crashes (as affecting MkII, Kenomica, John Alcatraz, McSean, Praseodyl, JDLOKI, and Rashura), these issues are currently under investigation. We are concerned about these issues and hope to identify the cause and solution for them, but it must be noted that this does not appear to be a single, widespread issue, as this is only known to be affecting a few individuals like listed above. Many variables may play a factor in the cause, including custom plugins and code.

We thank you for your patience, and encourage you to continue development in the version that is stable for your project (most likely 4.6.1) until a resolution is found.

Cheers
                              Just because only 7 people told you they have a problem it does not mean it does only affect 7 people

And my project is blueprint only with no custom code and the only plugin is Rama's VictoryPlugin which has never caused any issues.

If you would have something like a stress testing project which you try to convert to the newest engine version to see whether everything works fine before you release the new version then you probably would have find the issue before you released 4.7. I guess you have something like this, but maybe it's just not complex enough to cause these issues

And yeah, I am patient and hope you will find and fix the issue in the next week.
                              Last edited by John Alcatraz; 02-28-2015, 12:13 AM.
                              Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
                              Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

Thank you Epic!Great work.
                                I have a question on AnswerHub.Please have a look:
                                How to keep a reference of other DataTable in a DataTable?

Comment

Working...
                                X