Unreal Engine 4.7 Released!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPU Visualizer (profilegpu) has a bug.
    Texts are drawn but window background is not.

https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...has-a-bug.html
    Last edited by kwonoh; 02-26-2015, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by artoculon View Post
      Tim Hobson: I'm hoping to get an acknowledgment for the Build Lighting issues i'm facing. 4.6.1 I had no issues, a simple scene would take less than a minute to build. In 4.7, I am getting a Lightmass Crash issue everytime, or it just gets stuck.

Granted I have 4gb of ram, but in 4.6.1 it never was an issue. I am just testing this right now with a simple scene: floor, ceiling, walls, 1 point light.

Semmel: Sorry to hear you're facing this same issue. Does yours eventually build though?
      Hey Artoculon,

No worries, I've been assigned your issue on AnswerHub. Thank you for your patience and I'll respond once I get a chance to take a look.
      Tim Hobson | Learning Resources | Epic Games
      UE4 Documentation

Comment

I was unclear about the html5 improvements in 4.7. Do we still need to download the full source to run an html5 project? I've downloaded the Emscripten SDK and restarted the editor but I don't see my browsers under the launch menu.
        CTO Villusion Studios
        Grad Student in Interactive Design and Game Development, SCAD
        company site: http://www.villusionstudios.com/

Comment

I might be missing something...is there no way to override an actor component's constructor with blueprints? (What does the Auto Activate flag do, anyway? I had hoped that it setting it to true would cause the Initialize Component event to act like a constructor -- but it doesn't seem to be the case.)

For lack of finding an overriddable constructor, I tried using the Get Components node on my actor's constructor, then calling a function on the component -- which sort of works. A few problems there, though.

First, if a component is part of the actor, rather than just attached to the actor out in the level, there's no way to modify the component's variables from the level editor. It's terribly inconvenient. It would be really nice to be able to change those variables on a per instance basis from the level editor. I'm not sure why it works the way it does.

Second, if the component is attached to the actor in the level, it's exposed variables are modifiable, but the editor doesn't dirty the actor and thus fire it's constructor when these variables are messed with. I made an exposed boolean on my actor that I can toggle on and off in order to force the constructor to execute (more easily), but again, it's inconvenient. It's a couple extra clicks for something that updates wonderfully and automagically when the code is in the actor's constructor. It's swank to move a slider and see things happen immediately in the viewport.

Third, it's pretty fragile. For example, I 'accidentally' deleted an event on a component that was called by the actor's constructor, and the editor crashed hard. I've had some other minor bugs that I believe are caused by the way the components handle circular references, where a level containing an actor attached to a component refuses to save because the component is a 'private object'.

Comment

Originally posted by drekmonger View Post
            I might be missing something...is there no way to override an actor component's constructor with blueprints? (What does the Auto Activate flag do, anyway? I had hoped that it setting it to true would cause the Initialize Component event to act like a constructor -- but it doesn't seem to be the case.)

For lack of finding an overriddable constructor, I tried using the Get Components node on my actor's constructor, then calling a function on the component -- which sort of works. A few problems there, though.

First, if a component is part of the actor, rather than just attached to the actor out in the level, there's no way to modify the component's variables from the level editor. It's terribly inconvenient. It would be really nice to be able to change those variables on a per instance basis from the level editor. I'm not sure why it works the way it does.

Second, if the component is attached to the actor in the level, it's exposed variables are modifiable, but the editor doesn't dirty the actor and thus fire it's constructor when these variables are messed with. I made an exposed boolean on my actor that I can toggle on and off in order to force the constructor to execute (more easily), but again, it's inconvenient. It's a couple extra clicks for something that updates wonderfully and automagically when the code is in the actor's constructor. It's swank to move a slider and see things happen immediately in the viewport.

Third, it's pretty fragile. For example, I 'accidentally' deleted an event on a component that was called by the actor's constructor, and the editor crashed hard. I've had some other minor bugs that I believe are caused by the way the components handle circular references, where a level containing an actor attached to a component refuses to save because the component is a 'private object'.
            Not really related to your problem, but i had the same problem you have in your third statement. Just placed a mesh to my scene, added a blueprint component on scene, choosed where to save blueprint component, and at the end i created a blueprint class from the object i have in scene. But now, trying to saving scene gives me error that blueprint component is an external object and couldn't be saved. Making my components from blueprint editor doesn't give me the same error. Very frustrating.

Comment

InitializeComponent is your rough equivalent to BeginPlay. Is this inadequate for what you need?

Activation is something that is used for Audio and Particle components (among a very few others), it also used to be tied to whether a component could tick. The auto activate and tick have been disconnected and hopefully for 4.8 we are going to clean up activation to only exist for the components that actually use it. It had been at the base level in an effort to keep a consistent API for activation, but it has become more confusing given how few components use it.

Are you talking about components defined in the blueprint's component tree? We did try to make them editable on a per instance basis but it was causing a huge number of bugs and at the last minute we had to disable it. I certainly hope to get it back in for a future release, however, I haven't had time yet to figure out why the mechanism was causing so many and varied bugs.

This is fixed for 4.8. https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...dafd0622f2163a

Certainly crashing is no good, please put up answer hub posts with repro cases for these (if you haven't already). The component template in a blueprint certainly may not hold a reference to an actor in the level. A component added via the component tree to a specific instance should be able to, though it is potentially going to cause issues if you promote that instance to a class, if you have a repro case for that kind of error please also put that up on AnswerHub, I'd definitely like to fix it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

UPDATE!

The 4.7.1 Hotfix is now live! It contains a number of fixes for our latest release, all listed below.

If you experience a bug with the 4.7.1 Hotfix, please remember to log a bug report for the issue on the UE4 AnswerHub to the Bug Reports section.

Fixed in 4.7.1

UE-6706 Text does not scale when using the "Draw Text" node in a HUD blueprint
                UE-7139 Crash caused by "/Game/Maps/UEDPIE_2_Menu.Menu not cleaned up by garbage collection!"
                UE-7497 No Graphs are displayed in Visual Logger after enabling them
                UE-9745 Color picker does not work.
                UE-10016 Using the Merge Blueprints feature crashes the editor
                UE-10114 LevelScript should not get a Overlap event added by default
                UE-10137 Redirected graph nodes cause a crash in IsDataOnlyBlueprint
                UE-10141 Vehicle code project has default texture in packaged game
                UE-10143 High reflectivity on all materials in SunTemple on Android
                UE-10167 Undoing a pasted custom event node with an input pin results in a crash
                UE-10169 When installing VS through the editor, invoke installer with a command-line parameter that enables Microsoft's Telemetry
                UE-10257 Mac to Android first time device is plugged in, after installing tadp user still has to place sdk paths
                UE-10260 Pre-existing Foliage stays at highest LOD
                UE-10277 Android fails to show as valid platform for Mac in UFE until editor is opened
                UE-10283 TargetArray nodes are reported as invalid if played in Standalone mode but not in PIE
                UE-10298 Creating an exposed variable does not always update correctly to the bp's Details panel
                UE-10305 Set Timer node does not stop the timer if it is set to zero by the Custom Event
                UE-10313 Crash playing animation montage in reverse
                UE-10319 Crash attempting to edit a Struct Transform's rotation value as a slider
                UE-10406 All shadow casting on Paper2D sprites is broken (no sprites cast shadows)
                UE-10410 Reparenting an Actor blueprint crashes the editor
                UE-10510 Crash occurs applying instance changes to blueprint when instances have different changes
                UE-10524 Icon reports failure to add if creating a project with source control enabled
                UE-10529 TappyChicken: HTML5: Firefox: The Fullscreen button now displays the screen offcentre (large black border on the right)
                UE-10537 Editor crash when child component has physics enabled and is moved
                UE-10562 Empty if blocks are generated in shaders and can cause driver compiler crashes on Android
                UE-10646 Crash occurs copying a non-scene component in component window
                UE-10650 Possible crash in USceneComponent::UpdatePhysicsVolume
                UE-10658 Excessive memory consumption in some circumstances due to off-by-1 count error
                UE-10732 Actor's attached to an Actor with a blueprint created root component don't stay in correct relative position when moved
                UE-10793 GitHub 851 : Update .gitignore - ignore FeaturePacks
                UE-10812 Comparing BB entries doesn't work
                UE-10822 Crash clearing the undo buffer during blueprint merge
                UE-10826 Crash compiling Level BP after deleting event
                Last edited by Stephen Ellis; 02-27-2015, 01:30 PM.
                Stephen Ellis | Enterprise Program Coordinator

Comment

| Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

The new release will not convert my 4.6.1 project. I try opening a copy with the new release and it gets to 94 percent and then hangs. Task manager shows memory and cpu usage but I gave it over an hour before I killed the task.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalD View Post
                      The new release will not convert my 4.6.1 project. I try opening a copy with the new release and it gets to 94 percent and then hangs. Task manager shows memory and cpu usage but I gave it over an hour before I killed the task.
                      Hi MetalD,

Please make a post on the answerhub in the bug reports section at http://answers.unrealengine.com so we can assist you in depth. Additionally, is this limited to one project or does the hang occur on any project you attempt to move to 4.7?
                      Adam Davis | Marketplace Support | Epic Games
                      How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues? | Answerhub Bug Reports | Twitter

Comment

I tried a 4.5 project with the same result. It stalls at 94% I will repost in the link you supplied. Thanks.

Comment

I downloading the 4.7.0 version but it's changed to 4.7.1 during download in launcher ... it's possible to broken the final installation ? i'm on low speed internet connection and it's very hard for me to download 4 GB again ..
                          ABC Augmented Reality by UE4
                          GooglePlay

ArchVis VR

Comment

yeah, I still cannot convert my project - 95% then boom, hard crash.

I have posted on Answerhub - since the preview builds - and have constantly updated with new information / new builds.

Comment

Originally posted by Vahid View Post
                              I downloading the 4.7.0 version but it's changed to 4.7.1 during download in launcher ... it's possible to broken the final installation ? i'm on low speed internet connection and it's very hard for me to download 4 GB again ..
                              Look up a couple posts, they just released 4.7.1
                              Acclivity Game Studios. Making a BP FPS, Tutorial Series on Blog : On Unreal Wiki : Twitch

Comment

I tried filing this under the bug reports answerhub, and it wouldn't allow me. So I'm posting here in hopes this gets fixed in 4.7.2 or 4.8, whichever comes first.

Basically, whenever I change a setting under the Editor or Project settings menus, the entire editor freezes for a solid 3+ seconds and then unlocks as if nothing happened. This is EXTREMELY frustrating and really making it hard to work on my project. I didn't find any other reports of this so I seriously hope it isn't a personal issue. My machine is in fully working order and has no other issues. Also worth mentioning is the last version I used prior to upgrading to 4.7/4.7.1, was 4.4.3. And it did not exhibit this problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X