Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But what if they're not doing it from the month received but from the category of the submission?
    KITATUS
    "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Comment

What do you mean by category?

Comment

Archviz, books, games, short films, plugins etc
        Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
        Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

A big problem is that there is a lot of time between official responses on the forum here. Isn't this a very high priority important program yet the low response rate seems to suggest otherwise.
          Shouldn't there at least be one response per day? Is the low response rate on all the other forum topics as well or just this one?

Comment

Personally think Epic is doing a fine job with the Dev Grants, that their responses here are adequate & the Dev Grant Program is being handled correctly. (barring that they weren't prepared at the beginning)

This program should be long lasting & give all the time necessary for others in the future to submit as well. The announcement happened so fast that not all were prepared when the Grant Program started to submit their entry. And I feel a lot of developers in the future should have this great opportunity available to them as well.
            I would love to see the Grant Program last long into the future, that even some recipients may come back after successes to contribute as well, guaranteeing the future of the Grant Program for a long time to come.

I like the speed at which the Program is moving & think the fortunate recipients so far are well deserving. And that the Dev Grant Program shouldn't be rushed, and I think it's wrong for so many to try to pressure Epic into rushing the program thinking that they might personally receive a grant if they do. This is not a race or a contest & some of the behavior here is almost shameful, too much self interest & not thinking of others. I don't even believe a lot here submitting even need any real help just want to pocket some cash.

I have to commend Epic on their resolve & their handling of the Grant Program so far and congratulate all of the recipients.
            And I know how excited most posters here are but I tend to regret how some of the community have acted or re-acted on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ayretek View Post
              the Dev Grant Program shouldn't be rushed, and I think it's wrong for so many to try to pressure Epic into rushing the program thinking that they might personally receive a grant if they do.
              Actually most people here seem to be pressuring Epic into giving feedback.

Posting "now working on applications from week X" on Twitter once a month would be a far cry from rushing the program and would achieve a few things :

- calm down the discussions here
              - inform the developers
              - discourage people from applying after two weeks of work because those guys won't be willing to wait.

I also believe the program is going nicely. That doesn't mean improvements can't be made.
              Helium Rain, a realistic space opera

Comment

Very good response & I have to agree.

I know how excited one would be to have a submission & expecting some result. But, obviously, the program was introduced in such a short time frame with no real procedure to handle all the submissions. And I don't believe most realize that. I can certainly understand wanting some sort of response & the frustration from just not knowing what's going on.

I don't think it was intended or obviously setup to handle that need. I'd have to agree that a simple spreadsheet or doc updated every month or less, with the info on whether submissions were received, in the review process or whatever information they would like to release would be appropriate to some degree. Not sure, showing the end results of a review would be to everyone's liking though or whether that should even be revealed.

Although it is a grant, I think some get confused with what type of grant, I don't think it was ever meant to be setup like a College Grant with it's system of responses etc.
                I guess in time some sort of info such as submissions having been received etc. will be setup, easing some of the stress participants are having.

With Epic making such an attempt at helping the gaming dev community & especially the Indie community, I find that I become defensive very easily and hope I don't come off wrong. I could only imagine the frustration of not knowing what has become of a submission. I just hope the Grant can continue for a long time to come because of the future implications, and if nothing else but from the hope it gives us all.

ps: like your blog etc. & nice to see someone using Blender to such a degree, was very enlightening although I wish it was more in depth, interesting methods you are using.

Comment

Hi guys.

I hope this helps.

To the ones that didn't applied yet, or are working on the update application suggested by Chance there is an article about how to prepare pitchs to funding released by indie fund recently on their blog, while they are another funding source I think most tips could apply.

Best of luck to all you!
                  VIDA - U4 Indie Goth Horror Game
                  Project Thread

Comment

I don't think any of that applies to this because I don't think there's any condition that the game has to make money.
                    It's a complete mystery if you should ask for a specific amount of money or how the amount given is determined.
                    Why would a game get say $50,000 vs $5000?
                    Last edited by mike950; 08-13-2015, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Say, how many people have submitted their game so far? I want to know if i have a change to get something.
                      the awards are between 5,000 to 50,000 dollars.
                      Let's say each developer get's 20,000 dollars.
                      It will be sum of 250 developers.
                      Check out my game OldSchool Nightmare : http://www.indiedb.com/games/oldschool-nightmare

Comment

This is very puzzling to me. There's no other program like it. Lots of money given no strings.
                        Yet it's like a ghost town in here. It's very strange I have to say.

Comment

This is a quote from the mail that approves the game submitting:
                          With the overwhelming number of applications we receive each day, we simply cannot respond directly to each and every submission for Unreal Dev Grants.
                          So I donno :\
                          Check out my game OldSchool Nightmare : http://www.indiedb.com/games/oldschool-nightmare

Comment

I don't think any of that applies to this because I don't think there's any condition that the game has to make money.
                            It's a complete mystery if you should ask for a specific amount of money or how the amount given is determined.
                            Why would a game get say $50,000 vs $5000?
                            Nope! No condition that anything has to perform in any way. As far as asking for amounts - we're letting applicants choose how they present themselves in their submission. Some do and some don't. Having said that, asking for a certain amount doesn't always mean that's what you'll receive if you were to win a grant.

Say, how many people have submitted their game so far? I want to know if i have a change to get something.
                            There have been a *lot* of submissions. It's so cool to see all the different ways that people are using Unreal Engine. As far as having a chance to win - the program is going to be around for quite some time. If you're working on something amazing, submit!

This is very puzzling to me. There's no other program like it. Lots of money given no strings. Yet it's like a ghost town in here. It's very strange I have to say.
                            Sorry for the delay in some response here mike950, I hope that I've cleared up anything you might have had a question about. Also don't forget to check the FAQs section that might give you some more insight into the program.
                            Let's Connect [Twitter]

Comment

Originally posted by phantom530 View Post
                              QUESTION: If I were to submit a project right now (August 9), when could I expect to receive a response? 1 month? 3 months? 6 months? An answer would be great. Thanks!
                              As far as responses go - we'll only be getting in contact if we plan on moving ahead or are looking for more information. If you haven't heard back from us, it's been a while, and your project has made significant progress, you're always welcome to submit again!
                              Let's Connect [Twitter]

Comment

Excellent! Ok I've been wondering about if you should ask for an amount since it started and also wondering why people weren't asking that.
                                Like I was out of the loop or something. It seems like an important thing to know when asking.
                                Well I guess this is more internal but how do you determine what amount projects get? Like what factors go into it?

Also since you do look at every submission do you determine the state of it before moving to the next one to look at?
                                For example: Do you decide right away that it's a no go and try again when there's more? And when you do determine the state
                                can you just send a quick email saying it didn't qualify yet? That way we know what's going on.

And an example why this is important. You're working on the project. You submit it.
                                You then start working on other projects that you need to do.
                                Meanwhile waiting to hear back. If you get a message saying not accepted yet you jump back to submitted project because that's now higher priority.
                                Without feedback we never know when to start working on submitted project.
                                It's a very easy and minimal time consuming courtesy towards the developer.
                                Last edited by mike950; 08-16-2015, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X