Engine Features Preview 1/22/2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    A question about that, is the "New Diffuse Shading Model" in the 4.7.x or will be in the 4.8 or when ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by iniside View Post
    From what I looked at commit, there were some changes all around shader code. It doesn't look like simple switch.
    Do you have the link to the git commit ? I would be interested to look at it.

Originally posted by HeadClot View Post
    3. When is the new diffuse shading model planned to hit?
    I'm also interested about that question, is this planned for 4.7 ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So three Questions about the new Diffuse shading model.

1. Will this break our existing shaders?

2. Will this be lighter on mobile and other low end devices?

3. When is the new diffuse shading model planned to hit?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Trojke View Post
    You guys should really do a preview of the unified blueprint editor, I'm loving it! Also the new icons for all the different blueprint types is nifty. Its much easier to see one type of Blueprint over another making visually looking for a file much easier! Keep up the good work!
    Awesome, glad you like it. I think we are still messing around with the layout and gathering feedback on the obvious/weird things before we showcase it. It will definitely be in 4.7 but we probably won't advertise it much until next week's Engine Features Preview. Maybe we'll show it on Twitch though. Actually we have a lot of cool late additions to 4.7 to talk about.

--Mike

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DamirH View Post
    I assume that you're moving toward having scripts appear as just another resource type in the Content Browser?
    Yeah, we don't have a final timeline on this yet, but these changes are phase 1 of a longer-term plan to allow the Content Browser to show you more things (source files, configs, etc).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Jamie Dale View Post
    We show multiple "C++ Classes" folders, one for your project (shown as "Game C++ Classes" in that screenshot, but will just be called "C++ Classes" on release), one for the Engine ("Engine C++ Classes"), and then one for each plugin that has code (eg, "Paper2D C++ Classes").

Each of these contains folders for any modules that belong to that category (you can't really tell that in the screenshot as ShooterGame only has one module with UObject-based classes), and then each of these module folders mirror that modules layout on disk.

It currently only shows UObject-based classes, so you'll only see classes tagged as UCLASS.
    Thanks for the info... So, seeing that the Trello roadmap has an entry for showing basically all source classes, I assume that you're moving toward having scripts appear as just another resource type in the Content Browser?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by jrapczak View Post
    We are on 4.5.1. Did you guys do anything more than switch the default diffuse BRDF shader define from Lambertian to Burley? Or are there shader code improvements to go along with this change as well?

Jesse
    From what I looked at commit, there were some changes all around shader code. It doesn't look like simple switch.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Adam Davis View Post

We just switched our shading model to use a more accurate diffuse model. Previously we were using Lambert diffuse which reflects the same constant color in all directions. It is very simple and has been used in CG for a long time. It is not that physically accurate but is very cheap. For a small cost we can do better. The new model is an energy conserving Burley diffuse model.
    We are on 4.5.1. Did you guys do anything more than switch the default diffuse BRDF shader define from Lambertian to Burley? Or are there shader code improvements to go along with this change as well?

Jesse

Leave a comment:

• replied
    1. The screenshot now shows content being split into "C++ Classes" and "Content". Is this a new way of displaying folders or is that just the particular folder structure of that project?
    2. If it's the former, the C++ Classes folder, that's basically just the Source folder of the game?
    We show multiple "C++ Classes" folders, one for your project (shown as "Game C++ Classes" in that screenshot, but will just be called "C++ Classes" on release), one for the Engine ("Engine C++ Classes"), and then one for each plugin that has code (eg, "Paper2D C++ Classes").

Each of these contains folders for any modules that belong to that category (you can't really tell that in the screenshot as ShooterGame only has one module with UObject-based classes), and then each of these module folders mirror that modules layout on disk.

3. Are all classes shown in there, even those created via VS?
    It currently only shows UObject-based classes, so you'll only see classes tagged as UCLASS.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    1. The screenshot now shows content being split into "C++ Classes" and "Content". Is this a new way of displaying folders or is that just the particular folder structure of that project?
    It is the new way to display folders.

2. If it's the former, the C++ Classes folder, that's basically just the Source folder of the game?
    Correct.

As far as I can see, it only shows UObjects like Actors, so no "pure" C++ classes or structs.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No one knows about the new C++ stuff? Reposting for bump.

A few questions regarding the C++ content:

I believe that's all for now...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ggx specular, lambertian diffuse. Now we're in sync with Pixar, as far as I know they use ggx also.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UE4 was using lamber as diffuse shading.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wasn't UE4 using GGX before, so does this mean GGX is out in favour of Burley diffuse model?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Trojke View Post
    You guys should really do a preview of the unified blueprint editor, I'm loving it! Also the new icons for all the different blueprint types is nifty. Its much easier to see one type of Blueprint over another making visually looking for a file much easier! Keep up the good work!
    What is this you speak of???? I must know

Leave a comment:

Working...
X