Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great stuff!

Comment

I'm currently working on an improved implementation of the CableComponent that reacts to forces, collisions and more. This is mostly for our game, Action Arcade Wrestling 3, to be used as ring ropes. But if people are interested I could release it as a plugin in the Marketplace.

I'll try to post some videos and screenshots soon.

Edit:
      Here is the thread to my implementation: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...e-Cable-Plugin
      Last edited by VICOGameStudio; 12-29-2014, 04:34 AM.
      Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
      Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
      Current Projects:
      CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
      VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

Comment

Originally posted by VICOGameStudio View Post
        I'm currently working on an improved implementation of the CableComponent that reacts to forces, collisions and more. This is mostly for our game, Action Arcade Wrestling 3, to be used as ring ropes. But if people are interested I could release it as a plugin in the Marketplace.

Edit:
        Here is the thread to my implementation: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...e-Cable-Plugin
        I would be interested in seeing that in the MarketPlace

Comment

Worth your full attention!

Originally posted by VICOGameStudio View Post

Edit:
          I am just going to attach a video of VICOGameStudio's WIP CableComponent Plugin, because his above post does not do his work justice & he more than deserves to have more people follow through to the above link he posted

Regards,
          Benjamin D. Smith

Founder & CEO | Binary Sword Pty Ltd
          Currently working on: ODIN Tracker (UE4 Plugin)

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
            Neat!

Is there a relatively easy way to generate these at run time (i.e. during gameplay) rather than placing in the editor?
            Is there an answer to this question? I just tried today to make a c++ property which would be a cable component accessible from c++ code and am getting an error.

Trying this:

CableComponent = PCIP.CreateDefaultSubobject<class UCableComponent>(this, TEXT("CableComponent0"));

Gives this:
            error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "private: static class UClass * __cdecl UCableComponent::GetPrivateStaticClass(wchar_t const *)" (?GetPrivateStaticClass@UCableComponent@@CAPEAVUClass@@PEB_W@Z) referenced in function "public: class UCableComponent * __cdecl FObjectInitializer::CreateDefaultSubobject<class UCableComponent>(class UObject *,class FName,bool)const " (??$CreateDefaultSubobject@VUCableComponent@@@FObjectInitializer@@QEBAPEAVUCableComponent@@PEAVUObject@@VFName@@_N@Z)

I do have my plugin's PublicDependencyModuleNames ( and PrivateDependencyModuleNames) set to include CableComponent, but no dice.

Currently using the cable from the blueprint, but want to be able to reference it from C++ too.

Am i doing something wrong, or are we not able to reference this component from C++ code?

Comment

Hey warhead - the answer to that question is yes, it's possible.

I made changes to the cable component myself and exposed it all to Blueprint to make it spawnable at run-time - I'll share the code later when I'm not at work

Comment

ah, i think i get it. you can't access the cable directly from c++ but you can make a blueprint just for the cable component and then can spawn the blueprint in code, right? if so, makes sense.

Comment

Not quite; I modified the plugin to expose everything to Blueprint. Tracked down my code - it's largely the same as the original version, but allows for both ends to move instead of being fixed:
                  http://www.filedropper.com/cablecomponent

Comment

For anyone interested, my Dynamic Rope/Cable Plugin, which includes features such as Collision, Force interaction, Wind interaction, Attache to Component/Sockets/Bones, and more, has been released.
                    You can find progress info here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...e-Cable-Plugin
                    And if you are interested in purchasing, you can do so here: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/devel...system-for-ue4

Feedback and comments are welcome.
                    Owner of VICO Game Studio LLC
                    Twitter: @VICO_GameStudio
                    Current Projects:
                    CHIKARA: Action Arcade Wrestling in collaboration with Dave Horn (@Action937) and CHIKARA Pro Wrestling - WIP Thread
                    VICO Dynamics Physics Library - Details: https://www.vicogamestudio.com/projects/vico-dynamics

Comment

Will the cable component that Crystal Voliva made for us will have collision in the futur?

Because the cable just fall through the ground of the world, i was looking for something to enable collisions on the cable component, but it seem there is nothing (at least in blueprint i found no way to enable this)

i am using UE4 4.6.1

Thanks

Comment

Hey, most of the properties of CableComponent aren't exposed to blueprints - notably End Location and Other Actor so you can't create a cable from Blueprint. Seems like an easy fix. 4.7?
                        Impromptu Games|dev blog|twitter|itch.io store|Patreon
                        Impromptu Procedural Ladders|Impromptu Procedural Handrails|Impromptu Procedural Stairs
                        |Impromptu Fire Propagation|InFlux Example Game|Impromptu Vector Field Painter

Comment

For anyone interested, I have implemented a cable for our Chaos grapple hook which bends around objects. I use a Spline to do that and manipulate the spline points at runtime to get the bends. The code draws the spline tick by tick and detects collisions using traces, and so as such, it's not really an actor on it's own which sits in the world and interacts with things, which is what most people here want, but the concept could possibly be converted to such. If anyone is interested I can share some code.

Comment

Hehe, crazy cool stuff warhead328! Any plans putting complete solution (C++ preferably) to the Marketplace for a fee ?

Comment

Originally posted by warhead328 View Post
                              For anyone interested, I have implemented a cable for our Chaos grapple hook which bends around objects. I use a Spline to do that and manipulate the spline points at runtime to get the bends. The code draws the spline tick by tick and detects collisions using traces, and so as such, it's not really an actor on it's own which sits in the world and interacts with things, which is what most people here want, but the concept could possibly be converted to such. If anyone is interested I can share some code.

Do want. Seriously.

I'd suggest making it into a pack, even (can offer some help if you like), as this type of grappling hook is something a lot of people wouldn't mind having, but don't know how to make. For my part, it's low priority compared to other stuff, but would be amazing to have.
                              Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

I need to consider a lot of issues and finalize a lot of things before I'm ready to post anything, but when ready I'll post up some code examples of the basic idea of how to manipulate a spline for this purpose, enough to get someone on the right path to implementing it on their own. The basic idea is simple, but the getting a final good result is not as straight forward as one would want it to be and I did some dark tricks to get it to work. Like I said, it's code driven, not actor driven, and that right there could be a deal breaker for some people who just want to drop an actor in and watch it interact with the world.

I can't really post up much more than some spline code samples because the hook itself is Chaos property, but sharing a technical example of how to implement a world interactive spline will not be an issue. Pretty simple for me to make some code snips of the basic idea.

Of course, Chaos manager R.Flagg might be interested in making the hook available to interested parties as a separate add on, so you could always hit him up for that.
                                He can be found at https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...ighlight=chaos or http://www.ChaoticDreams.org
                                Last edited by warhead328; 03-04-2015, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X