Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys I had a quick question about this update.. I have the 4.7 update installed and worked on a level and tried updating the unreal launcher to 4.7 and it was only updating to 4.6.1. not sure why I cant update the launcher?

Comment

Loving the changes in the 4.7 5 preview. Keep up the great work!

Comment

Originally posted by Dalon View Post
        https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...tor-crash.html

Can anyone confirm this? (Editor crashed when attempting to open an animation blueprint - existing ones as well as newly created ones) Happens to me even in the latest 4.7 branch commit which should be 9577d435436a1bcd94931e5aa9ca47ca381b53f3 at the time of this post.
        This was a bug over the weekend and should be fixed in builds from early sunday till now
        Twitter - @TheKRushin

Feel free to ask questions and come learn to be an #UnrealDev

How to report a Bug

Comment

Can anyone please let me know how I can go back to Preview 2 from preview 5? We really need audio for our project and sadly, there is none in the latest preview. I have git set up but I'm a bit unsure on how I can download and build Preview 2

Comment

Originally posted by maxzerr View Post
            Can anyone please let me know how I can go back to Preview 2 from preview 5? We really need audio for our project and sadly, there is none in the latest preview. I have git set up but I'm a bit unsure on how I can download and build Preview 2
            If you are stuck on 4.7 then it would probably be better to move forward to head instead of back to preview 2 as there have been a huge number of changes, but it can't be reiterated enough that you should not be developing a game on the preview build. It is made available for testing compatibility, playing around with new features, and catching upgrade bugs on a *copy* of your project, but it is not expected to be stable for development until it's released

Preview 6 should be coming down the pipe in the next few days as well, but I don't know the specific timing.

Cheers,
            Michael Noland

Comment

Thanks for the quick update, Michael. We need our prototype to be ready by this week. Most of the work is done, but we only need to add some little things here and there. Preview 3 wouldn't even load up our project and would crash. Is there anyway I can rollback to a previous version of the preview using github? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edit: will also keep in mind that previews are only for testing from next time

Comment

Thanks for the quick update, Michael. We need our prototype to be ready by this week. Most of the work is done, but we only need to add some little things here and there. Preview 3 wouldn't even load up our project and would crash. Is there anyway I can rollback to a previous version of the preview using github? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edit: will also keep in mind that previews are only for testing from next time
                Yeah, you should be able to sync back to any point, but I don't know the labels for each preview build. If you can get the P4 CL# from the someone who still has preview 2 (in the editor About box) then you can look it up on GitHub and convert to an equivalent git commit to sync to. Otherwise you might try syncing to latest in 4.7 or perhaps https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...cb9ac8619e18e6 from this weekend, which Kamrann mentioned compiled for them a few posts ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Preview5Version.png
Views:	1
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	1066267

Cheers,
                Michael Noland
                Last edited by Michael Noland; 02-10-2015, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Also to clarify, syncing backwards after saving content in a more recent version is *not* safe in general, but because we lock ObjectVersion.h in release branches, it's relatively safe in this case.

Cheers,
                  Michael Noland

Comment

with version 4.7 preview 5, the first person template, physics does not work,
                    projectiles no longer pushes boxes.

Comment

Thanks, Michael. It says 4.7.0-2388154. So, basically I search for the corresponding commit number and then commit to that? The commit should have been made in the master branch, right? Sorry for too many questions but I'm new to git
                      Last edited by maxzerr; 02-10-2015, 03:20 AM.

Comment

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...94e15fbcd2f626

This is probably it, if anybody wants it

Comment

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...94e15fbcd2f626

This is probably it, if anybody wants it
                          Thanks didnt think about doing this!
                          ZOMBIE TOWN AHHH (ANDROID/STEAM) | RIDE SHARE EMPIRE (ANDROID/GAME JAM) | NEVER NOT KNIGHT (ANDROID/GAME JAM) | TWITTER | MY UE4 TUTORIALS | ANSWERHUB

Comment

Originally posted by KingBadger3D View Post
                            @ ZeOrb,

Not offensive mate. Ive seen the descriptions, but that's not the point. 4.7 Preview 5 should be very close to release code as by it's very name it's the 5th iteration with release expected within weeks. So would be a good starting point for integrating our new code into UE. As 4.7 has new LOD code and instancing code we have to use this as a dev base. We have semi working code for the client already but need 4.7 to test updated integration.I understand the 4.7 branch is basicly a master version being updated constantly, that's my point. Why do we need a master branch, a promoted master branch which can't be used for future dev tests as many things could change before that branch gets released, and a preview branch master thats constantly updated so is a lottery if will compile. Would make for more sense for coders to have the latest stable preview build available through the launcher as a downloadable preview build that isnt updated. At least then we can use that as a base for code changes and know it will compile.
                            I don't know maybe the more sensable thing for them to do is go back to not showing previews at all and just put the releases on the launcher and thats it? People apparently can not read that the whole part where it says "Developers should not convert their projects for active development on preview releases." This is a preview release with issues, its not granteed to work, its going to have lots of broken parts to it. Also there has not been an announced release date. They are hoping to have a release in afew weeks but its not announced and can change at any point.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Noland View Post
                              it can't be reiterated enough that you should not be developing a game on the preview build.
                              Just to reinforce this, please always remember to back up your projects before loading (and especially saving assets) using any Preview release of UE4. We'll look into adding features to the Launcher to help keep your files safe when using Preview releases.

Originally posted by Michael Noland View Post
                              Preview 6 should be coming down the pipe in the next few days as well, but I don't know the specific timing.
                              Preview 6 should be released today, within the next four hours. We'll be doing at least one more preview release after this one, possible a few more, to get additional testing and stability.

--Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fricker View Post
                                Preview 6 should be released today, within the next four hours. We'll be doing at least one more preview release after this one, possible a few more, to get additional testing and stability.

--Mike
                                Now THAT gets me excited!

I noticed skimming through this thread that some say that preview branches should be removed from the Launcher; To those people, I pose this theory:

If the preview build is in the launcher, More people are going to be inclined to download it (As opposed to getting the GitHub release and building it everytime. Having it in the launcher gets the preview to more people... And do you know what that means?

More test subjects! More people to break the preview release, find bugs and loopholes. Why is this beneficial? The more bugs found in the preview phase, the more that can be fixed pre-release. In theory, this should make for the most stable release when release comes.

Just because 4.7 is on the launcher; Doesn't mean you should migrate your project straight away. I mean by all means, do so, but be wary that crashes may and WILL happen and things are likely to go wrong. In migrating to 4.7 without backing up is silly, you're most likely going to break something in the preview release. However in doing a part of your project (After cloning the project) in the preview release, you're doing Epic Games a great service in helping finding bugs and squashing them before release.

4.7 seems to have more bugs then normal as there's been a huge overhaul in UI and a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff. It is possible that this preview release is a one-off with the amount of "Game-breaking" bugs, but Epic have been fantastic with getting the bugs dealt with as soon as possible.

Remember when using a preview release, you're not doing it for your own benefit; You're doing it to help the community and Epic by finding bugs that would normally have gone unnoticed until release.

So next time you download a preview release, just be wary that there will most likely be bugs (Hence why it's a preview release and not a full release) and it's your choice weather to use it or not. If you use it, you get the most recent version of the engine and are helping the community / Epic a great deal but you're also using something that could have a bug that will stop you advancing in your project.

I hope this helps some people realise the point of the preview releases (I know it's pretty darn obvious but some people can get confused sometimes!)
                                KITATUS
                                "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Comment

Working...
                                X