Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Wow, that's quite an update!

Regarding the C++ changes, I'm unclear on how to proceed, based on the explanations in the Release Notes. Currently I have code like this:

AMyCharacter::AMyCharacter(const class FPostConstructInitializeProperties& PCIP)
    : Super(PCIP)
    {
    Body = PCIP.CreateOptionalDefaultSubobject<USkeletalMeshComponent>(this, AMoHCharacter::BodyComponentName);
    }

The existing documentation (4.5) makes it appear as if we simply replace the PCIP-related code directly with:

AUDKEmitterPool::AUDKEmitterPool(const class FObjectInitializer& ObjectInitializer)
    : Super(ObjectInitializer)

The release notes, however, state:

"FPostContructInitializeProperties is deprecated. It's replaced by FObjectInitializer, and you only have to specify it when you actually need it."

How do I know if I need it (i.e. How does FObjectInitializer replace PCIP, because it's not actually used in the documentation example)?

I am also unclear on how the Body (skel mesh) component is now created. The release notes state "You now define and use "normal" C++ constructors for your classes".

Does this mean that I would write something like:

Body = new USkeletalMeshComponent();

If yes, do I need to check classes like this to see if they require parameters, or if they have empty constructors, before instantiating them?

I understand that there is a requirement for macros so that the user-generated code is integrated into/exposed to the editor. That said, there's a fair bit of it, and to someone without a detailed understanding of what the macros do under the hood, it seems arcane. Therefore, when you make fundamental changes to the code structure like this, then someone like me (Java programmer), needs to wait until someone gets around to updating an existing wiki example, or writes a new one.

I apologize if I sound like I'm complaining; I've only been working with UE4 for a short while, and I am enjoying the experience. To get up and running quickly, however, I rely heavily (too heavily, perhaps) on existing "boiler plate" examples. Therefore, if you could shine some light on how these changes affect existing code (sort of a before and after example), it would be appreciated.

Thanks again for all of your hard work.
    Last edited by DM_Actual; 12-04-2014, 01:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Since the release notes mention it, has someone tried splinethicken for hair rendering?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sweet! Downloading it now!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Fantastic work overall, but extra appreciation goes to the animation folks for the great updates.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That's simply Epic
    Thanks for the foliage lightening and the multi texture new shader.
    Last edited by Galeon; 12-04-2014, 07:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by JohnnyBeans78 View Post
    Can we get some clarification on the TSubobject<> change? Should we be implementing the private with Get() Set() functions stating with 4.6 or 4.7? I see that making them private will happen in 4.6 (edit I mean 4.7) but what about the Get() Set() can/should we start using them now? Do these Getters and Setters need a certain signature? I am very glad to see the TSubs go (I never felt like I understood WTF I was doing with them), but now with the freedom comes questions
    If you are doing it honestly doesn't matter.
    The good coding practice is that raw pointers shouldn't be really exposed directly.

The thing to get used is that all default subobjects (like Movement componenet in ACharacter), will be private and you will be accessing it trough GetMovementComponent() instead of directly.

I usually don't make any components private, they either public or protected.

The Get is usually like
    Code:
    UYourComponent* GetYourComponent()
    {
     return YourComponentPointer;
    }
    Setters are not needed, as last time i checked you can't swap default subobjects at runtime.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks !! lots of stuff we can use right away....

We love the engine !

Leave a comment:

• replied
    looks great and everything on my end so far is working perfectly, really happy about this release.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Amazing update! So much useful stuff.
    I take it the two sided lighting model being worked on got postponed?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    How do we use the UI web browser widget?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Still kind of disappointed that the "scaled bone" bugs aren't fixed (root motion extraction must be upscaled, still can't build correct physics assets), but I suppose that's what my stupid self gets for using Blender without reading the UE docs first.

After fixing three bugs the update introduced (having to break certain HUD calls out into the event graph because of unpure functions, having to retune some anim end times in a couple montages to realign notifies and segments, having to go find all of my Vector Equal nodes and put a nonzero value in the error tolerance because the pre-4.6 default was nonzero and it broke input-axis-related stuff), I'm SUPER happy with it. BPs (mine are COLOSSAL) load and move around faster, and I no longer have to spend 5 minutes every time I open a session changing particle collision channels and resetting DataTableRow assets just to get the project playable again.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Impressive changelog. I downloaded the 4.6 preview the other night and haven't had much of a change to test it yet, and didn't expect the official release so soon. I guess I have something to do tonight

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Devero View Post
    For the life of me, I'm not able to see the Inventory screen shown in the first pic at the beginning of the post. I downloaded 4.6 and the shooter game 4.6 how do I see this wonderful Inventory screen in-game?

Thanks for any help!
    I'm wondering about this too, can we even access this?
    How were the texture elements made? Custom photoshop skills? Gradient fill interface designer / button creation plugin? By hand from scratch?
    It looks really great !

Leave a comment:

• replied
    For the life of me, I'm not able to see the Inventory screen shown in the first pic at the beginning of the post. I downloaded 4.6 and the shooter game 4.6 how do I see this wonderful Inventory screen in-game?

Thanks for any help!

Also did "Clip Space Transformations" aka "TransformToClipSpace node" make it in 4.6 I didn't see it on the list. Thanks again!
    Last edited by Devero; 12-03-2014, 10:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am impressed with the New update. still amazed at how fast you guys produce new updates. Awesome Job!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X