Unreal Engine 4.6 Released!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    What are the limitations of using shared samples? I heard the format must be the same for all textures, but do all the textures need to be the same size?
    There are no limitations on the textures used with shared samplers. it just causes the wrap mode on the UTexture used to be ignored, instead it that TextureSample is forced to use the wrap mode that comes from the shared sampler.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    did the experimental cylinder projection make it into the release? How do I get this working?
    I dug up some basic information on it:

* put this to 1 to enable the feature, 0 to deactivate, in between numbers are used as transition
    r.Upscale.Cylinder

* useful to render with super sampling (>100, e.g. 150)
    r.ScreenPercentage

* useful to see the feature (or ScreenPercentage) in editor:
    r.ScreenPercentage.Editor

Leave a comment:

• replied
    BTW, did anybody else notice that the sign used to demonstrate the new emissive lights changes in 4.6 is the sign from the old Samaritan demo? Could it be that the Samaritan demo is coming to UE4?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've had the demo record feature crash as well. I was beginning to think that I was the only one who had this issue. Perhaps it only works in a compiled game and not in the editor yet.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by twiddle View Post
    Here's a little writeup I put together on the Answerhub, short answer is you'll need a source build for now in order to integrate a few fixes I made after 4.6 was branched :
    https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...tesupport.html
    Thank you so much!!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by prcn3dlight View Post
    Is there Any tutorial about how to integrate SQLite ?
    I tried to include the header files "SQLiteDatabaseConnection.h" to use the db connection class, But the error occurred and "SQLiteSupportPrivatePCH.h" cannot be found. I downloaded 4.6 by Launcher and did not build it from the source.
    Here's a little writeup I put together on the Answerhub, short answer is you'll need a source build for now in order to integrate a few fixes I made after 4.6 was branched :
    https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...tesupport.html

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Hourences View Post
    We already had this problem with C++ variables, and this BP change only makes things worse rather than fixing it.
    It sounds like you are using the wrong settings when specifying your UPROPERTY.

UPROPERTY(EditAnywhere, BlueprintReadWrite ....) is going to let anyone access this property anywhere.

But you can specify EditDefaultsOnly and then it can only be modified in the blueprint defaults and there are a number of different permutations. See https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ers/index.html for more degtails.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by onlycalvin View Post
    how to use WebBrowser in Blueprint?
    Originally posted by Matthew Griffin View Post
    I'm afraid we don't support it in blueprints yet. Just to clarify its usage too, since it is a developer module, it's intended to be used in the editor and other programs rather than games. That makes it something we will largely be using internally but you could still make use of it.

The small controls help pop up in the bottom left of editor viewports uses it to display a html file and there is an example of its use as a web browser in the slateviewer example. The main class of interest is SWebBrowser.
    @onlycalvin

Though look at this

https://github.com/joeriedel/RadiantUI

It recently went BSD licensed and is the same chromium browser, this time for use in-game, not withheld by the developer-folder eula restriction.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Is anybody else having issues with the new network demo recording? It crashes upon putting in the playback command line for me. I'm just playing in the third person template.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Alessiot89 View Post
    please, re-add the zipped download of third-party dependency. It was quicker to download, especially if you have more than one PC.
    I'd like this too.
    With zip files you have a lot of advantages:
    - You can use a download manager to limit your trafic bandwidth / pause and resume later.
    - You can use a separate machine to download it.
    - You can store it for reinstalling UE later.
    - You can download Android and HTML5 support without having them installed yet.
    - You can download Mac support from a non-Mac machine.
    etc. etc.
    Last edited by AntonioGodoy; 12-07-2014, 10:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Blueprint variables now have to be marked public/editable to be accessible from other blueprints.
    Is there any reason for this change? Because it is a pretty bad change.

We already had this problem with C++ variables, and this BP change only makes things worse rather than fixing it.

Consider this case for example, which has been happening to us on multiple large productions:

This is a BP placed in a level. Everything except for the green marked properties should not be visible, but it is, because all those properties came in from the C++ base class. The green properties internally control everything, so the end user is only expected to change those green properties. They are faced however with a long list of very confusing properties, most of which they cannot change or it will break things/not work.

We have had it happen before that people start editing stuff they are not suppose to, because it is not clear what they should and should not change. And that was a problem already with C++ based classes, but now that BP enforces you to do the same thing this problem just got worse.

Speaking of which, what we also don't have is the ability to make grayed out properties in BP, and information boxes. I want to be able to display info (text/values) in the properties to the end user. For example if I have a text field, I want to be able to display somewhere "text field length is currently 65 characters" to ensure there is feedback to the end user as to how he is doing char limit wise (or for whatever other reason).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Alessiot89 View Post
    please, re-add the zipped download of third-party dependency. It was quicker to download, especially if you have more than one PC.
    +10, zipped download is more convenience.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think a better way when migrating content from one project to anther would good. your content browser can get out of hand if you don't set aside some time to relocate thing around, even downloading content from the marketplace is a bit of a pain.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks RythmScript, perfect advice!!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    New versions always secondary-install like that. It's good to do this, since it means if something breaks in the transition to 4.6 from 4.5.1 you can fall back to older versions.

When the time comes, just select "remove engine" under 4.5.1's drop-down in the launcher (or something similar to that text, I can't recall exactly) to delete all of the engine files for that version.

Again, I wouldn't do it right away though. Since I started with UE4.2 every major new release has broken something in my project and I've had to go back to the old one for reference until I can nail down the cause and make the appropriate changes. Just part of the process with software like this.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X