This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RhythmScript View Post
    Am I the only one whose montages are broken when opening a project in 4.6? The time scale is wrong and notifies/branch points are all shifted over slightly.

I think montage clip lengths are now shortened to reflect the animation play rates of the individual clips now, and it causes the montages to display incorrectly...
    Hi RythmScript, there has been some changes to montage editing in 4.6 - and it will auto-scale if anim sequences are shorter than the segments in the montage as otherwise the montage would just keep showing the final frame of the sequence. Is this what you are seeing or is it something else?

Benn.
    Animation and Physics Programmer, UE4, Epic Games

Comment

Originally posted by Crocopede View Post
      Or when physics assets of character will no longer be rejected by the character capsule (as this makes ragdolls no longer a viable option)?
      Could you explain a bit more what the problem is you are seeing?
      Lead Programmer - UE4 Animation/Physics/Audio Team - Epic Games
      Twitter: @EpicJamesG

Comment

In the DM in 4.6 is PhysX/Apex fully supported?

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftIllusion View Post
          Awesome to be getting a preview for this already.
          Regrettably though, math expression nodes, an incredibly helpful addition which was added in 4.4, then broken in 4.5 (work but you can't compile projects with them) are still broken in 4.6, which means I have to hunt through my entire project to resolve problems like this, and amazing addons like iTween for UE4 that relied on countless math expresion nodes basically have to rebuild everything in a more convoluted way if they want people to be able to build projects with it. Really disappointing considering I heard in answerhub that it was recognized as a problem awhile ago and plans were made to fix it. A blueprint node that straight up breaks your ability to compile your project really shouldn't be available when you could spend a lot of development time just testing the project in the editor.

EDIT-
          Another bug found so far
          When I try to get the transform or location of a named bone in 4.6 it immediately crashes (just opened a new project in 3rd person blueprint and found it happening when trying to get a bone of the default character mesh in there)
          Hey SwiftIllusion, can you describe the issues you are referencing with math expression nodes? We did have a few fixes with editing the graphs directly that would cause a crash, some of the fixes made it for 4.6 and some did not, and there is a known issue with packaging with math expression nodes that has not yet been resolved. Are any of these the blocking issue?

Comment

Originally posted by DaEmpty View Post
            The performance improvements are impressive. Thanks for that.

Some issues:
            - erosion of terrain does not work. I get a crash everytime i try to use it.
            - the behavior of the branch node in materials changed. The input pin >= is now a > but the label is still >=.
            - activating the rift mode is a bit unstable
            - still no gamepad support in umg
            Hi DaEmpty,

I was able to reproduce your branch node error and have entered a bug report, UE-5575, to be assessed by the development staff. Thank you!
            Adam Davis | Marketplace Support | Epic Games
            How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues? | Answerhub Bug Reports | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by theProfessor View Post
              In the DM in 4.6 is PhysX/Apex fully supported?
              Hi theProfessor,

From our previous discussions, Support Chunks are now working in UE4. Was there other support you are referencing by "Fully Supported?"

Thanks!

Tim
              Tim Hobson | Learning Resources | Epic Games
              UE4 Documentation

Comment

Originally posted by DaEmpty View Post
                The performance improvements are impressive. Thanks for that.

Some issues:
                - erosion of terrain does not work. I get a crash everytime i try to use it.
                - the behavior of the branch node in materials changed. The input pin >= is now a > but the label is still >=.
                - activating the rift mode is a bit unstable
                - still no gamepad support in umg
                Hey DaEmpty,

I'm looking into the stability issue you mentioned for the rift. Could you make a post on the AnswerHub (https://answers.unrealengine.com/index.html) to elaborate what you mean and what behavior you're experiencing with the rift and I will continue to investigate there.

Thanks

Doug
                Last edited by Doug E; 11-18-2014, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Exelcior View Post
                  Hi RythmScript, there has been some changes to montage editing in 4.6 - and it will auto-scale if anim sequences are shorter than the segments in the montage as otherwise the montage would just keep showing the final frame of the sequence. Is this what you are seeing or is it something else?

Benn.
                  Maybe sorta? The problem is, I built my montages, and then later, I went back and retuned some anim stuff by changing the play rates of the component animation files (mostly setting the play rate to 1.3x or 1.5x). This worked fine; the way UE used to handle it (at least as of 4.5) was to simply play through those portions of the montage faster. So if I had a notify or Branch Point that occurred 25% of the way through a clip, it would always occur 25% of the way through a clip, whether the clip was played at 0.5x or 3.5x, the Branch Point occurred at a certain point in the underlying animation.

NOW, it seems that changing the play rate of the clip simply adjusts its length in the montage, meaning that at 1.3x the playback rate, the Notifies, Branch Points, and segment start/stops all start occurring 33% later than they're supposed to. It also makes it much harder for me to retune animations if I want them to play a little faster or slower after seeing them in action a bunch. I CAN work around this, it's just a PITA since there's no good way to move a whole bunch of notifies and such at once, so I was sort of hoping this was a bug rather than a "feature" and the 4.6 official release would fix it without me having to manually fix every single melee combo montage I've created so far :/

Originally posted by NickDarnell View Post
                  Pure in UE4 only implies that it has no side effects (doesn't set any values), random() and time() are both pure functions. In Slate all data bound to the UI needs to come from a const function, so the extension to blueprints mimics this by requiring the binding also be pure, otherwise very possible to break stuff.
                  Yeah, I can see how that might cause some problems if you let HUD draw calls change the game state... this drives me nuts though, since I currently use the HUD BP to do things like parse a score float into a legible Score string (i.e. turn 12343526.0002 into 12,343,526) with For Loops and some String vars for temporary storage, and now the HUD can no longer perform any of these operations so I have to move them somewhere else.

Comment

Hi Demolition Man,

Try deleting and then replacing the 'Event Any Damage' node. In 4.5.1 it was a custom event node, now it is a standard event node.

Afterwards, if you continue to have this issue, please create a bug report on the AnswerHub, post a link to it here, and we will continue to investigate it further.

https://answers.unrealengine.com/index.html

Cheers,

TJ

Originally posted by Demolition Man View Post
                    Hi again
                    I may have found another issue. This time the problem is with the apply damage node within blueprint. When I run my game in the editor and step on my landmine which is coded with blueprints, it correctly fires off the radial damage routine. However, my pawn class does not appear to be receiving any sort of damage event message at all. So even thought the landmine should score 750 points of damage the result is nothing since the pawn class never receives the information. This was running correctly in 4.5 and I was getting the information via the any damage event in the pawn class.
                    Last edited by TJ V; 11-19-2014, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RhythmScript View Post
                      Yeah, I can see how that might cause some problems if you let HUD draw calls change the game state... this drives me nuts though, since I currently use the HUD BP to do things like parse a score float into a legible Score string (i.e. turn 12343526.0002 into 12,343,526) with For Loops and some String vars for temporary storage, and now the HUD can no longer perform any of these operations so I have to move them somewhere else.
                      You can still do it in the WidgetBlueprint, just do it in the Tick function and store the result in a member that is bound to the UI.

Comment

You can still do it in the WidgetBlueprint, just do it in the Tick function and store the result in a member that is bound to the UI.
                        Fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Jared Therriault View Post
                          On that note, I was also hoping 4.6 would fix the math expression node build issue.
                          @Jared, do you know the repro steps exactly for this? Is it this issue described here: https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...g-cooking.html
                          Last edited by User-1420270633; 11-19-2014, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Landscape Split Out ?? lol you know I don't know what that means :P

could one presume that Landscapes will work as intended in 4.6 then???

Comment

Great work been testing the new version out the past week and a half or so and loving it. Just curious has the build lighting issue been fixed for the github version?

EDIT: Building lighting does seem to work for github version now

Thanks!
                              Last edited by KRushin; 11-19-2014, 09:40 PM.
                              Twitter - @TheKRushin

Feel free to ask questions and come learn to be an #UnrealDev

How to report a Bug

Comment

Pure in UE4 only implies that it has no side effects (doesn't set any values), random() and time() are both pure functions. In Slate all data bound to the UI needs to come from a const function, so the extension to blueprints mimics this by requiring the binding also be pure, otherwise very possible to break stuff.
                                Thanks to Diat Funa and Nick Darnell! This does clarify the matter quite a bit. I guess I was just taken aback by the fact that the UMG HUD functions didn't work in 4.6 when they worked in 4.5. As I mentioned in my post, they started working again once I checked the "Pure" function box option for each of the items in the HUD (i.e. Health display, Armor Display, Shield Display etc.)

Comment

Working...
                                X