Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any ideas or images on what the humanoid rig is?
    [On Hold]WIP: Vertex-Based Ledge Detection/Parkour Engine

Looking for fellow programmers to develop a project.

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftIllusion View Post
      EDIT-
      Another bug found so far
      When I try to get the transform or location of a named bone in 4.6 it immediately crashes (just opened a new project in 3rd person blueprint and found it happening when trying to get a bone of the default character mesh in there)
      Hi SwiftIllusion,

Can you post this to the AnswerHub in the Bugs section along with all relevant details and repro steps to get the crash.

Also include the following information from this post: How do I report a bug?

Also include the crash folder that is created in the following location when you submit the AnswerHub question: C:\ Users \ [Your computer Name] \ AppData \ Local \ Microsoft \ Windows \ WER \ ReportQueue

Thank you!

Tim
      Tim Hobson | Learning Resources | Epic Games
      UE4 Documentation

Comment

Originally posted by DaEmpty View Post
        The performance improvements are impressive. Thanks for that.

Some issues:
        - erosion of terrain does not work. I get a crash everytime i try to use it.
        - the behavior of the branch node in materials changed. The input pin >= is now a > but the label is still >=.
        - activating the rift mode is a bit unstable
        - still no gamepad support in umg
        Hi DaEmpty,

I was able to reproduce your landscape crash and have entered in a bug report, JIRA UE-5519 to be assessed by the development staff. Thank you for your feedback!
        Adam Davis | Marketplace Support | Epic Games
        How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues? | Answerhub Bug Reports | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Chesire View Post
          Using the 4.6 preview build:

1) Is instanced foliage light baking also supposed to work for Speedtrees? In the 4.6 preview build it seems to remove all instances once you do a light bake?

2) How is one supposed to view the new emissive Gi-incorporation? Adding an emissive material next to a wall and baking seems to yield no visible difference?

Hi Chesire,

1) I had Adam test this and everything appears to work on our end with the Sample SpeedTree assets that we've got from their site. We're seeing static lighting baked into the meshes properly.

I'm not sure what's going on with them being removed. Is this only happening with ST assets or any asset for you?

2) For this and my test I took the pillar from the starter content and added a emissive material to it. So long as the object it's applied to is static the lighting generated from the emissive material will be baked into the surrounding static meshes. Using a basic material plugged into emissive alone may not be as bright as you need. You may want to use a multiply node and a plug a constant parameter value in that you can change to give you brighter results if you need.

To view emissive with LPV you will need to select the Material Inputs in the material editor and set the "Emissive (Dynamic Area Light)" to true.
          Tim Hobson | Learning Resources | Epic Games
          UE4 Documentation

Comment

I have a question regarding future support for SLI and NVidia's VR Direct. I know based off of earlier posts a couple months back, there was some discussion about this and it was stated I believe that because of the design of the renderer, it would be very problematic for Epic. Now that the rendering looks to be segregated in 4.6, will this allow the team to implement SLI without major repercussions?
            Alternate Frame Rendering is still very problematic, because making algorithms that do smart things requires maintaining GPU state. Tons of UE4 systems do this - GPU particles, temporal AA and all its applications (7 features are affected), DFAO, eye adaptation, etc. I expect that we will use more GPU state going forward, not less. This is because GPU's are becoming more powerful and we can move more and more operations there.

Nvidia VR direct appears the be the marketing name for all of their Maxwell improvements. A bunch of them are under the hood, meaning the app doesn't have to do anything. I don't know what the plans are to leverage the rest in UE4, Nick Whiting drives VR efforts.

With some major refactoring it might be possible to do each eye on a different GPU, but this is not planned AFAIK.

I am still seeing a 16 texture sample limit in 4.6 Preview, did the change not make it in time for 4.6-Preview? Please tell me it will be in 4.6 proper, I need this badly!!
            To be clear, the sampler limit has not changed, but the unique texture limit has been increased to 128. Samplers are how you tell the GPU what texture addressing and filtering modes to use. Historically we had to have a 1-to-1 mapping between sampler and texture, because of OpenGL limits. To make use of this increased limit you have to use the shared samplers under Sampler Source on a TextureSample node, the default is still to use a sampler per unique texture.

Give me the powers!! I will stress test for you!
            Heh, to be honest I did not test all the way up =) But the D3D11 specs say 128 unique textures, so there you go.

1) Is instanced foliage light baking also supposed to work for Speedtrees?
            As long as they have valid lightmap UVs. You can use the auto lightmap UV generation introduced in 4.5.

2) How is one supposed to view the new emissive Gi-incorporation? Adding an emissive material next to a wall and baking seems to yield no visible difference?
            The wall with the emissive material has to be Static, with a lit material containing non-zero hooked up to Emissive Color. Note that Lightmass has a bunch of limitations on what materials can be exported, basically it only knows about UV0 (no world space, camera vector, vertex color, etc). Try with a material with a constant color going into emissive color.

The full 4.6 notes will have instructions on how to use these new features.

Comment

Any news on whether the new 4.5 skin shader has been fixed to work in VR yet?

Comment

Pumped up to try this web browser support!

Comment

Originally posted by DanielW View Post
                  Alternate Frame Rendering is still very problematic, because making algorithms that do smart things requires maintaining GPU state. Tons of UE4 systems do this - GPU particles, temporal AA and all its applications (7 features are affected), DFAO, eye adaptation, etc. I expect that we will use more GPU state going forward, not less. This is because GPU's are becoming more powerful and we can move more and more operations there.

Nvidia VR direct appears the be the marketing name for all of their Maxwell improvements. A bunch of them are under the hood, meaning the app doesn't have to do anything. I don't know what the plans are to leverage the rest in UE4, Nick Whiting drives VR efforts.

With some major refactoring it might be possible to do each eye on a different GPU, but this is not planned AFAIK.
                  Thanks for the response DanielW. Bummer, it looks like it would probably be more of an issue as time goes on. NVidia almost touted VR Direct as a standalone feature or form of SLI and I figured I'd jump on the SLI train (first time since Diamond 3DFX Voodoo Cards ). My game also relies on VR so I was hoping I could draw from the extra horsepower and/or if VXGI becomes available in the future which could be extremely helpful. I guess never say die but I guess I can at least agree that NVidia's Marketing on this one was effective lol

Well, so much for SLI

Comment

Is it true that UMG still has no gamepad support in 4.6?

Comment

Originally posted by Demolition Man View Post
                      Hi Guys,
                      I've run into a minor issue with my UMG HUD when moving from 4.5 to 4.6. The HUD will not re-compile in 4.6 and I am getting the following message

Binding property 'textdelegate' on widget 'textblock_1082' needs to be bound to a pure function 'Get_HUD_ArmorValue_Text_0' is not pure

So the first question is just what is a PURE function? All this function does is cast back to the player controller to get a float value for the armor and then convert it to a string to print it on the screen.

P.S. I was able to fix this issue by checking the "PURE" function box option inside each of the functions within the HUD blueprint
                      Hi Demoliton Man!

A function is called "pure" when it always returns the same result for same set of inputs and it has no side effects like outputting something or modifying an argument.
                      Function like random() or time() are impure, because each call give you a different result/value.

Comment

Web Browser Support !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Diat Funa View Post
                          Hi Demoliton Man!

A function is called "pure" when it always returns the same result for same set of inputs and it has no side effects like outputting something or modifying an argument.
                          Function like random() or time() are impure, because each call give you a different result/value.
                          Pure in UE4 only implies that it has no side effects (doesn't set any values), random() and time() are both pure functions. In Slate all data bound to the UI needs to come from a const function, so the extension to blueprints mimics this by requiring the binding also be pure, otherwise very possible to break stuff.
                          Last edited by NickDarnell; 11-18-2014, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosel3y View Post
                            Is it true that UMG still has no gamepad support in 4.6?
                            No gamepad support in 4.6, it's still a work in progress. A lot of groundwork had to be laid in Slate first.

Comment

Originally posted by NickDarnell View Post
                              Pure in UE4 only implies that it has no side effects (doesn't set any values), random() and time() are both pure functions. In Slate all data bound to the UI needs to come from a const function, so the extension to blueprints mimics this by requiring the binding also be pure, otherwise very possible to break stuff.

Many thanks for this post Nick!

Comment

Working...
                              X