This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by b1016103 View Post
    That would be a great "new" feature for UE5. Even a basic, across-the-board polish of what's already there would work. Here are just a few quick and easy suggestions:...
    It would be great to be able to break out properties within a node, such as 'length' for strings or arrays, instead of having to extract a property with a separate BP node, just to do comparisons or as input to another node. Would make BPs more compact and readable. Also, I like your takes on the comparison node(s). Option C is really nice, because again, you are combining the comparison and branch nodes, which simplifies and cleans up the BP structure.

Comment

Originally posted by ronm6667 View Post
      It would be great to be able to break out properties within a node, such as 'length' for strings or arrays, instead of having to extract a property with a separate BP node, just to do comparisons or as input to another node. Would make BPs more compact and readable.
      Absolutely. While with larger structs the separate node does makes sense, most of the smaller ones would really benefit from being expanded within the node, instead of creating a separate one.

And don't get me wrong, I'm obviously rooting for more features like better connections, but even a slimmer, more polished UI will be perceived by many as an actual new feature, which is exactly what a major engine update like UE5 wants to accomplish.

Also, some of these suggestions may look like purely aesthetic changes, but having to deal with cleaner-looking layouts would result in countless hours of time saved on coding. Clean code is a universal mantra in regular programming. Blueprint scripting would undeniably benefit from it as well. Here's another quick and dirty prototype comparison while we're at it (note the amount of wasted space in the originals):

Comment

max99x hard_code Thanks for the reports, a fix has been submitted and should go out in the next 4.26 hotfix: https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-108973

Comment

b1016103
          Starkemis
          ronm6667
          William K

Most nodes can be made slimmer
          +1....
          Slimmer nodes (shrinkable / collapsible): Sequence / Print-String / Compare.
          Plus Int / Float / String conversion nodes should be as tiny as reroute nodes.

having to extract a property with a separate BP node
          UDK Kismet used to offer the ability to show / hide extra 'PINS' on nodes.
          That meant few intermediate steps were needed to get at more properties.
          You could even reorder PINS, which obviously leads to less crossed wires.
          But I doubt Epic will go back based on similar past suggestions / threads!

No right-angle links
          To get right-angled wires, set BP editor splines to zero + add reroute node...
          Last edited by UnrealEnterprise; 02-22-2021, 07:54 PM.
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          What are the BEST Unreal Tutorials / Docs? There are none tbh... Here's why
          Instead its better to just take projects apart (see the free 'creators' listed here)

Comment

Originally posted by VictorLerp View Post
            max99x hard_code Thanks for the reports, a fix has been submitted and should go out in the next 4.26 hotfix: https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-108973
            Thanks, Victor!

Comment

Is there any roadmap for future version of the engine (UE4)? There its lots of experimental features that are unfinished (or abandoned?) and it's very annoying and frustrating to learn something like that, use it and wait and wait and wait if its safe to use it at all... (from 4.24 I would rather not even move with the project to a new version... (and i dont have hardware for next generation engine...))

For me, i would like to ask if the following things will be ever completed and when:
              Animation Modifiers
              CCDIK
              Layered Materials
              Scripting the Editor using Python

Will Chaos be completed and polished for releasing project in UE4 or is it just testing for UE5? (i am using PhysX and DCC plugin from NVidia - manual cut in 3DsMax with procutter)
              Last edited by KanedaCz; 02-23-2021, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Goal:

Switch camera view when actor enters the trigger volume using level sequencer as the camera.
                Works fine in 4.25.4 and below.

-----------------------
                Issue with 4.26.1
                -----------------------

Follow this to recreate the bug:

- Create a new default Map
                - Drag 2 Triggers Volume
                - Create an Actor BP (see picture).

When there is only one Actor BP, the camera Sequence player switch using the level sequencer (node set playback position)

now add another Actor BP (with a different level sequence), the Camera Sequence Player won't switch to one another when going from one trigger volume to another.

now delete one of them (Actor BP) and it works

Other test with more than one Actor BP:

If you replace the node "Set playback position" by the node "Play" it works fine, camera sequence player switch

I believe that the node "set playback position" is bugged.

PS: I tried all different settings with node "set playback position" (frame, time, jump, play and scrub) same issue if more than one level sequence is involved.

Thank you.

Last edited by starling-music; 02-24-2021, 10:42 AM.

Comment

I upgraded to 4.26.1 and now DLSS crashes the engine every time.

Comment

Originally posted by decksounds13 View Post
                    I upgraded to 4.26.1 and now DLSS crashes the engine every time.
                    Try deleting intermediate folder if you haven't done so..

Comment

Grooms don't cast shadows on a wall unless they are on screen. Any way around this?
                      I want a shadow silhouette but can't do it.

Comment

Just took a look at what I was trying to convey in my last post and wasn't impressed. Here's somewhat better version that doesn't look as sloppy and highlights the difference a little bit more.

The point is, the BP node system could definitely use an UI overhaul even in the most basic sense, let alone adding features like additional connectors or options for custom font and nodes sizes. A major version upgrade like UE5 looks like the obvious choice to do just that.

Comment

Such a beautiful

Comment

Quick question,
                            When I'm using split screen with ocean, the ocean post proces crashes the editor (and package) with an error.
                            Code:
                            Assertion failed: !bIsLoadActionInvalid [File:D:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/RenderCore/Private/RenderGraphValidation.cpp] [Line: 421] Pass 'SeparateTranslucencyParallel' attempted to bind texture 'SeparateTranslucencyColor' as a render target with the 'Load' action specified, but the texture has not been produced yet. The render target must use either 'Clear' or 'NoAction' action instead.
                            Anyone knows a quick fix?

Comment

• VictorLerp commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Have you submitted a bug report?

I read a lot of threads on performance drop in 4.26 , so i thought i'd give it a shot . Lost 30 FPS right off the bat . Maybe Epic should focus on performance in future updates as it can be critical.

Comment

Hi all, I'm starting my first Game with Unreal Engine. It will be a bicyle game based on vehicleMovement.

Do you advice me to do it with PhysX or to start directly with Chaos ?

I don't know when ChaosVehiculeMovement will be finally released so it's hard to know with what to start.

For now, I started with PhysX and it looks to begins to work nice but Rider always show me warnings about PhysX beeing Depreciated.

PS: I do it in the mains part in C++.

Thanks all

Comment

Working...
                              X