This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

water plugin and world comp
    I've yet to see anyone successfully use landmass or the water system with world composition.

I asked about this in the last livestream and was told essentially that they didn't know if it would work, and that world composition is on its way out and will be replaced by their new world partitioning system in UE5.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkiras View Post
      I've yet to see anyone successfully use landmass or the water system with world composition.

I asked about this in the last livestream and was told essentially that they didn't know if it would work, and that world composition is on its way out and will be replaced by their new world partitioning system in UE5.
      Thanks. Unfortunate but makes sense I suppose if it's being phased out. Guess I'll put it on the back burner for now and maybe keep messing with it a little bit when I have time.

Comment

A lot of sense, world comp hasn't been updated in ages so lets HOPE the new system is better and does work with those systems, wouldn't make any sense that they would not.
        Solo but Seismic - feel free to apply
        https://neighborlee1.wixsite.com/theheartseed

Comment

Originally posted by DreamGoblin View Post
          Been having some trouble with the water plugin and world comp. Does anyone know why this would be happening:

Specifically, I'm referring to the way the water material seems to just stop rendering at around 153K units in both X and Y (so the image above is showing the top right of its maximum bounds). Not sure if it's something with the way I have my world comp/landscape setup (I've had this same problem in multiple attempts at creating a world comp setup) or if it's just a limitation of the water plugin?

It still deforms the landscape as expected. It's just the water material itself that is getting cut-off. In case it makes a difference, this instance of world comp was setup by importing an externally made tiled landscape. Also, I'm up to date with 4.26 via Github (although this has been happening since it first went live).

While I'm sort of on the subject, I'm also having a problem with the water body landscape weightmap setting. In this example I have just a basic landscape material setup with two layers (Color1/green and Color2/red). I can get it to work just fine with a landscape spline, but it doesn't seem to show up with any of the water bodies (a river in this case). Am I just not understanding what the "Layer Weightmap Settings" does on a water body? I assume like the landscape spline it just looks for the landscape layer you provide it, but that isn't happening here.
          I've figured these out. Quoting myself in case anyone else runs into these and was wondering what to do.

For the water material not extending past a certain distance, you need to go to WaterMeshActor and then in the details panel find the "Mesh" tab. There are two things you can then change to extend the material. These are "Tile Size" and "Extent in Tiles". I'm not sure what (if any) performance considerations this presents, or if it is better to increase one or the other, but this at least solves the basic issue I was having. Here's a screenshot:

For the water bodies affecting the landscape layers, you need to go to the WaterBrushManager and then navigate to the Settings tab in the details panel. There you need to make sure "Affect Weightmap" is checked and also add the specific layers you want to use in "Affected Weightmap Layers".

Last edited by DreamGoblin; 11-23-2020, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Yes playing with tile make sense.. it is like vertices count of the meshes. The more the tiles, the more refined the water meshes.

Comment

After more work trying to get materials sorted out in Preview 7, it really seems like any nodes that deal in world space will crash the engine if displacement is being use. World space coordinates definitely seem to be the problem.

Comment

Any idea when the IOS unreal remote 2 will get an update to work with 4.26? It appears to currently crash instantly on the Ipad after a no signal error whenever it tries to connect.
                Portfolio

Comment

I got a crash after I enabled the GPU Lightmass plugin. Did anyone meet this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
                    "D3D12RHI" is the Unreal devil, it's everywhere crashing to everyone since a few versions ago
                    "VulkanRHI" is the same!

Comment

I think I have the cache working. Used 4.26p5(source). Try this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZkrc748nVs . What do you think?

Comment

VictorLerp I can confirm that gpu lightmass crashes the new Preview 7. I can no longer open test /experimental projects that currently use this plugin therefore making them inaccessible. Is this something that can be fixed and preview 7 can be redownladed again or we will have to wait till preview 8 is released? Any chance preview 6 can be made available in the epic launcher so those of us doing test/experimental projects with the new gpu lightmass for test purposes can continue doing so till this is fixed?
                        Thanks..
                        Last edited by Melvixz; 11-25-2020, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkiras View Post

VictorLerp where can one sign up to receive news like this instead of having to randomly bump into it in an unrelated thread?

Comment

• VictorLerp commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You'll find these news in our release notes - We sometimes talk about "up and coming" things on our livestreams, and you can also keep an eye on our GitHub commits for information, but keep in mind that things can change until it's in our release notes!

Originally posted by decksounds13 View Post
                          I spent the past two days trying to get the virtual heightfield to work but I think Virtual Texturing is broken, based on all of the tutorials. It seems that without the Material Domain option of "Virtual Texture", it's impossible to write to the SVT properly. Then again, maybe something changed in the workflow. I wish I knew... I guess I'll leave that alone until I find out if it's broken or hear what the new procedure looks like.
                          I'm encountering this as well. I hope this is on the radar.

Comment

So..wanted some juicy volumetric clouds in my existing 4.25.3 (rtx / dynamic light) project that worked fine without much issue (accept normal/occasional d3d gpu hangs).. copied this project and converted in-place to a 4.26 project and noticed immediately the huge hike in memory usage (and therefore increased d3d hangs/UE crashes).

Where as the 4.25 project consumed between 8-10 GB of my rtx 2080ti running exactly the same project + volumetric clouds resulted in between 15-17GB usage (a practical doubling) making viewport sluggish and not very usable.

Other noticeable issue is on using movie render queue to render even a single still the preview render window takes much longer to appear, run and give a result.

Has anyone else experienced similar performance issues?

Thanks
                            ​​​​

------
                            gpu hang report
                            >>

LoginId:6f81a3e740c91ad91149378ca2eeef38
                            EpicAccountId:1b668ad5e1ed4a1eb62b9df63e851d7c

Fatal error: [File:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/D3D12RHI/Private/D3D12Util.cpp] [Line: 671] pResource->Map(Subresource, pReadRange, reinterpret_cast<void**>(&pData)) failed at D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12RHIPrivate.h:1168 with error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED with Reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

UE4Editor_D3D12RHI
                            UE4Editor_D3D12RHI
                            UE4Editor_D3D12RHI
                            UE4Editor_RenderCore
                            UE4Editor_RenderCore
                            UE4Editor
                            UE4Editor
                            UE4Editor
                            UE4Editor_Core
                            UE4Editor_Core
                            UE4Editor_RenderCore
                            UE4Editor_RenderCore
                            UE4Editor_Core
                            UE4Editor_Core
                            kernel32
                            ntdll
                            Last edited by DanH71; 11-27-2020, 07:51 PM.

Comment

So now the roadmap for 4.26 clearly states Chaos as Beta and Experimental along with many other APIs not production ready as well: https://portal.productboard.com/epic...4-26-fall-2020

Does this mean that PhysX will be enabled by default with 4.26 too then? And Chaos will be production ready for either 4.27 or 5.0 ?

Comment

Working...
                              X