Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

motorsep Thankfully I did, I've been working on this game for 3+ years and learnt that lesson early on. The only problem is, even with a healthy backup, without being able to download specific minor versions I can't do anything with the backup. It will just automatically download 4.25.4...

Comment

Originally posted by Hardy Games View Post
      motorsep Thankfully I did, I've been working on this game for 3+ years and learnt that lesson early on. The only problem is, even with a healthy backup, without being able to download specific minor versions I can't do anything with the backup. It will just automatically download 4.25.4...
      Build whatever version you need from source.

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post

Build whatever version you need from source.
        Could you elaborate on this? How do you build specific versions?

Comment

Could you elaborate on this? How do you build specific versions?
          You would have to download from Github and build from source the specific minor you wanted.

Just spotted this update today myself... not clicked the button yet, thankfully I'm a backup freak.. so I maybe ok and also run from source currently.
          Cecil B

Comment

What else can I do to resolve this?
            Try using a clean GameEngine.ini config?
            Try delete saved and intermediate folder, if C++ rebuild. But make a backup inbefore, the temp folder contain backup files too.
            Last edited by unit23; 10-22-2020, 06:19 PM.
            [LEGENDS of EPICA Now on Steam] [Twitter] - [Discord]

Comment

Originally posted by unit23 View Post
              Try using a clean GameEngine.ini config?
              Try delete saved and intermediate folder, if C++ rebuild. But make a backup inbefore, the temp folder contain backup files too.
              Strange.. I copied a new DefaultEngine.ini (I assume you meant this file as I can not find a "GameEngine.ini" file as you mentioned) over to the project, deleted the Intermediate/Saved folder. Rebuilt in VS. Now the project starts up and opens to a blank map... If I try to open a Level (any Level) it immediately crashes with the same error log info as before..

Comment

Originally posted by PerfsPC View Post

You would have to download from Github and build from source the specific minor you wanted.

Just spotted this update today myself... not clicked the button yet, thankfully I'm a backup freak.. so I maybe ok and also run from source currently.
                Thanks! I'll try this.

Comment

Strange.. I copied a new DefaultEngine.ini (I assume you meant this file as I can not find a "GameEngine.ini" file as you mentioned) over to the project, deleted the Intermediate/Saved folder. Rebuilt in VS. Now the project starts up and opens to a blank map... If I try to open a Level (any Level) it immediately crashes with the same error log info as before..
                  You could try next to disable Event Driven Loader, perhaps the error gives better clues.
                  There is a user reporting issues with physics, perhaps your project crashes because of a similar issue. The empty map loads, because the clean DefaultEngine.ini no longer contains your configurated default maps.

Comment

You could try next to disable Event Driven Loader, perhaps the error gives better clues.
                    There is a user reporting issues with physics, perhaps your project crashes because of a similar issue. The empty map loads, because the clean DefaultEngine.ini no longer contains your configurated default maps.
                    No luck with disabling Event Driven Loader either sadly. Still get the error code
                    Code:
                    Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000038
                    Tried to search for others with the same error but not finding anything relevant or related to 4.25.4.

Comment

No luck with disabling Event Driven Loader either sadly. Still get the error code
                      Code:
                      Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000038
                      Tried to search for others with the same error but not finding anything relevant or related to 4.25.4.
                      If not done already install debug symbols.
                      If each map loading crashes, perhaps the error logs will point to a faulty asset.
                      Also try to load the editor in VS, debug and then open a map and look at the output.

Comment

If each map loading crashes, perhaps the error logs will point to a faulty asset.
                        Also try to load the editor in VS, debug and then open a map and look at the output.
                        I didn't know you could do this. Very interesting!

So I did as you said and I seem to get a read access violation in WidgetBlueprint.cpp
                        Screenshot

Any ideas on how to go about fixing this?

Comment

I didn't know you could do this. Very interesting!

So I did as you said and I seem to get a read access violation in WidgetBlueprint.cpp
                          Screenshot

Any ideas on how to go about fixing this?
                          So the problem here is, it's a new issue. It is unclear if this will be perhaps fixed, or perhaps something inside your project is the problem.

Can you load maps from VS? If so, can you run the Launch option and look at the output?

Because all your maps crash, and there is a hint to BP's, perhaps something like your UI widget is corrupt. Thus, move it out of the project folder into a temp folder, see what happens. If the issue persist, try something similar, it has to be something loaded by each map, and potentially a BP. Again, this is a lot of guesswork here.

The smart option here is to keep using 4.25.3, see if there is another hotfix, or if it works with 4.26.
                          Last edited by unit23; 10-23-2020, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Some questions about using debug symbols when use Engine from Source:

1. When using UE4 compiled from source, where do I have to set VS Solution Configuration to "debug *" to get debug symbols? Do I have to open the "UE4.sln" from Editor-Source Folder and set Configuration to "* debug" and then compile or do I have to open my projectname.sln in my project folder and set "debug *" there?

2. What VS Solution Configuration do I have have debug symbols for game and editor? (I guess the one called "DebugGame Editor"or to "Debug")?

3. I am a bit confused about having my "UE4.sln" in source files and my "projectname.sln" on my project files. Of course I know what they are for in general. But what happens when I would set "UE4.sln" to "Debug Editor" and after that set my "projectname.sln" to "Development Editor" and compile again. What is used then when both are set different?

4. When I build/cook my game in project-settings package-settings I can set target (called build configuration here) again (Debug, DebugGame, Development, Shipping...). I guess when I set target "Development" or "Shipping" here - then what I set before in my projectfiles *.sln and/or UE4.sln is ignored and on build/cook its build without Debug symbols as "Development" or "Shipping" right? (So, it will compiles everything a second time?)

I tried to google/search forums for it but did not get the answers explained in detail. Thanks a lot!
                            Last edited by TheFlow3k; 10-24-2020, 10:07 PM.
                            Next Game: Regain Earth: First Strike - A co-op multiplayer Action Shooter Game. Website TwitterYouTube RedditSteam

Comment

Originally posted by TheFlow3k View Post
                              Some questions about using debug symbols when use Engine from Source:

1. When using UE4 compiled from source, where do I have to set VS Solution Configuration to "debug *" to get debug symbols? Do I have to open the "UE4.sln" from Editor-Source Folder and set Configuration to "* debug" and then compile or do I have to open my projectname.sln in my project folder and set "debug *" there?
                              You don't need ever care about UE4.sln since you have your own project's solution. This "MyProject.sln" already includes the entire engine. Think about UE4.sln as "few hundreds/thousands more" game modules

If you compiled it locally, you'll get PDB files in any build configuration. Just check Binaries folder of your project. If you see PDB files there, you have debug symbols. This kind of file you'd download via the launcher when choosing "debugging symbols" option.

The difference is what these symbols included + what engine adds.
                              In Debug, you'd able to read all the values, but it's the execution of the program is noticeably slower. I'm sometimes tempted to switch into Debug, but most of the time Development configuration it's enough for me - reading most of the symbols and simply analyzing the code.

In Development engine by default adds logging, checks - we can easily debug things.
                              Shipping is stripped away from any debug functions and data possible - to avoid slowing down the game and crashes casued by some checks.

Comment

Thanks Moth Doctor, as I understand the way to go is, compile UE4.sln every time in "Development Editor" Mode. Then Compile Project sln in "Debug" Mode for full debug symbols. Or compile it in "Development" Mode for some (mostly enough) debug symbols. Right?
                                And by understanding that now, I assume when switching project-settings package-settings to other settings and build/cook with these other settings like "shipping", that they are totally independent from project sln settings and simply compile again and take the binaries compiled again on build/cook.
                                Thanks a lot!
                                Last edited by TheFlow3k; 10-25-2020, 10:53 AM.
                                Next Game: Regain Earth: First Strike - A co-op multiplayer Action Shooter Game. Website TwitterYouTube RedditSteam

Comment

Working...
                                X