Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got burned by "UnrealBuildTool : error : Expecting to find a type to be declared in a module rules named 'SubstanceCore' in UE4Rules, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null. This type must derive from the 'ModuleRules' type defined by Unreal Build Tool." too.

Do they even TEST migrating unreal projects from one sub-version to other at all before releasing it in wild? Much competent, so reliability.

Originally posted by Freznosis View Post
    I wonder how a bug like this slipped through, it seems to affect every plugin that is downloaded/installed from outside, ex: MegaScans plugin, Substance plugin, anything from Marketplace. Pretty widespread.
    I bet they tested it only on freshly created projects from that menu where you can select various project types. Why waste time on real-life projects with other dependencies like plugins? It is just hot-fix release, nothing can go wrong, noo siiir.

Comment

I reinstalled OS today and I wanted to install UE4 again and I was happy to see hot-fix 2, but now, I met this error. I want to install 25.1 but I can't. Maybe, they need to add something for choose to install previous sub version (hot-fix), not only previous version.

Comment

Originally posted by Mader_Levap View Post
        I got burned by "UnrealBuildTool : error : Expecting to find a type to be declared in a module rules named 'SubstanceCore' in UE4Rules, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null. This type must derive from the 'ModuleRules' type defined by Unreal Build Tool." too.

Do they even TEST migrating unreal projects from one sub-version to other at all before releasing it in wild? Much competent, so reliability.

I bet they tested it only on freshly created projects from that menu where you can select various project types. Why waste time on real-life projects with other dependencies like plugins? It is just hot-fix release, nothing can go wrong, noo siiir.
        I fully expect stuff like this to happen more and more since they announced ue5. Working on the past is never a great career move in these companies. I don't doubt that the ue4 team is spread thin now. Same thing has happened at unity with all their massive promises.

Comment

Originally posted by [Epic] Nick.Bullard View Post
          We'll post link to ASAP to unblock everyone until we can get a proper hotfix build out.
          VictorLerp

We need the ability to get back to 4.25.1 in the meantime. The Epic Games Launcher only allows you to download the latest dot release. Is there a URL where I can manually download the 4.25.1 installer?
          Last edited by Doug_Richardson; 07-24-2020, 01:45 PM.

Comment

UPDATE

A fix for the blocking issue related to opening projects that have Marketplace Plugins enabled in 4.25.2 can be found here:

EDIT: This is no longer required - 4.25.3 is now available on the launcher.
            Last edited by VictorLerp; 07-28-2020, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VictorLerp View Post
              UPDATE

A fix for the blocking issue related to opening projects that have Marketplace Plugins enabled in 4.25.2 can be found here:

Windows

Mac: link will be updated here as soon as it's available

Download the fix for your platform, double click it to install, and follow the prompts.

We'll provide another update once this hotfix is available on the launcher. We appreciate your patience as we work through this.
              After installing, same issue persist

Comment

Originally posted by Monster Tooth View Post

After installing, same issue persist
                If you rename the Engine/Intermediate/Build/BuildRules to something else (eg. BuildRules2), does that make it start working? I'm wondering if it's just failing to rebuild the DLL for you because the file list has already been updated.

Could you also check that the QFE installer updated your Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe file (ie. the timestamp is recent)?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Marsh View Post

If you rename the Engine/Intermediate/Build/BuildRules to something else (eg. BuildRules2), does that make it start working? I'm wondering if it's just failing to rebuild the DLL for you because the file list has already been updated.

Could you also check that the QFE installer updated your Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe file (ie. the timestamp is recent)?
                  Renaming buildRules gives the following error (:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.25\Engine\Intermediate\Build\BuildRules\UE4Rules.dll' does not exist.)
                  Running QFE and attempting to compile after gives same error.

Timestamp is yesterday... Don't know if that is good or bad, but QFE appears to have no effect on timestamp

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Marsh View Post

I'm having the same issue as Monster Tooth and tried the suggestions with no luck. Timestamp is yesterday.

Comment

Monster Tooth PorgsOfWar Thanks for the updates - we have another fix inbound, stay tuned!

Comment

Ben Marsh I tried the QFE and it didn't work for me.

After running the QFE I still get this error:

LogInit: Warning: Incompatible or missing module: ShooterGame
                        LogInit: Warning: Incompatible or missing module: ShooterGameLoadingScreen
                        LogInit: Warning: Incompatible or missing module: BotgEditor
                        Running C:/UnrealEngine/UE_4.25/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe Development Win64 -Project="E:/botg/game/botg.uproject" -TargetType=Editor -Progress -NoEngineChanges -NoHotReloadFromIDE
                        Creating makefile for ShooterGameEditor (no existing makefile)
                        ERROR: Expecting to find a type to be declared in a module rules named 'MegascansPlugin' in UE4Rules, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null. This type must derive from the 'ModuleRules' type defined by Unreal Build Tool.

I tried renaming BuildRules to BuildRules2 but then I get this error:

LogInit: Warning: Incompatible or missing module: ShooterGame
                        LogInit: Warning: Incompatible or missing module: ShooterGameLoadingScreen
                        LogInit: Warning: Incompatible or missing module: BotgEditor
                        Running C:/UnrealEngine/UE_4.25/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe Development Win64 -Project="E:/botg/game/botg.uproject" -TargetType=Editor -Progress -NoEngineChanges -NoHotReloadFromIDE
                        ERROR: Precompiled rules assembly 'C:\UnrealEngine\UE_4.25\Engine\Intermediate\Build\BuildRules\UE4Rules.dll' does not exist.
                        LogInit: Warning: Still incompatible or missing module: ShooterGame
                        LogInit: Warning: Still incompatible or missing module: ShooterGameLoadingScreen
                        LogInit: Warning: Still incompatible or missing module: BotgEditor
                        LogCore: Engine exit requested (reason: EngineExit() was called)

My UnrealBuildTool.exe timestamp does not appear to have been updated (it shows 10:15 this morning, and I just ran the QFE update about 30 minutes ago which is 13:26 PDT).

I also ran the QFE tool again while Windows System Internals Process Monitor was running, and noticed that it didn't appear to write to any files. I'm not sure how the QFE program is supposed to work, but after pressing start it went again quickly and didn't appear to do anything. Very suspiciously, Procmon shows that WerFault.exe is writing out a crash dump to C:\Users\doug\AppData\Local\CrashDumps\QFE-4.25-MarketplacePlugins-CL-13908680-PF-13941873-Job-10493736-Signed.exe.10732.dmp.

Would you like me to send this crash dump to you?

Comment

UPDATE

Download

Instructions:

1. In Windows Explorer or Finder(Mac) navigate to where your Engine is installed
                          2. Go to .../UE_4.25/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/
                          4. Copy the 3 UnrealBuildTool files from this zip and paste them into this folder
                          5. When prompted choose Replace the files in the destination

We'll provide another update once the hotfix is available on the launcher. We appreciate your patience as we work through this.
                          The previous update post... has been updated!

Thanks for providing us more information throughout the day - let us know if you have any more issues.

Comment

The previous update post... has been updated!

Thanks for providing us more information throughout the day - let us know if you have any more issues.
                            This fix works. Thanks.

This problem would have been less urgent if it was possible to downgrade to 4.25.1. I think Epic should allow developers to choose the precise version of the editor they are using to minimize the impact of mistakes like this in future.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_Richardson View Post

This fix works. Thanks.

This problem would have been less urgent if it was possible to downgrade to 4.25.1. I think Epic should allow developers to choose the precise version of the editor they are using to minimize the impact of mistakes like this in future.
                              It is actually understandable that minor versions are one-way only and obligatory. These are meant to be hotfixes, so they should be 100% compatible and there should be no reason to go back.

Comment

Originally posted by Mader_Levap View Post

It is actually understandable that minor versions are one-way only and obligatory. These are meant to be hotfixes, so they should be 100% compatible and there should be no reason to go back.
                                The hot fix broke the build, which gave a pretty good reason for wanting to go back.

You have to update the version in the launcher to try the new version, and once you do, there is no way to go back. Being able to go back to an earlier version is the exact same reason we use version control. It doesn't matter what the intention of a hotfix is, it is a change, and changes break things. It's the entire point of configuration management.

Comment

Working...
                                X