This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post
    I don't see how it is a game over if you can still use previous releases.
    This would only really be viable if Epic followed some kind of LTS plan, which they don't.

There are quite a few massive bugs in 4.22-4.24. The only way to fix these will be to upgrade to 4.26+ (that's if they don't just break even more things in 4.26).

A good 30% of people are also still on Windows 7 and I would wager a big chunk of developers (at least from my experience) are still working on it - Windows 10 is an absolute mess sometimes. If there isn't a good reason to drop it ('DX12 doesn't work' isn't - other platforms supported by Unreal don't have DX12 either) then why drop it?
    Last edited by Blake J Robinson; 06-22-2020, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake J Robinson View Post

A good 30% of people are also still on Windows 7 and I would wager a big chunk of developers (at least from my experience) are still working on it
      Where is this coming from? In my experience every dev is on Windows 10 and all gamers I know are on Windows 10. Hell, even my dad threw in a towel and updated to Windows 10.

Comment

This would only really be viable if Epic followed some kind of LTS plan, which they don't.

There are quite a few massive bugs in 4.22-4.24. The only way to fix these will be to upgrade to 4.26+ (that's if they don't just break even more things in 4.26).

A good 30% of people are also still on Windows 7 and I would wager a big chunk of developers (at least from my experience) are still working on it - Windows 10 is an absolute mess sometimes. If there isn't a good reason to drop it ('DX12 doesn't work' isn't - other platforms supported by Unreal don't have DX12 either) then why drop it?
        The LTS plan I would agree on game engines that does not provide the full source code, but Epic does provide, so in this case I agree that you would require an expert user to follow up the issues being fixed and implementing them in an older source code, not every team has this person. There is not much to do really... my life currently is looking on how to implement solutions using UE4.17 and make sure they will work on later releases, ofc I would love LTS option and this would mean I won't be stuck on an almost 3 year old release. We have plans here to shift from 4.17 to 4.25 or 4.26 (the one which fits better in terms of feature set and against bugs). I do believe the last release for UE4 before UE5 will have a LTS plan offer.

Just something about DX12, since Epic mentioned 4.25 is having raytracing as production ready feature and it relies on Dx12 (for Windows 10 at least), it means DX12 is working atm enough to be also said production ready.
        Last edited by NilsonLima; 06-22-2020, 02:18 PM.
        Nilson Lima
        Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
        Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/FUwTvzr

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
        supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post

Where is this coming from? In my experience every dev is on Windows 10 and all gamers I know are on Windows 10. Hell, even my dad threw in a towel and updated to Windows 10.
          It's nonsense, of course.

That said, it doesn't look like anyone intentionally dropped support for windows 7. They just accidentally used an API that is not available on windows 7 while changing something unrelated in the DX12 RHI, and it is easy to fix and restore support for windows 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Whammy View Post

Dropping WIn7 creates problems for our marketplace items. We won't be able to test beyond 4.24. As for Win7 being unsupported by Microsoft, that's not a big deal. Win7 has been very reliable for us and it's familiar and stable. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The lack of DX12 is not really a killer. Android many of the other platforms listed as being supported by UE4 don't have DX12 either.
            You can do a search on web and find Win10 for US$ 15.00 (no physical box and for OEM), there are plenty of websites selling them, you just need to verify if the site is trustworthy do make a purchase and you only need one machine upgraded for a final test, which is not ideal I know, but it is the cheapest route.
            Nilson Lima

Comment

VictorLerp Could you please verify with dev team about issues people are reporting with Windows 7 and the support dropping happened or not? (Check the last 20 posts) At this time, the thread is going to the speculation side of things, which is not good, and an official position would be welcome
              Nilson Lima

Comment

Where is this coming from?
                Have a search for OS user market share. You'll find mixed % depending on context (Steam for example shows 7% still on Windows 7, whereas general usage finds 25-35%), so it all depends on your target audience. My experience seems to differ from yours dev-wise. Most Win 7 game devs I know are small single-man indie devs, though.

Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post
                The LTS plan I would agree on game engines that does not provide the full source code, but Epic does provide, so in this case I agree that you would require an expert user to follow up the issues being fixed and implementing them in an older source code, not every team has this person.
                The whole point of using another game engine is supposed to be to remove the hassle of having to integrate changelists and fixes, recompile engines and editors, etc.

I would understand your point if maybe
                a) Compiling the source was nice and simple (it's not),
                b) Integrating a required fix was nice and simple (it's not) and
                c) It was just obscure weird bugs that exist in UE4,

but it's not. There are huge, glaring, critical bugs existing in basic core systems (AI, Texture rendering, Landscapes, Importing, etc.)

Comment

Windows 7 is just way too old and if one still insist on supporting users running windows 7, then probably stick to ue4 version that still support it. Using latest game engine on old operating system is a bit too much, I would say.

Comment

Maybe off topic but with all that talk going on about buggy new versions and some people here speculating about a 4.26 version, has it occurred to any of you that Epic may be already phasing out UE 4 mentally? I mean they are working on a (supposedly) major rewrite with version 5. Presumably every new version they release so far required all of Epic's UE staff to create the new version. Now they are working on version 5 which will probably require their whole staff as well. Do you really think they will put significant developer resource in a 4.26 version that would become obsolete half a year after it's release?
                    I work with the presumption that 4.25 is the last release for version 4 and reading this post here about all the new bugs, I am glad I am still with 4.24. It seems to work for what I need and I hope I don't run into any of it's bugs. But maybe you should all consider this and adjust your development accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallenstein View Post
                      Maybe off topic but with all that talk going on about buggy new versions and some people here speculating about a 4.26 version, has it occurred to any of you that Epic may be already phasing out UE 4 mentally?
                      I feel that you are onto something here...

If true, it's sad. 4.25.x is buggy as hell. 4.26 was suppose to be stabilizing release (with DXR Lightmass !), which might not happen (if it happens by some miracle, I don't have hope for its stability ).

Comment

some people here speculating about a 4.26 version,
                        I was going by a few bug reports that have UE4.26 as their fix target in the bug database, rather than speculating.

I'm not 100% sure but I also believe this thread has some info that states UE5 isn't shipping till latter half of 2021, but not sure how much speculation/fact that is.

I am glad I am still with 4.24. It seems to work for what I need and I hope I don't run into any of it's bugs
                        Luckily I'm in the same boat and also sticking on 4.24.3 for now. The only real major annoyance I run into is the importer having some quirky bugs (collision box matrices and ignoring-texture-search-options). I'm also a bit worried about what happens once I start implementing landscape stuff (there's a bug to do with physics materials, though not sure how much it will affect me).
                        Last edited by Blake J Robinson; 06-22-2020, 01:42 PM.

Comment

I was going by a few bug reports that have UE4.26 as their fix target in the bug database, rather than speculating.
                          Check out fix:4.25 and fix:4.25.1 in the issue tracker and you'll see unresolved issues. A ton of VR related issues get pushed over from release to release.. I wouldn't fold issue tracker as an indicator of 4.26 release.

Comment

NilsonLima Thanks for the mention. Win 7 support has not been dropped and the team is looking into it.

Comment

Originally posted by VictorLerp View Post
                              NilsonLima Thanks for the mention. Win 7 support has not been dropped and the team is looking into it.
                              Great! Its really helpful to be able to test on a wide range of rigs, especially when Win10 forced-updates are suspected of borking a machine.

Win7 still has around 25% share iirc (or ~400m boxes versus ~800m for Win10). So believe what you want, but Win7 is still alive. Its worth remembering how we got here too... Where would Win10 adoption be if Microsoft hadn't used malware-like tactics to force sneaky upgrades! They're still getting sued over this!
                              Last edited by EntrpriseCustomr; 06-24-2020, 05:40 PM.

Comment

We switched to 4.25 last week. It seems that all of our UMG in-world stuff (using widget components) is a lot brighter. The default gray UMG buttons are now white - you can't read the white text on them, Anyone know what changed with that?

Also - our Android packages are rejected from the store upload for not being signed. Is the APK signing changed somehow? I'm able to sign manually using 'apksigner.bat' in the Android tools, but UE4 is supposed to do it with the info in the Project Settings ... ?

Comment

Working...
                                X