Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Engine 4.25 released!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by LNaej View Post
    You still need to build from source in this version to use Chaos.
    In the last stream about 4.25, one of the devs said that as Chaos changes everything related to physics under the hood, they won't enable it in the launcher version before it's mature enough. He seemed to say that it would not happen soon.
    That was kinda disappointing. I was looking thru the plugins and have enabled the features in a 4.25 project. But cant find details or any tutorials on the net. Was hoping to learn the chaos (including chaos clothing) since i am going to plow thru on physic mechanics. Looks like that is going to be on hold till unreal have something concrete.

    Comment


      Honestly, from what I understand from Epic communication, Chaos is not something we as devs should consider production ready, and therefore should consider at all in our designs. I suppose right now the only good reason as an indy dev to try/use Chaos is preparing the future (with no clear calendar) or prototyping for fun.

      I suppose it's a bit different for licensees with access to UDN and enough devs to tackle Chaos' use in its current state.
      Last edited by LNaej; 05-13-2020, 06:54 AM.

      Comment


        Originally posted by LNaej View Post
        Honestly, from what I understand from Epic communication, Chaos is not something we as devs should consider production ready, and therefore should consider at all in our designs. I suppose right now the only good reason as an indy dev to try/use Chaos is preparing the future (with no clear calendar) or prototyping for fun.

        I suppose it's a bit different for licensees with access to UDN and enough devs to tackle Chaos' use in its current state.
        Well the entire constraint portion of the physics interface is currently unimplemented in 4.25, so yeah, its not a 1:1 replacement at all currently.


        Consider supporting me on patreon

        My Open source tools and plugins
        Advanced Sessions Plugin
        VR Expansion Plugin

        Comment


          So with the announcement of Unreal Engine 5, does this mean that 4.25 will be the last Unreal Engine 4 version? Or might be expect a 4.26 later this year?

          Comment


            Originally posted by JoeWintergreen View Post
            Hey folks, just a heads up: Steam Audio is broken in 4.25. Following the instructions in the docs, it doesn't work at all in packaged - sounds that are set up to use Steam Audio aren't spatialised at all, just full volume, no reverb, etc. Works fine in editor/PIE.
            Adding this seemed to fix it for me, I saw a warning in the logs about a failed soft object reference to their soundmix class or something:

            Code:
            +DirectoriesToAlwaysCook=(Path="/SteamAudio")
            Is there a better way the plugin to automatically do something like this? Can it hint to the packager somehow through the plugin itself?

            Comment


              Originally posted by J.C. Smith View Post
              So with the announcement of Unreal Engine 5, does this mean that 4.25 will be the last Unreal Engine 4 version? Or might be expect a 4.26 later this year?
              UE5 won't ship until the second half of 2021. So I think UE4 development will go on at least up to 4.28 or 4.30

              Comment


                Originally posted by DarkS474 View Post

                UE5 won't ship until the second half of 2021. So I think UE4 development will go on at least up to 4.28 or 4.30
                Agreed. I would expect that Chaos will be production ready prior to UE5’s release. There are still a number of features in beta and experimental status. So I imagine we will get at least 2 more releases before UE4 is done. They will likely build up UE4 to its most complete version.

                Although, as work shifts to UE5, it’s possible time between UE4 releases will slow and there will probably be a long drought at the end, similar to what you see when WoW releases a new expansion.

                And that’s all conjecture. Epic has a way of surprising us in a good way!

                Comment


                  Been getting a lot of crashes in 4.25, which I think is related to Primary Data Asset. Been making child blueprints, inheritance and data asset properties inside data assets.
                  Tends to happen when adding new properties, changing property types or setting new values.
                  But also seemingly randomly when working with unrelated classes.
                  The logs does not provide any information.
                  Sometimes crash, sometimes permanent (20 minutes or more) freezes.
                  Still trying to repro it, but wonder if someone else is experiencing the same.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by ste1nar View Post
                    Been getting a lot of crashes in 4.25, which I think is related to Primary Data Asset. Been making child blueprints, inheritance and data asset properties inside data assets.
                    Tends to happen when adding new properties, changing property types or setting new values.
                    But also seemingly randomly when working with unrelated classes.
                    The logs does not provide any information.
                    Sometimes crash, sometimes permanent (20 minutes or more) freezes.
                    Still trying to repro it, but wonder if someone else is experiencing the same.
                    I tried primary data assets a few engine versions ago and some of them wouldn't replicate over network. Couldn't reliably reproduce the bug, it only happened when they got complicated, had structs within structs, etc. Decided it wasn't a stable technology and stayed away since then. Looks like it's still unstable.
                    MMO Starter Kit
                    Dialogue Plugin
                    Voxel Plugin
                    Character Customization: Female
                    Character Customization: Male

                    Comment


                      Hey, I just noticed that my github name is spelled incorrectly in the contributors list. It should be jessicafalk, not jessicafolk

                      Comment


                        Groom looks really well so far , but UE4.25 crashes when I insert a physics capsule while groom is parented.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Fabian Troxler View Post

                          Have the same issue, reported a bug as i did not found one yet.
                          Also seeing lightmaps broken if virtual texture lightmaps is enabled. Anyone have a link to the bug/issue so I can vote/chime in? A search in issues didn't bring it up.

                          Comment


                            Hi there .
                            I cant Build Lighting anymore ,it says Navigation Build complete and thats it .the scene looks the same after Building ,
                            do i miss something in UE4. 4.25
                            Attached Files

                            Comment


                              I tried compiling UE4 4.25 on Visual Studio Community 2017 and I got these errors:
                              Code:
                              Error aborting build on error (2) UE4 C:\SourceCode\UE4\UE4_4.25.0-release\Engine\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\dbsbuild 1
                              Error D8049 cannot execute 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.16.27023\bin\HostX64\x64\c1xx.dll': command line is too long to fit in debug record UE4 C:\SourceCode\UE4\UE4_4.25.0-release\Engine\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\cl 1
                              Error MSB3073 The command "..\..\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat -Target="UE4Editor Win64 Development" -Target="ShaderCompileWorker Win64 Development -Quiet" -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild" exited with code 6. UE4 C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets 44
                              Did anybody else got these errors too? Is there a way to fix the "command line is too long to fit in debug record" error?

                              Comment


                                Hi guys! Text3D doesn't work on Android, can't package apk.
                                (bug submission form doesn't work, so I post here)
                                To reproduce bug: enable Text3D plugin, place Text3D actor anywhere, and try to package apk
                                Last edited by Apollo1444; 05-15-2020, 07:50 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X