This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theProfessor View Post
    Has anyone been able to get 4.24.1 to compile?
    Yes, I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitwaker View Post
      I'm reading about a big change in the way paths are handled (bLegacyPublicIncludePaths) with Unreal 4.24. In general I'm experiencing a huge problem when I try to compile a project that compiles without issues with Unreal 4.23.

I'm getting errors that are related to base classes of the engine...
      Things like:

Code:
      Error C2027 use of undefined type 'USoundCue' MyGame E:\MyGameUE_4.24\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Public\UObject\UObjectGlobals.h 1332

Error C2672 'StaticClass': no matching overloaded function found MyGame E:\MyGame\UE_4.24\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Public\UObject\UObjectGlobals.h 1332

Error C2783 'UClass *StaticClass(void)': could not deduce template argument for 'ClassType' MyGame E:\UnrealEngine\UE_4.24\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Public\UObject\UObjectGlobals.h 1332
      With visual studio 2017 I can't compile because of an issue with the UObjectGlobals header... that can't find an engine class (USoundCue). Is there anything I can do to fix this issue? or should I start over with a new project and include my files again one by one (I'm gonna puke in case :P)
      I had to set bLegacyPublicIncludePaths back to the original value to get the source to compile.

I have since updated all my includes to specify the path so I can just use the V2 build settings.

I am using Public/Private directory structure with matching sub directories under each if that matters.

Comment

Enabling "Render Custom Depth Pass", "Render in Depth Pass" and Disabling "Render In Main Pass" produces the incorrect result

instead of being invisible the mesh is pure black.

was ok in 4.23, is broken in 4.24 and 4.25 main

https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-86156

I see the target fix is 4.25
        no chance of getting this in an increment?, it's broken my project and i only noticed it after updating post 4.24.1
        Last edited by Lareon; 01-07-2020, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sukovf View Post
          I've downloaded 4.24 from Git (Release branch) and ran into a problem. Setup.bat says 'Failed to download http://cdn.unrealengine.com/dependen...2355ab72172280 blah blah (PathTooLongException)'. I believe the issue isn't on my side as I've cloned the repo right into the root of my disk partition. 4.23 sitting right next to it is fine. Please heeelp ...
          This an old issue, maybe you were just luck with your previous installation. try installing in a shorter path, like c:\myue

Comment

*** UPDATE - The lines in the view have been resolved. In our Post Process Volume, we changed the Bloom method to Standard from Convolution. The lines immediately went away... ***

We are using Unreal Engine as a visualization engine and save out video files from Level Sequences. My latest project was started with 4.24, and I noticed some strange lines or bands flickering in the viewport. These also are showing up in the saved animations (image attached). Raytracing is enabled for reflections, but not AO or GI. Click image for larger version  Name:	UE424_Banding.jpg Views:	165 Size:	30.0 KB ID:	1705535

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti with the latest driver installed.
            Last edited by Chris.Medeck; 01-09-2020, 05:33 PM.

Comment

ok so i have another issue

if i constrain my aspect ratio in a camera AND have a post process material in a post process volume, the image in the viewport is split, part of the image is the correct viewport that updates as normal.
              but there is a slice of the screen (size changes depending on aspect ratio crop) that is a frozen image from the viewport

line traces are acting as if this part of the viewport is correct but the image displayed is wrong

this is in the editor and the build

if you resize the window the glitched image amount increase and decreases.

i can't seem to replicate it in a brand new project so not 100% what's causing it

ok i can replicate it.

create a new scene
              add a camera in and constrain the aspect ratio
              add a post process volume
              add a post process material to it set to After Tonemapping
              play in editor or build etc
              adjust the size of the viewport or change the size of the aspect ratio

(standard camera and cine camera)

with the post process material off, there is no error

i must say this is by far the buggiest version of unreal i've used, had many problems

and if you turn the post processing off...

Last edited by Lareon; 01-13-2020, 05:31 AM.

Comment

After some works with UE4 nvidia drivers crashed (tried new, older). Never before that happened. May possible its from accumulated memory. You should do something with this. I have 16GB RAM. Need more for project like this?
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxZtEkbqH4Q

Comment

I'm unable to assign paintable terrain layers in 4.24.1, my editor locks up and can't resolve to crash and give a crash log, though the CrashEditorReport process kicks off and also locks up in task manager. Happens in my main project as well as a blank project in 4.24.1. Anyone else having this issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Edwardes View Post
                    Hi,

I upgraded directly from 4.22.3 (I would have upgraded to 4.23.x but it contained a bug that broke my project) - but I think I have found a regression added in either 4.23.x or 4.24.x with regards to FArchive handling.

The below code worked fine in 4.22.3 to serialise and restore a UObject from a stream of bytes:

Code:
                    struct FEstSaveGameArchive : public FObjectAndNameAsStringProxyArchive
                    {
                    FEstSaveGameArchive(FArchive& InInnerArchive)
                    : FObjectAndNameAsStringProxyArchive(InInnerArchive, true)
                    {
                    ArIsSaveGame = true;
                    ArNoDelta = true;
                    }
                    };

void UEstSaveStatics::RestoreLowLevel(UObject* Object, TArray<uint8> Bytes)
                    {
                    FMemoryReader MemoryReader(Bytes, true);
                    FEstSaveGameArchive Ar(MemoryReader);
                    Object->Serialize(Ar);
                    }

void UEstSaveStatics::SerializeLowLevel(UObject* Object, TArray<uint8>& InBytes)
                    {
                    FMemoryWriter MemoryWriter(InBytes, true);
                    FEstSaveGameArchive Ar(MemoryWriter);
                    Object->Serialize(Ar);
                    }
                    Code on GitHub: https://github.com/alanedwardes/Estr....cpp#L450-L462

This did not work after upgrading to 4.24.0 - specifically the RestoreLowLevel method did not restore all SaveGame UPROPERTY members as expected in Shipping/DebugGame builds (it instead zeroed them - so floats set to zero, bools false etc). It did not happen in the editor builds, the members were restored as expected.

I found the below workaround to make this work in 4.24.0:

Code:
                    void UEstSaveStatics::RestoreLowLevel(UObject* Object, TArray<uint8> Bytes)
                    {
                    FMemoryReader MemoryReader(Bytes, true);
                    FObjectAndNameAsStringProxyArchive Ar(MemoryReader, true);
                    Object->Serialize(Ar);
                    }

void UEstSaveStatics::SerializeLowLevel(UObject* Object, TArray<uint8>& InBytes)
                    {
                    FMemoryWriter MemoryWriter(InBytes, true);
                    FObjectAndNameAsStringProxyArchive Ar(MemoryWriter, true);
                    Ar.ArIsSaveGame = true;
                    Ar.ArNoDelta = true;
                    Object->Serialize(Ar);
                    }
                    Code on GitHub: https://github.com/alanedwardes/Estr....cpp#L440-L454

The RestoreLowLevel method doesn't work if you set ArIsSaveGame = true or ArNoDelta = true, but only in Shipping/DebugGame builds, in editor builds it restores the UPROPERTY members maked with SaveGame as expected.

Regardless of whether I should be setting those booleans when restoring or not, the difference in behaviour between shipping / editor builds is a bit worrying!

Alan

I can confirm this bug in UE 4.24 . It does not properly serialize CPF_SaveGame variables in packaged builds! Everything works fine in the editor.
                    This behavior did not occur in previous UE4 versions.

Many thanks for the workaround! But it would be nice to get an official fix for this, so it does work as it did in prior versions.
                    Last edited by HEGI; 01-13-2020, 10:14 AM.
                    Michael Hegemann - https://twitter.com/HegiDev

Marketplace Content
                    Easy Multi Save
                    Mobile Touch Navigation
                    Retro 3D Toolkit

Comment

We went from 4.22 to 4.23 fine, than when trying to run the game at Standalone at 4.24 the game crash. We are waiting the fix to update.

Comment

No, this is unacceptable crash every time UE4 have little move. Gone to Cryengine or go back to 4.23.

Comment

I have to report an strange behavior I've been experiencing since I updated to this version.
                          It's probably the same thing that happens to the previous user EA_Unreal_77
                          As soon as I rotate the camera, the engine crashes.
                          I ported the project from 4.20.1
                          And that's the crash I'm getting. I reported it a few times from the crash window adding some info. (The crash message is something about an "array index out of bounds" for rotating the camera in the editor ?: "Assertion failed: (Index >= 0) & (Index < ArrayNum) [File: D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Containers/Array.h] [Line: 614] Array index out of bounds: 24 from an array of size 24" The index is always a random one)
                          Funny thing is that the crash doesn't happen if I get rid of the BuildData asset, causing the lighting info to reset and ask me to rebuild the lights. But as soon as I rebuild the lights, crash happens again.
                          Tried creating a new level and pasting the assets in there with the same result.
                          Tried saving the level as a new one and building the lights in there with... the same result.
                          Only thing that worked was a new level, with nothing added. There I could build the lights and no crash xD.

And today the thing got worse (how? I don't know). The moment it ends building the lights it crashes, I can't even get to move the camera.

EDIT: I forgot to add that it has to do with the lighting in the viewport because changing it to unlit avoid the crash.
                          Last edited by Meguido; 01-15-2020, 09:27 AM.
                          "sic parvis magna"
                          @Meguido

Comment

Epic I think you should forget about 4.24.1 use 4.23 with Chaos. I create simulation software(for education, business, etc) when I do an upgrade that is really messed up I go back to the prior version and start over. My 2 cents.
                            Last edited by theProfessor; 01-15-2020, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by theProfessor View Post
                              Epic I think you should forget about 4.24.1 use 4.23 with Chaos. I create simulation software(for education, business, etc) when I do an upgrade that is really messed up I go back to the prior version and start over. My 2 cents.
                              It also depends on what you need. For instance to me the last useful improvement Epic made was encoding in 4.19. I am currently working with 4.22 because I need the physical landscape materials which are broken, not to mention all the other big problems here.
                              Epic's focus I believe is on esoteric renderfeatures, the kind where you need a before and after picture to see the difference and when you're honest you don't see a difference in most cases anyway.
                              I know this sounds frustrated and it does so because I am. Currently I seem to be doing fine and I don't intend to upgrade anymore unless I see that these bugs are fixed. Besides, once you release your game you have to stick with the current version anyway because you can't change the engine version every time you release a little update to your game.

That's my view. Currently I'm fine, but only because I learned the hard way i the past not to jump on every new release because despite the "beta test" all new releases are buggy

Comment

Originally posted by Wallenstein View Post

It also depends on what you need. For instance to me the last useful improvement Epic made was encoding in 4.19. I am currently working with 4.22 because I need the physical landscape materials which are broken, not to mention all the other big problems here.
                                Epic's focus I believe is on esoteric renderfeatures, the kind where you need a before and after picture to see the difference and when you're honest you don't see a difference in most cases anyway.
                                I know this sounds frustrated and it does so because I am. Currently I seem to be doing fine and I don't intend to upgrade anymore unless I see that these bugs are fixed. Besides, once you release your game you have to stick with the current version anyway because you can't change the engine version every time you release a little update to your game.

That's my view. Currently I'm fine, but only because I learned the hard way i the past not to jump on every new release because despite the "beta test" all new releases are buggy
                                agreed... i'm mostly in cinematics and do lots of landscapes and anim manipulations... until those things are stable i just build my models and wait in 4.23... i think there is a transition going on now and soon (4.25-4.30) i will have the increment i can settle on... the dwnld sizes are doubling as well as the crossed wires... if i move to belize the internet might be 365kbps, just can't see dwnlding 10gb for something that doesn't work for me... control rig, landscape, fur/hair, and something is all wonky with blender28 and skeletal mesh physics for clothing... but i'm fine here, plenty of work to do...

till then...

Comment

Working...
                                X