No announcement yet.

Unreal Engine 4.23 Released!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, so in 4.22.3 my game compiles and runs great with 120 fps at about 13ms and can sit for hours without any change, today i updated it to 4.23.1 and now im getting about 3fps YES "3" FPS and the ms keeps going up and up and up till the game crashes without errors. last recorded value i seen before the crash was 4390ms at 0.1fps... Did 4.23.1 introduce some kind of memory leak to the engine or what? I can't find anything in my logs causing these issues. this is really BAD... ALSO LIGHTING CAN'T BUILD IF YOU ARE USING LANDSCAPE PROXIES
    Matt Walton: Programmer and owner for WireLiteSoft Games.

Comment

Originally posted by Solenism View Post
      There is some kind of major performance regression related to fairly large landscapes (4k x 4k in my case), particularly if they are in sublevels. I do not have all the steps to reproduce it yet, but at least in my own level, the delay between pressing "Play in Editor" and being able to play the level went up from about 0.3s in 4.22 to about 5s in 4.23. Also, if I move my landscape to the main level, the delay goes down to 1s, which is much more managable, but still significantly more than in 4.22.

If I create a blank project and create a large landscape and move it to a sublevel, the overall delays are lower, but it appears that they still have increased significantly compared to 4.22.

Has anyone else observed something like this, or knows of a fix or workaround?
      I'm having a similar issue to yours. but now i can't build lighting for my maps unless i turn off world composition and manually build each level. it used to work in 4.22.... now my ms goes up and up and up till the game crashes. i guess they broke Tiled landscapes.....

Comment

There is some kind of major performance regression related to fairly large landscapes (4k x 4k in my case), particularly if they are in sublevels. I do not have all the steps to reproduce it yet, but at least in my own level, the delay between pressing "Play in Editor" and being able to play the level went up from about 0.3s in 4.22 to about 5s in 4.23. Also, if I move my landscape to the main level, the delay goes down to 1s, which is much more managable, but still significantly more than in 4.22.

If I create a blank project and create a large landscape and move it to a sublevel, the overall delays are lower, but it appears that they still have increased significantly compared to 4.22.

Has anyone else observed something like this, or knows of a fix or workaround?
        I've reported something very similar and discovered that it happens when tessellation is senabled on a landscape, but maybe that's not always the case. Here is the issue tracker:
        https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-80781

Comment

Originally posted by Slavq View Post

I've reported something very similar and discovered that it happens when tessellation is senabled on a landscape, but maybe that's not always the case. Here is the issue tracker:
          https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-80781
          my material don't have tessellation and im having a huge performance drop using tiled landscapes. its causing some sort of memory leak that keeps making my ms and frames to drop the longer i spend in game. they broke something with tiled landscapes...

After building lighting 1 map at a time shadows are ruined and now my terrain is black... NICE

Last edited by frostic; 11-12-2019, 04:43 PM.

Comment

There is some kind of major performance regression related to fairly large landscapes (4k x 4k in my case), particularly if they are in sublevels. I do not have all the steps to reproduce it yet, but at least in my own level, the delay between pressing "Play in Editor" and being able to play the level went up from about 0.3s in 4.22 to about 5s in 4.23. Also, if I move my landscape to the main level, the delay goes down to 1s
            hey that is a nice trick. fixed my lag issues i was having. and i can now build lighting. im guessing that is what they broke.

Comment

Why is he counting down?

Comment

• New: Made the WithValidation tag for server RPCs optional.
                Thank you for that! It was absolutely unnecessary, and tedious.
                Honestly I cant make up an example case where this is good.
                The only thing it could do is disconnect if something is wrong with the parameter which is almost never what I want. You shouldn't be sending sensitive information over network (like updating hp from client to server, or other silly things), so I dont really think its good for cheat prevention.
                In case its made from an error, non normalized value or something like that, I'd like to handle it instead of forcefully disconnect on sight.
                Also, even UE engineers always just fill it with "return true".
                Was a really silly to make it mandatory on the first place.

Comment

So is this a recognized problem now? Because my game uses a huge tiled landscape and as long as I don't hear that problem is solved, I'm not going to leave 4.22 behind

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoist View Post
                    After installing the 4.23.1 update my packaged game is now locked at 60 fps (was around 170-180 before update) I have tried playing around with smooth frame rate settings as well as 'set frame rate limit' in blueprint. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas would be gratefully received ...
                    Any idea now? Is this a Bug?

Comment

After installing the 4.23.1 update, the packaged game( win64 ) now locked at 60 fps. t.MaxFPS not working. Any help?

Comment

but now it doesn't tick in the editor like the Placed Editor Utility Base was. In-editor ticking is very important for my project, how can I restore this functionality?
                        what about setting "realtime" in editor viewport options?

Comment

Originally posted by Curs0 View Post

what about setting "realtime" in editor viewport options?
                          Viewport was realtime, the BP just doesn't tick anymore after 4.23 - but there is a workaround for that, now we can use timers to achieve ticking behavior inside Editor Utility Actor BPs. Set Timer By Function Name, with looping enabled, with name of an event that has Call in Editor checkbox on.

Comment

Viewport was realtime, the BP just doesn't tick anymore after 4.23 - but there is a workaround for that, now we can use timers to achieve ticking behavior inside Editor Utility Actor BPs. Set Timer By Function Name, with looping enabled, with name of an event that has Call in Editor checkbox on.
                            sorry I was talking about widgets, they don't tick unless you flag "realtime"

Comment

Originally posted by jfharp125 View Post
                              Got a Direct3D error, something about vertex mapping, when clicking "Create Geometry Collection" with Chaos using first shooter template and ue4 cube. Tried updating graphics driver, no worky. Still on on Window 7 pro with dual 980 ti cards. Not sure how to fix.

4.21.2 works without the error, but no Chaos either.
                              Still getting this error in 4.23.1 source

To be specific: I followed this guide: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...iew/index.html

to where it says select mesh and click create geometry collection button...then error message below. I used the ue cube for the mesh. I also had to place
                              bCompileChaos = true; in my GameNameEditor.Target.cs which was not mentioned in the guide above to get the uproject to build the 1st time. This was a c++ created project. I also enabled the plugins as stated in the guide. Beyond this, I don't know where to look.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by jfharp125; 11-27-2019, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Edwardes View Post
                                Thanks for the tip! I spent a while trying to reproduce this based on the assumption that it is an issue around levels being included in sub levels in addition to the persistent level. I found that with my project I can reproduce it if I have two child levels, which each include each other - if I remove the circular dependency from the sub levels, the assertion problem goes away.

However, when trying to make a clean project to reproduce this I wasn't able to under the same conditions - I was trying to do that to submit the bug for Epic to fix. I am hoping someone else has managed that - I will stick with 4.22.3 for now.
                                I just hit the same !bCleanedUpWorld build error. I was able to resolve it thanks to this discussion. For anyone else wrestling with it, in my case there wasn't a circular dependency, it was more like what RafaLL92 described. My level structure (ignoring non-problematic levels) was as follows:
                                • Base level (persistent)
                                  • Level A
                                  • Level B
                                  • Level C
                                    • Level A
                                    • Level B
                                Loading Level C in the editor to remove Level A and B from its "Levels" tab was all it took. Thanks for figuring that out!
                                Last edited by RabbitHoleAvert; 12-02-2019, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X