Unreal Engine 4.23 Released!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by REC View Post

That's interesting, I'm doing r.setres and other console commands via BP and just checked the packaged build, its working there at least.
    In addition to "r.SetRes" problem above, I have just realized that calling "stat FPS" console command in C++ displays nothing on screen in packaged game. (Before this update, it used to display FPS as expected.) I really wonder what's going on with console commands.

Originally posted by Bigfoist View Post

I'm wondering if some other mysterious setting has been changed by default in the engine
    +1

Comment

You say its specifically happening in a packaged build, I wonder if code/settings aren't getting updated somehow. If you haven't already, I would try doing a full rebuild, maybe toggle for distribution, have code always build, try changing to a different build configuration. Maybe something isn't getting propagated out into the packaged build.
      I've tried shipping and development builds and always do a full rebuild. Very annoying at the moment as I am trying to performance test and optimise my demo and this kind of hampers things a little!

Btw just wanted to add that it is only the packaged build where this is happening, getting 120 fps in the editor...

Comment

anyone remember the download size, i have a 15gb a month cap... well, maybe soon i will find the smooth and lean iteration that i can settle in on, lately these have seemed like inbetween iterations, like from 0-10 and 10-16 etc... my stuff is pretty simple but i need certain WIP's... (sigh) wish i could code... well anyways, who brought the coffee and doughnuts... have a good one

Comment

Originally posted by Slavq View Post
          The 4.23.1 hotfix corrupts the DeleteAsset and DeleteLoadedAsset functions. Now they freeze the editor for a couple of minutes before finally deleting assets.
          Before this hotfix, it worked properly, deleting assets quickly.
          Is it a known issue? Was there any change in 4.23.1 hotfix that migh have caused this...?
          I'll try to make a repro project and report it.

Update: It happens when trying to delete assets created by the Merge Actors tool (meshes and materials). I'll investigate it further... Before the hotfix, it worked correctly.
          Update 2: It seems to happen only when LoadAsset is used first, and the loaded asset is kept in a variable! Deleting assets without it works correctly.
          I can't reproduce this in a new project though, so there must be something interfering with my current project.
          Update 3: I've fixed it in my project by not storing the LoadAsset output reference in a variable before deleting assets. I haven't managed to reproduce this in a new project though, so it must have been something specific to my setup.
          From your updates, I believe the DeleteAsset and DeleteLoadedAsset functions might be waiting for all pointers to those assets to be released. And perhaps that was taking a long time because of the Garbage Collector, since it had to delete your references as well. I'm just guessing, but I think it would make sense with Unreal C++ being a managed memory system.
          Freelancer Game Dev Generalist and Unreal Consultant | Portfolio
          Unreal products: Dynamic Picture Frames, Neo Kinect

Comment

Originally posted by RVillani View Post

From your updates, I believe the DeleteAsset and DeleteLoadedAsset functions might be waiting for all pointers to those assets to be released. And perhaps that was taking a long time because of the Garbage Collector, since it had to delete your references as well. I'm just guessing, but I think it would make sense with Unreal C++ being a managed memory system.
            That makes sense, yes, it was probably waiting for GC during the freeze. Quite weird that it started happening only after the hotfix and that I can't reproduce that in a new project though... Well, just don't keep loaded asset references when trying to delete them, I guess that's the lesson here Thanks for the info.

Comment

You say its specifically happening in a packaged build, I wonder if code/settings aren't getting updated somehow. If you haven't already, I would try doing a full rebuild, maybe toggle for distribution, have code always build, try changing to a different build configuration. Maybe something isn't getting propagated out into the packaged build.

I've tried shipping and development builds and always do a full rebuild. Very annoying at the moment as I am trying to performance test and optimise my demo and this kind of hampers things a little!

Btw just wanted to add that it is only the packaged build where this is happening, getting 120 fps in the editor...

Have managed to fix the issue now by changing the game to DX12. Not sure how or why this has worked...

Comment

Originally posted by Slavq View Post

That makes sense, yes, it was probably waiting for GC during the freeze. Quite weird that it started happening only after the hotfix and that I can't reproduce that in a new project though... Well, just don't keep loaded asset references when trying to delete them, I guess that's the lesson here Thanks for the info.
                Just in case it is not done yet, delete Intermediate folder and also just to make sure, ue4 cache folder..

Comment

Haha some of these bugs.....

To those with the DXGI_ERROR_INVALLID_CALL crash,
                  UE-81742, https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-81742
                  now affects source and binary versions, and fix is next hotfix.
                  Please jump in and vote for that to be fixed. That seems quite critical to me
                  It is the same bug as far as i can tell, i just a crash when setting fullscreen, and when alt tabbing. in dx11.

I guess the waiting game is on again!
                  Outer Planet Studios
                  http://outerplanet.webflow.io/

Comment

Originally posted by GRADgr View Post
                    Selecting Default API to DX12 works fine, but that's not a solution.
                    Have managed to fix the issue now by changing the game to DX12.
                    I confirm that. No more crash in packaged game, thanks to DirectX 12.

However, after switching to DirectX 12,
                    • "r.SetRes" console command insists on working in Window mode, refuses to work properly in Fullscreen mode (which might be related to Fullscreen problem that gozu has reported) in packaged game.
                    • "Stat FPS" displays nothing on screen in packaged game.
                    • And, I'm getting the following warnings in the Editor:
                    Code:
                    LogD3D12RHI: Warning: Descriptor cache ran out of sub allocated descriptor blocks! Moving to Context local View heap strategy
                    LogD3D12RHI: Warning: This should only happen in the Editor where it doesn't matter as much. If it happens in game you should increase the device global heap size!
                    LogD3D12RHI: Warning: OnlineHeap RollOver Detected. Increase the heap size to prevent creation of additional heaps
                    I have 11GB VRAM, 64GB RAM, and the virtual memory page file size is 96GB. So, what can I do more to fulfill Unreal's deepest desires?
                    Last edited by matahari; 10-23-2019, 08:34 AM.

Comment

So my scene crashes when i run it in stand alone game mode. It never happened before the 4.23.1 update.

Assertion failed: [File:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/Windows/D3D11RHI/Private/D3D11Util.cpp] [Line: 249] Result failed at D:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/Windows/D3D11RHI/Private/D3D11Viewport.cpp:368 with error DXGI_ERROR_INVALID_CALL

UE4Editor_Core
                      UE4Editor_Core
                      UE4Editor_Core
                      UE4Editor_Core
                      UE4Editor_D3D11RHI
                      UE4Editor_D3D11RHI
                      UE4Editor_D3D11RHI
                      UE4Editor_RHI
                      UE4Editor_RHI
                      UE4Editor_RHI
                      UE4Editor_RHI
                      UE4Editor_SlateRHIRenderer
                      UE4Editor_SlateRHIRenderer
                      UE4Editor_Core
                      UE4Editor_Core
                      UE4Editor_RenderCore
                      UE4Editor_RenderCore
                      UE4Editor_Core
                      UE4Editor_Core
                      kernel32
                      ntdll

what could be causing this?

Comment

Originally posted by matahari View Post

I confirm that. No more crash in packaged game, thanks to DirectX 12.

However, after switching to DirectX 12,
                        • "r.SetRes" console command insists on working in Window mode, refuses to work properly in Fullscreen mode (which might be related to Fullscreen problem that gozu has reported) in packaged game.
                        • "Stat FPS" displays nothing on screen in packaged game.
                        • And, I'm getting the following warnings in the Editor:
                        Code:
                        LogD3D12RHI: Warning: Descriptor cache ran out of sub allocated descriptor blocks! Moving to Context local View heap strategy
                        LogD3D12RHI: Warning: This should only happen in the Editor where it doesn't matter as much. If it happens in game you should increase the device global heap size!
                        LogD3D12RHI: Warning: OnlineHeap RollOver Detected. Increase the heap size to prevent creation of additional heaps
                        I have 11GB VRAM, 64GB RAM, and the virtual memory page file size is 96GB. So, what can I do more to fulfill Unreal's deepest desires?
                        Are you perhaps using the SteamVR plugin? Because that plugin is currently causing a bunch of resolution problems, and I hope they fix it ASAP. Because it affects all developers who are working on VR.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper. View Post
                          Are you perhaps using the SteamVR plugin? Because that plugin is currently causing a bunch of resolution problems, and I hope they fix it ASAP. Because it affects all developers who are working on VR.
                          Thank you, Sleeper. I'm aware of SteamVR plugin issues. I've already disabled that, in addition to other VR plugins that I don't need.

And, I can confirm that resolution problem is not something specific to my project. Calling "r.SetRes 1920x1080f" console command in PlayerController within a blank C++ template 4.23.1 project causes crash in DX11, and forced window mode in DX12.

Comment

Bloom - Convolution still not properly scaling with light intensity like in previous versions, minor issue but would be nice to have it fixed on a future release ...

Comment

4.23.1 succesfully compiled always crashes at 79% on launch.
                              Last edited by lazysnake61; 10-27-2019, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lazysnake61 View Post
                                4.23.1 succesfully compiled always crashes at 79% on launch.
                                Take a look into the Crash log, browsing to the end of the log usually shows you the parts where it crashed, offers pointers, also check your editor output log for any red and or yellow warnings.
                                [LEGENDS of EPICA][Twitter][FB][YT][Vimeo]

Comment

Working...
                                X