This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Justo View Post
    I think this tech is truly exciting, and as an artist I'd love to invest my free time into learning more about this. It is surprising (and a tad disappointing) to see the lack of material out there, or contact from Epic people in regards to this tech (or at least that I'm aware of). As far as I know, this was and still is being promoted as a relatively important component of UE4, much like Niagara and new animation systems.

Isn't it a bit ridiculous that several engine versions later, it is still a cumbersome process to make this destruction tech even work? Are there any people in Twitter making Chaos experiments, or anywhere else where there is more info relating to this besides the initial GDC and Twitch/YT livestream talks? Any plans for the future to integrate this into the main UE versions downloadable through the Epic Launcher, or any simple environment using this technology?

Does anyone know of any external forums maybe (much like Polycount or BlenderArtists do for their own community) where the Chaos Engine is a popular topic? People that are working with this and showing their results?

theProfessor where did you upload those rar pieces of the compiled engine? Those YT links don't show any links either.
    see my post above. its an easy process. just takes time waiting on dependencies to download and for the project to build. this tech is in beta. it will work in the launcher version once it is OUT of beta. few more months i presume. i gave a spoon fed step by step guide above. read it, do it. love it
    Matt Walton: Programmer and owner for WireLiteSoft Games.

Comment

Originally posted by frostic View Post

see my post above. its an easy process. just takes time waiting on dependencies to download and for the project to build. this tech is in beta. it will work in the launcher version once it is OUT of beta. few more months i presume. i gave a spoon fed step by step guide above. read it, do it. love it
      I tried to put one of the files on my GD(10.5gb) and GD timed out. If you have some ware to put them let me know. It is about 50gb. 5 files. This will take about 8hrs. I get 10 up.

Comment

Originally posted by theProfessor View Post

I tried to put one of the files on my GD(10.5gb) and GD timed out. If you have some ware to put them let me know. It is about 50gb. 5 files. This will take about 8hrs. I get 10 up.
        try mediafire. its like $5 a month for 1TB space unlimited downloading etc.

Comment

Thank you for writing that guide frostic! I wish there were more users like you sharing Chaos information and experiments. I will try this for sure.
          Artstation | 3D Artist | Krakow

Comment

Originally posted by Justo View Post
            Thank you for writing that guide frostic! I wish there were more users like you sharing Chaos information and experiments. I will try this for sure.
            you are welcome. and if you got any questions about getting it to work send me a private message and i'll invite you to my discord. I try to help when i can but I'm a noob myself.
            we all need help sometimes. ppl here help me so i try to do the same and help when i can.

Comment

Update: A restart and a new build later it worked, my bad.

Hello, perhaps anyone can offer a bit of assistance, I couldn't find an answer via search.
              I have the Chaos enabled and it works fine for the most part, but I seem to be missing functions mentioned in the "Chaos Fundamentals" YT video that was released earlier.
              All of the "Field Construction" scripts are missing, the video is almost half a year old now, so I guess things have changed significantly, if that's the case is there an updated guide to the field systems?
              Last edited by Marsatas; 06-28-2020, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Hello,
                I'm struggling with this as well. Could someone please post their VS2019 setup/components?
                Raed Abbas
                Multiplayer Game System (MGS) | Nice Inventory System | Nice Lobby System
                Dynamic Shared Camera

IMDB
                FACEBOOK

Comment

Originally posted by Raed Abbas View Post
                  Hello,
                  I'm struggling with this as well. Could someone please post their VS2019 setup/components?
                  DONT USE VS 2019.... USE VS 2017 it will compile. I tried 2019 and it won't compile for some odd reason. it gives hundreds of errors and thousands of warnings in 2019. i don't think its fully supported yet.

Comment

volvicTM odd it says you sent me a PM on the forums and it don't show a message.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_33.png
Views:	264
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	1781955
                    please try and message me here i don't know whats going on. all my inbox are now empty messages. i see they changed how we get notifications. i think they messed up recieving messages. they show up blank

Comment

DONT USE VS 2019.... USE VS 2017 it will compile. I tried 2019 and it won't compile for some odd reason. it gives hundreds of errors and thousands of warnings in 2019. i don't think its fully supported yet.
                      The thing is I can't even generate files.
                      Attached Files
                      Raed Abbas
                      Dynamic Shared Camera

IMDB
                      FACEBOOK

Comment

did you get the source from the 4.25-plus repo?
                        you need to use VS 2017 not 2019. on page 32 use my guide. it works perfect. as long as you use visual studio 2017 not 2019.
                        Last edited by frostic; 06-29-2020, 01:27 AM.

Comment

you have to do setup.bat first. it will take an hour or 2 downloading the files. you cant generate files till that finishes.
                          in your image it shows that some dependencies was not downloaded yet this is what your error is etc.
                          Last edited by frostic; 06-28-2020, 10:41 PM.

Comment

did you get the source from the 4.25-plus repo?
                            you need to use VS 2017 not 2019. on page 32 use my guide. it works perfect. as long as you use visual studio 2017 not 2019.
                            I tried all sorts of 4.25 branches but no luck. I've been using 2019 so I'll uninstall it and give 2017 a go instead.

you have to do setup.bat first. it will take an hour or 2 downloading the files. you cant generate files till that finishes.
                            in your image it shows that some dependencies was not downloaded yet this is what your error is etc.
                            Yes, I did setup first. I've been using source code since version 4.8 I think. Every version comes with some new bugs and issues!
                            Last edited by Raed Abbas; 06-29-2020, 04:32 AM.
                            Raed Abbas
                            Dynamic Shared Camera

IMDB
                            FACEBOOK

Comment

Chaos enabled blank project compiles fine but gives error Assertion failed Cooked mesh != 0 in physxsupport.cpp. There is no other actors in scene,only default blank scene.

Comment

I was excited to try out chaos destruction. I played around with it for a bit and figured I'd share my experience. For reference I'm an experienced developer, but completely new to C++ / unreal / 3d game engines.

I compiled release and failed. Then compiled release with chaos demo in the folder (why would compiling the engine depend on the demo... not a good sign), then finally using frostic instruction (exactly except using VS2019). Thanks Frostic! Compiles fine, demo works, but not excellently. Caching example was "under construction."

Pieces slide about the ground. Lots of shaking / vibrating (particularly on some of the marble columns). Oddly adding a sleep field seemed to make the fidgeting worse.

Using in my own maps, I found creating geometry collections, fracturing, clustering, damage levels pretty easy and good looking. I'm getting excited. I quickly found that the performance hit for using chaos was very heavy. Dropped down to 1-2 FPS when I imported the example building. Quite possibly I'm making some sort of stupid mistake here, and I haven't done any optimizing, but this seems like it would take a ton of optimization and manual tuning to do something like the video demo -- and there was probably a lot of "cheating" in rigging the buildings for that exact sequence even if it wasn't prerendered.

It crashes the engine intermittently if you try to interact with the chaos enabled objects.

If using "separate process" preview or compiled package the chaos objects were invisible (on the demo map as well as on my own maps). Don't know why -- they were set to visible, and were visible in the "play in viewport" and other modes.
                                On one map Chaos objects fell through ground -- not sure why.

Haven't tried integrating niagra, or caching.
                                I'm leaning towards dropping it, but if anyone has had good success or fixes let me know.

Comment

Working...
                                X