Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to enable Chaos

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Hi, I failed to open Chaos Demo in 4.23, and now I tried to build with 4.25 but I'm afraid to fail cause I can't download source code even I've connected my account to epic.

    Can anybody download source code from github??? Why I can't do this? the page shows 404

    so Can you help me to download some additional files to open chaos? I'd like it to work on 4.23 version at least

    Comment


    Originally posted by inji8 View Post
    Hi, I failed to open Chaos Demo in 4.23, and now I tried to build with 4.25 but I'm afraid to fail cause I can't download source code even I've connected my account to epic.

    Can anybody download source code from github??? Why I can't do this? the page shows 404

    so Can you help me to download some additional files to open chaos? I'd like it to work on 4.23 version at least
    I have down loaded it and the compiled version 4.25 is great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lfSFlMEwbE&t=2s

    Comment


      Originally posted by ShrewdTactician View Post

      I'm getting the same thing. Using the release zip from the github site.
      I figured it out, you have to follow the guide in the OP, not in the documentation.



      Important points not present in the documentation page:

      1. Download the Chaos Destruction Demo from the Learn tab on the Epic Games Launcher.

      2. Download Unreal Engine from Github (source build is required until Chaos is out of Beta).

      3. After you setup your GitHub build (you don't need to compile it), move the ChaosDestructionDemo folder into the same folder that you unzipped the GitHub build to.

      4. Run GenerateProjectFiles.bat.

      5. Open the created UE4.sln.

      6. Build the ChaosDestructionDemo for Development Editor (should be the default Visual Studio configuration). This will build the whole engine, with Chaos, since it's already setup in the project's Target file.

      7. Once it's done, you can launch the sample from Visual Studio with F5 (or Ctrl+F5, which will launch without debugging attached).

      8. If you do have the launcher installed you should be able to open it by double-clicking the uproject.

      Comment


        I did manage to finally compile the engine from release branch and launch the project. But now it looks like the fields are completely ignored in all example maps. Can anyone confirm that fields are working for them? Additionally engine version for the project is 4.24 some why, even though I compiled 4.25 from release brunch

        Comment


          I've also been unable to get Chaos to work with 4.25. I also get the error message that Terrian get and have been unable to fix it. It feels like a rather small issue since it's something that's declared twice, but haven't been able to find where it's declared at all thus far...

          Has anyone tried with the 4.25 Plus branch to see if that works?

          Comment


            Originally posted by Dealman View Post
            I've also been unable to get Chaos to work with 4.25. I also get the error message that Terrian get and have been unable to fix it. It feels like a rather small issue since it's something that's declared twice, but haven't been able to find where it's declared at all thus far...

            Has anyone tried with the 4.25 Plus branch to see if that works?
            Watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lfSFlMEwbE Look at the comments. I did it with 4.25 source. In 4.25 Chaos is faster and easier to use.

            Comment


              Hello I have tried several time to build and use chaos on 4.25 release build but no matter what I try it always fails I have added both bCompileChaos = true; bUseChaos = true; and also change .shared to .unique and have tried to follow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lfSFlMEwbE comments to no avail but it still does not launch after building the engine I get the Shader type was loaded after engine init, use ELoadingPhase::PostConfigInit on your module to cause it to load earlier. error how do I fix it. Thanks
              Last edited by MadesTV; 05-20-2020, 04:20 AM.

              Comment


                Originally posted by MadesTV View Post
                Hello I have tried several time to build and use chaos on 4.25 release build but no matter what I try it always fails I have added both bCompileChaos = true; bUseChaos = true; and also change .shared to .unique and have tried to follow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lfSFlMEwbE comments to no avail but it still does not launch after building the engine I get the Shader type was loaded after engine init, use ELoadingPhase::PostConfigInit on your module to cause it to load earlier. error how do I fix it. Thanks
                I commented out that line and rebuilt (points it out when fails), works OK for me.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by MadesTV View Post
                  Hello I have tried several time to build and use chaos on 4.25 release build but no matter what I try it always fails I have added both bCompileChaos = true; bUseChaos = true; and also change .shared to .unique and have tried to follow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lfSFlMEwbE comments to no avail but it still does not launch after building the engine I get the Shader type was loaded after engine init, use ELoadingPhase::PostConfigInit on your module to cause it to load earlier. error how do I fix it. Thanks
                  Originally posted by flipuk View Post

                  I commented out that line and rebuilt (points it out when fails), works OK for me.
                  I not getting this error now im getting this NightmareEditor modifies the value of bCompileChaos. This is not allowed, as NightmareEditor has build products in common with UE4Editor. and I created it with the built engine

                  Comment


                    I haven't tried yet but I'm guessing maybe the ChaosDestructionDemo is necessary for it to compile properly? I tried to compile UE 4.25 but without the demo as I figured I just wanted to play around myself.

                    That's the only thing I can think of since, built UE4 from source before just fine so it's certainly something with Chaos. :/

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Dealman View Post
                      I haven't tried yet but I'm guessing maybe the ChaosDestructionDemo is necessary for it to compile properly? I tried to compile UE 4.25 but without the demo as I figured I just wanted to play around myself.

                      That's the only thing I can think of since, built UE4 from source before just fine so it's certainly something with Chaos. :/
                      Try this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lfSFlMEwbE&t=4s This is right at the end of the video. It is a compiled version 4.25.
                      Attached Files

                      Comment


                        Does someone know if it is possible to filter chunks based on their volume/weight, and delete them instead of spawning them when applying strain on a destructible mesh?

                        I don't want to have 100 small chunks spawning, rolling around and reducing performances when I can simply replace them with Niagara and only keep the large ones...
                        Last edited by Rainoxer; 05-22-2020, 08:28 AM.
                        Physics > Graphics

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Rainoxer View Post
                          Does someone know if it is possible to filter chunks based on their volume/weight, and delete them instead of spawning them when applying strain on a destructible mesh?

                          I don't want to have 100 small chunks spawning, rolling around and reducing performances when I can simply replace them with Niagara and only keep the large ones...
                          I'm still new to the system but would adjusting the "max cluster level" on the geometry cache get you what you want? I believe its intent is to help stop meshes from breaking to the smallest pieces that have been fractured/clustered. It isn't exactly the technique you are asking about but might provide the control you are after?

                          Comment


                            General perf question for everyone. There seems to be a perf gap since the 4.23 release of chaos, at least within the test levels. On the order of 10-12ms increase for the same content. And in some instances what had been running smoothly in 4.23 (the scripted destruction of the building in the "Geometry_Collections" level) can dip way down into the red, teens and single digits in 4.24 and 4.25.

                            I'm assuming this is true for everyone else and not something specific to my build(s). Is that correct?

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by POTWD View Post

                              I'm still new to the system but would adjusting the "max cluster level" on the geometry cache get you what you want? I believe its intent is to help stop meshes from breaking to the smallest pieces that have been fractured/clustered. It isn't exactly the technique you are asking about but might provide the control you are after?

                              No, this is not the control I am looking for.
                              I WANT to fracture very small pieces, however because of their small size they have cannot hurt players when hitting them, or provide cover. These small pieces are literally useless once removed from their original spot, which is why I want to delete them instantly.
                              You just have to spawn some dust FX to hide this trick.

                              This trick is described here : https://www.gdcvault.com/play/102330...Destruction-in
                              and here : https://www.gdcvault.com/play/102300...Destruction-in
                              Physics > Graphics

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X