This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VictorLerp View Post

"Normal" physics won't work once Chaos is enabled. Jack Oakman shows how to use the current implementation to simulate static meshes on the livestream: YouTube link with timestamp
    Hi Victor,
    Thank you for the info. So the trick is to add static mesh simulation component to every static mesh actor you want to simulate, right? Will that be the same when Chaos is released as replacement for Physix? Or it's a temporary workaround?

Will that make physics constraints actors work too?

Thank you.
    Modular Japanese HouseScaffold System
    Snap Plugin for EditorSnap Plugin for Games
    TwitterBlogYoutubeitch.io

Comment

scha Chaos will have full parity (and more) with existing Physics in UE. The simulation component is temporary, and physics constraints etc will work as you'd expect.
      Last edited by VictorLerp; 02-17-2020, 07:08 PM.

Comment

I followed the instructions and downloaded the chaos demo project and built it with a fresh copy of the release branch on github. However, none of the buttons in the startup map do anything and one button on the end crashes the editor. Anyone know what's going on?

Comment

Originally posted by jkinz3 View Post
          I followed the instructions and downloaded the chaos demo project and built it with a fresh copy of the release branch on github. However, none of the buttons in the startup map do anything and one button on the end crashes the editor. Anyone know what's going on?
          Yes, Chaos Demo is totally broken in 4.24.

Comment

We're aware of some issues with Chaos in 4.24. Thanks for being on the cutting-edge and helping us out during the beta!

Comment

Originally posted by Moth Doctor View Post

Yes, Chaos Demo is totally broken in 4.24.
              Not sure if it's because I built 4.24 with Chaos. But almost anything physics related from my 4.23 project doesn't work when I copied it over, not just chaos:
              • Cloth physics no longer simulating
              • Pawn Class Hoverbike using physics simulation
              • Character Class sliding on, or passing through meshes that have been scaled
              • Editor constantly crashing on Stop / Play
              • All chaos objects fracturing OnPlay and passing through collisions

Also Victor, I looked around but is there a planned date for when Chaos will be integrated in UE4 from the launcher?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by THEAETIK View Post

Not sure if it's because I built 4.24 with Chaos. But almost anything physics related from my 4.23 project doesn't work when I copied it over, not just chaos:
                • Cloth physics no longer simulating
                • Pawn Class Hoverbike using physics simulation
                • Character Class sliding on, or passing through meshes that have been scaled
                • Editor constantly crashing on Stop / Play
                • All chaos objects fracturing OnPlay and passing through collisions

Also Victor, I looked around but is there a planned date for when Chaos will be integrated in UE4 from the launcher?

Thanks.
                There are currently outstanding features in the Beta versions of Chaos. Once out of Beta you'll be able to convert your project to Chaos and have what used to utilize PhysX working.

We have not announced a release date yet, but we're getting closer!

Comment

There are currently outstanding features in the Beta versions of Chaos. Once out of Beta you'll be able to convert your project to Chaos and have what used to utilize PhysX working.

We have not announced a release date yet, but we're getting closer!
                  The 4.25 preview notes didn't mention chaos at all. I'm sure 4.25 will include tons of chaos work but were there any changes in the preview build?

Comment

So basically, from what I understand now, it's 4.23 t'ill it is done.
                    Chaos Beta = 4.23.

You can enable Chaos in 4.24, but you really shouldn't. 4.25 is probably the same story.

Comment

Originally posted by jkinz3 View Post

The 4.25 preview notes didn't mention chaos at all. I'm sure 4.25 will include tons of chaos work but were there any changes in the preview build?
                      Release notes for Chaos will become available closer to full 4.25 release.

Originally posted by THEAETIK View Post
                      So basically, from what I understand now, it's 4.23 t'ill it is done.
                      Chaos Beta = 4.23.

You can enable Chaos in 4.24, but you really shouldn't. 4.25 is probably the same story.
                      Each new engine version contains more additions and bug fixes to Chaos.

Comment

Alright, looking forward to the later 4.25 release then!

Comment

Each new engine version contains more additions and bug fixes to Chaos.
                          Is there something new Chaos related in 4.25? I've just tried to add a simulation component to a cube and it crashed the editor
                          Modular Japanese HouseScaffold System
                          Snap Plugin for EditorSnap Plugin for Games
                          TwitterBlogYoutubeitch.io

Comment

Is there any reason to compile 4.24.3 ?, 4.25P1, 4.25Plus? This would to get Chaos to work.

Comment

Hello VictorLerp ,

Do you know if the final/release version of Chaos will integrate torsion & stress-based destruction?

An example :
                              Break 3/4 of Eiffel Tower's pillars. Do you expect the remaining pillar to resist and the tower to stay up? No.
                              You expect the last pillar to bend before breaking because of the tower's weight and the additional forces applied to this pillar.

The gamework NVidia BLAST supports stress-based destruction (I'm not sure about the torsion).
                              Here is a good screenshot of what I'm talking about. The color indicates the forces applied to specific parts of the object, by it's own weight :
                              Last edited by Rainoxer; 03-22-2020, 05:48 PM.
                              Physics > Graphics

Comment

Us Artists are the ones who are going to have to mess with Chaos and make thigns happen. Can we please get a version of the engine where you dont have to recompile the engine to make it work? Seems like a pointless overly complicated method for us to even learn how to use it. Its a lot of extra work just to get visual studio and learn how to recompile or whatever you have to do. In fact.. last time i tried.. i failed... didnt work. Please help...
                                Last edited by kurylo3d; 03-15-2020, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X