X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by VictorLerp View Post
    Follow these steps to enable Chaos in 4.23 (new documentation)

NOTE: This will enable Chaos for all of your Blueprint and C++ projects. If you'd like to enable Chaos per project, you will have to add the new target lines to your project's Target.cs file and create a C++ project (it won't work with a Blueprint project).

Follow these steps to open the Chaos Destruction Demo:

1. Download the Chaos Destruction Demo from the Learn tab on the Epic Games Launcher.

2. Download 4.23 from Github (source build is required until Chaos is out of Beta).

3. After you setup your GitHub build (you don't need to compile it), move the ChaosDestructionDemo folder into the same folder that you unzipped the GitHub build to.

4. Run GenerateProjectFiles.bat.

5. Open the created UE4.sln.

6. Build the ChaosDestructionDemo for Development Editor (should be the default Visual Studio configuration). This will build the whole engine, with Chaos, since it's already setup in the project's Target file.

NOTE: If you want to create your own project, you will have to follow the steps outlined in the "Follow these steps to enable Chaos in 4.23" section.

7. Once it's done, you can launch the sample from Visual Studio with F5 (or Ctrl+F5, which will launch without debugging attached).

NOTE: If you don't have the Epic Games launcher installed, this will be the only way you can launch it. Double-clicking the ChaosDestructionDemo.uproject will not work (you'll get an error message).

8. If you do have the launcher installed you should be able to open it by double-clicking the uproject.

Break all the things!

RESOURCES:

Chaos Documentation

Feel free to use this thread for discussions related to Chaos. We appreciate your feedback!
    i get a 404 error everytime i try to get source files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by pingms View Post
    Hey guys, when I started building the solution it started generating files, i had 70gb free at the time and it still needed more space, anyone can specify what is the max free space requirement to build it?
    Checked my folders:

Engine source built completed: 111 GB
    Chaos Demo build completed: 32 GB

So, at least 143 GB free + some more spare for temporary files I guess

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey guys, when I started building the solution it started generating files, i had 70gb free at the time and it still needed more space, anyone can specify what is the max free space requirement to build it?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by OptimisticMonkey View Post

Just takes a long time. You can see what it is doing in the output of VS.

It does finish eventually
    Wow you were right. That map took 26 minutes to load, but load it did~ !

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by iBrews View Post
    Hm, the opening map works fine for me, but the Geometry Collections one freezes at 30% every time.
    Just takes a long time. You can see what it is doing in the output of VS.

It does finish eventually

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by iBrews View Post

That threw me off for a minute too-- VictorLerp
    That threw me off for two weeks! lol

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by FX-R080T View Post
    IT GENERATED THE PROJECT FILES!!! WOOOOOO!!!
    So two things... I enabled all Windows SDKs which after running again gave me a new error... It was at least running UnrealBuildTool now though except it was failing to create the project files still. Progress...

Then I noticed that in the example given by Epic where they say to modify your "UE4Editor.Target.cs" they do not include two lines that I had to leave in at the very top.

using UnrealBuildTool;
    using System.Collections.Generic;

I added these back in and then ran "CreateProjectFiles.bat" and it finally worked! It created the project files and the needed UE4.sln file. I opened it in VS and it has finished compiling successfully. I am currently building the ChaosDestructionDemo from VS and everything is working going good so far... just taking for ever.
    That threw me off for a minute too-- VictorLerp

Leave a comment:

• replied
    IT GENERATED THE PROJECT FILES!!! WOOOOOO!!!
    So two things... I enabled all Windows SDKs which after running again gave me a new error... It was at least running UnrealBuildTool now though except it was failing to create the project files still. Progress...

Then I noticed that in the example given by Epic where they say to modify your "UE4Editor.Target.cs" they do not include two lines that I had to leave in at the very top.

using UnrealBuildTool;
    using System.Collections.Generic;

I added these back in and then ran "CreateProjectFiles.bat" and it finally worked! It created the project files and the needed UE4.sln file. I opened it in VS and it has finished compiling successfully. I am currently building the ChaosDestructionDemo from VS and everything is working going good so far... just taking for ever.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hm, everything works fine for me except for the Geometry Collections map, which freezes at 30% every time. So weird that everything else works
    Last edited by iBrews; 09-05-2019, 06:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by theProfessor View Post

How lone did it take to compile? I have an i9 and I am going about 4 hours.
    With a 8 core 16 threads processor at 3.7GHz in a NVMe SSD in raid (which I use just for that) takes around 55-65min to compile, then you can duplicate the folder after that just in case you need the build from source without Chaos and in the copy you setup Chaos and takes another 20-25min if you include the Demo. The difference is because I try to do something in parallel, like seeing a video because waiting sucks.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by OptimisticMonkey View Post
    Couple of questions as I start to dig deeper:

Does the standard LineTrace work only against the PhysX scene?
    Do Chaos objects exist in both PhysX and Chaos?

Thanks in advance for any insight
    [UPDATE]

Here are a few more assumptions/observations ( NOTE: they could be incorrect - feel free to correct)

Looks like the initial collision shape is in PhysX and remains event after being broken in Chaos. The Chaos broken pieces are not in PhysX.
    Hence, LineTraces work in the PhysX scene against teh initial unbroken shape.

Note: Each time you create Field System Actor Blueprint, it will need its own unique Field System asset to contain the data for the Field System being created.
    This means if you alt-drag an anchor it wont work till you create a new FieldSystem asset for it
    How lone did it take to compile? I have an i9 and I am going about 4 hours.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post

I think you need to run Setup.bat before running GenerateProjectFiles.bat... that might fix what is missing!
    Yes, I have been running the Setup.bat file successfully without any problems. Its the next step when running "GenerateProjectFiles.bat" that is kicking my butt.
    I am enabling all Windows SDK options in my Visual Studio 2017 Installer currently.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    When i compiled the over 3000 shaders for the 4.23 Chaos VS says:

Error C1083 File (Include) cannot be opened: "metahost.h": No such file or directory UE4 C:\Users\jan-e\Documents\UnrealEngine-4.23\UnrealEngine-4.23\Engine\Source\Editor\SwarmInterface\Private\SwarmInterface.cpp 21

Error MSB3075 The command "..\..\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat -Target="UE4Editor Win64 Development" -Target="ShaderCompileWorker Win64 Development" -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild" was terminated with code 5. Make sure that you are authorized to execute this command. UE4 C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets 44

Anyone an idea how to fix this?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by scratscrat View Post

Can you upload your "UnrealBuildTool.csproj" file?

scratscrat Sure here ya go. I uploaded it to my google drive. here's the link:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_lg...DspVnBfIe/view

I am also trying to enable all Windows SDK options in my Visual Studio 2017 Installer just in case something is missing.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by FX-R080T; 09-05-2019, 03:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    How much space does it require to build?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X