This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by order66 View Post

Can you add some quick instructions on how to make Chaos work in-game? I am able to create some a GeometryCollection and fracture the mesh, but the actual physics simulation doesn't want to start. E.g. if I place that mesh in the air, it is just stuck. Doesn't seem to be affected by Gravity or anything.
    I've added two videos to the original post - they have lots of information on how to use Chaos!

Comment

Thanks VictorLerp - I can create the geometry collection and fracture it fine, but when I run it it just hangs in the air.... Any ideas/suggestions?

Do you have a super simple sample you could post?
      https://www.casualdistractiongames.com

Comment

Finally have compiled 4.23 P2 witn no errors. Here is in the docs. "1. After compiling finishes, you can load the editor from Visual Studio by setting your startup project to **UE4** and pressing **F5** to debug". I guess I start it in VS 2017. I am not a great wizard with VS. Could you give me an explicit on how to get 4.23 P2 to start. I tried the UE4Editor.exe. It starts OK gets to 45% and just sets there. I have looked at readme.md. The compile took 5 hours.

Comment

theProfessor, You'll sit at 45% for awhile as the shaders are compiled. If you start task manager you'll see Unreal and if you click the drop down arrow you'll see the shaders being built utilizing all the cores you have available. So, be patient.

Comment

I have upgraded Win7 to Win10 and finally chaos worked well.
            There are no errors to generate Geometry Collection.

Comment

Built the source as per VicrorLerp's instructions at the top of thread, and I managed to get GeometryCollection and Fracture to work. When the scene plays the cube falls, hits the ground (make sure you have floor turned on) and breaks apart. Plugins are enabled, and a key point is to change ProjectSettings -> Physics -> ChaosSettings -> DefaultThreadingModel to anything other than "TaskGraph". Next is to figure out Fields.

Comment

pstarace you are awesome! That worked for me.... ProjectSettings -> Physics -> ChaosSettings -> DefaultThreadingModel to anything other than "TaskGraph"

Thank you !!

VictorLerp maybe add that step to the first post....
                Last edited by OptimisticMonkey; 07-20-2019, 03:49 PM.
                https://www.casualdistractiongames.com

Comment

Geometry Collection not showing up in UE 4.23 preview 2 from source.
                  I built a BP and a C++ project neither has the GeoCollection when i right click in browser and go to physics.
                  i followed VictorLerp post
                  I also changed the ChaosSettings to anything besides TaskGraph like in the previous 2 posts.
                  any help would be appreciated,

*edit*
                  the Fracture editor was hidden and i can generate a geocollection from there.

edit 2*

where are these initialization fields.
                  in the Order from Chaos - Destruction in UE4 | GDC 2019 | Unreal Engine video when he right clicks in browser i see the field system option which doesnt appear for me.
                  Last edited by RJM; 07-20-2019, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pstarace View Post
                    Built the source as per VicrorLerp's instructions at the top of thread, and I managed to get GeometryCollection and Fracture to work. When the scene plays the cube falls, hits the ground (make sure you have floor turned on) and breaks apart. Plugins are enabled, and a key point is to change ProjectSettings -> Physics -> ChaosSettings -> DefaultThreadingModel to anything other than "TaskGraph". Next is to figure out Fields.
                    Very nice! Thanks a lot for this tip. Now it's working
                    --------------------------------------------------------
                    [New On Marketplace] Custom Character Creator
                    [Marketplace]Multiplayer Melee Combat System - Animated Crossbow

Comment

OK, now how to implement shooting mechanics?
                      - collision for geo collection for tracing it
                      - field system to cause destruction

GDC talk nicely shows effect and general components of system, but not the implementation detail.

Comment

Originally posted by RJM View Post
                        Geometry Collection not showing up in UE 4.23 preview 2 from source.
                        I built a BP and a C++ project neither has the GeoCollection when i right click in browser and go to physics.
                        i followed VictorLerp post
                        I also changed the ChaosSettings to anything besides TaskGraph like in the previous 2 posts.
                        any help would be appreciated,

*edit*
                        the Fracture editor was hidden and i can generate a geocollection from there.

edit 2*

where are these initialization fields.
                        in the Order from Chaos - Destruction in UE4 | GDC 2019 | Unreal Engine video when he right clicks in browser i see the field system option which doesnt appear for me.
                        Are you using P2 from the launcher? How did you get the "Fracture editor" to come up?

Comment

Originally posted by theProfessor View Post

Are you using P2 from the launcher? How did you get the "Fracture editor" to come up?
                          See the original post. You can NOT use the launcher version.
                          [New On Marketplace] Custom Character Creator
                          [Marketplace]Multiplayer Melee Combat System - Animated Crossbow

Comment

Originally posted by theProfessor View Post

theProfessor i built from ue_4.23 p2 source on github. the Fracture editor was hidden next to the Geometry Editing tab in the modes section.
                            but still nothing appears when i right click in browser and go to physics.

Comment

They moved it to the Fracture Editor Mode. Select your static assets in your level, go to the Fracture Editor Mode panel, and click the Generate Geometry Collection Asset button under the Select group. It will bring up a dialog window to save the new GeometryCollectionAsset, and then replace the static assets with the new GeometryCollectionAsset.

Comment

Originally posted by xxAtrain223 View Post
                                They moved it to the Fracture Editor Mode. Select your static assets in your level, go to the Fracture Editor Mode panel, and click the Generate Geometry Collection Asset button under the Select group. It will bring up a dialog window to save the new GeometryCollectionAsset, and then replace the static assets with the new GeometryCollectionAsset.
                                Are you using P2 from the launcher? I don't see the Fracture Editor in the Mode panel.

Comment

Working...
                                X