This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VictorLerp View Post

You'll have to compile the engine from GitHub to use Chaos until it's out of Early Access, which will take a couple of engine versions.
    I have P5 compiled and it runs great. I am creating Geo collections and they are OK. I just need some help from that point. A video would really help. I have a client ready for an app using Chaos. Noon's video is great but not useful with P5. Help.

Comment

Originally posted by Faërys View Post
      Hello everyone,

Here is research I did to make the destruction "work" with chaos : (Caution! French explanation in coming.)

1) I've wached the video many times to figure out how works the field system => Fail, I still don't know how it works.

2) Concerning the destruction :
      | 2.1) The Geometry Collection works, you select a bunch of objects you want to gather and click on the "create" button located IN the chaos tab to create your Geometry Collection.
      | 2.2) Tools to fracture seem to be "OK" and work.
      | 2.3) I did not find a way to remove a depth of destruction or just to undo a destruction type (without CTRL+Z). Will it be added?
      | 2.4) Contrary to the presentation video of the GDC, my geometry collection does not fall below the floor by remaining whole, it falls until it collides with the floor simulated by the ChaosSolverActor (an actor you'll find in your world outliner when adding a geometry collection) and instantly destroys itself. If I change the height of the simulated floor of this actor, then my destructible object is going to be collided and destroyed at this height. The geometry collection does not interact with other types of object.
      | 2.5) I succeeded in creating a floor and walls that collide with my destructible object. To do so, I created simple objects that I turned into geometry collection. These objects are set to STATIC. While my destructible object is DYNAMIC. (You find that setting on the General Tab in the Details of your Geometry Collection : "Object Type".)
      | 2.6) Using this technique, I tried to create a bullet to interact with my destructible object => Fail.
      | 2.7) If you scale your Geometry Collection floor or your Geometry Collection walls, the chunks of your destructible object will not collide enterely with your floor and walls. That is to say, the destructible object will only interact with the original size of your floor and walls, even if they are scaled. So you can find flying chunks if you descrease the size of your static object by scaling or see chunks getting through if you increase the size of your static object by scaling.
      | 2.8) My destructible object collapses instantly when I start my project, I haven't found a way to leave it undestroyed and interact with it.

3) Collision betweens object : "Block All" doesn't work (Or something is missing in my project). Every object I throw on my Geometry Collection goes through...

I hope these explanations will help. Feel free to ask questions if a point is unclear or if my English is approximate (Ahhh those French people !).

Faërys
      Can you shoot the GeoCollection and have it fracture?

Comment

FYI, we'll be doing a livestream on how to get started with Chaos on August 22nd. We'll walk you through most of the questions that have been asked here, including fields!
        That's great news Really looking forward to it!
        --------------------------------------------------------
        [New On Marketplace] Custom Character Creator
        [Marketplace]Multiplayer Melee Combat System - Animated Crossbow

Comment

Originally posted by order66 View Post

That's great news Really looking forward to it!
          I will be in the front row.

Comment

Originally posted by BryanBishop View Post
            Just got this built and running!
            Why I must build if by default it must be in UE4 editor?

Comment

You'll have to compile the engine from GitHub to use Chaos until it's out of Early Access, which will take a couple of engine versions.
              So that means that Chaos won't be production ready until 4.25 and not 4.24 as it was previously announced ? The delay will mean Q1 2020 right ?

Comment

Originally posted by Faërys View Post
                Hello everyone,

Here is research I did to make the destruction "work" with chaos : (Caution! French explanation in coming.)

1) I've wached the video many times to figure out how works the field system => Fail, I still don't know how it works.

2) Concerning the destruction :
                | 2.1) The Geometry Collection works, you select a bunch of objects you want to gather and click on the "create" button located IN the chaos tab to create your Geometry Collection.
                | 2.2) Tools to fracture seem to be "OK" and work.
                | 2.3) I did not find a way to remove a depth of destruction or just to undo a destruction type (without CTRL+Z). Will it be added?
                | 2.4) Contrary to the presentation video of the GDC, my geometry collection does not fall below the floor by remaining whole, it falls until it collides with the floor simulated by the ChaosSolverActor (an actor you'll find in your world outliner when adding a geometry collection) and instantly destroys itself. If I change the height of the simulated floor of this actor, then my destructible object is going to be collided and destroyed at this height. The geometry collection does not interact with other types of object.
                | 2.5) I succeeded in creating a floor and walls that collide with my destructible object. To do so, I created simple objects that I turned into geometry collection. These objects are set to STATIC. While my destructible object is DYNAMIC. (You find that setting on the General Tab in the Details of your Geometry Collection : "Object Type".)
                | 2.6) Using this technique, I tried to create a bullet to interact with my destructible object => Fail.
                | 2.7) If you scale your Geometry Collection floor or your Geometry Collection walls, the chunks of your destructible object will not collide enterely with your floor and walls. That is to say, the destructible object will only interact with the original size of your floor and walls, even if they are scaled. So you can find flying chunks if you descrease the size of your static object by scaling or see chunks getting through if you increase the size of your static object by scaling.
                | 2.8) My destructible object collapses instantly when I start my project, I haven't found a way to leave it undestroyed and interact with it.

3) Collision betweens object : "Block All" doesn't work (Or something is missing in my project). Every object I throw on my Geometry Collection goes through...

I hope these explanations will help. Feel free to ask questions if a point is unclear or if my English is approximate (Ahhh those French people !).

Faërys
                To prevent destructible object from instant collapses, you probably want to set the object type to SLEEPING. I managed to awake SLEEPING objects by spawning a GeometryCollection bullet inside them, but with movable projectile, still no luck.

Comment

I have the compiled version of 4.23 P6 working great. Creating GeoCollections and fracturing. Up to that point in Allan's video. All I need is the BP's. Put a project(P6) on github for downloading. I could be off and running. I have a client would like to see Chaos in an ad. I need to seize the moment.

Comment

Are you UEdocs? Fantastic videos. Any chance a video on how you did them. Did you use 4.23 P6(compiled)?

Comment

These videos are pretty useless considering everyone here is struggling to understand how fields work, and you only show the result. Not the way you achieved this.
                      I have a dream...

Comment

These videos are made by Epic for the official UE4 documentation. They are working on those at the moment. From the looks of it those videos are part of the ContentExamples. I am sure we'll get our hands on those as soon as 4.23 releases.

Patience you must have
                        [New On Marketplace] Custom Character Creator
                        [Marketplace]Multiplayer Melee Combat System - Animated Crossbow

Comment

Originally posted by Weiqi Gu View Post

To prevent destructible object from instant collapses, you probably want to set the object type to SLEEPING. I managed to awake SLEEPING objects by spawning a GeometryCollection bullet inside them, but with movable projectile, still no luck.
                          Yes, indeed, I also tried this. But I was not able to destroy them, like you, with movable GeoCollection.

Comment

Originally posted by theProfessor View Post

Can you shoot the GeoCollection and have it fracture?
                            Not at all, even with GeoCollection movable object...

Comment

Originally posted by EA_Unreal_77 View Post

Why I must build if by default it must be in UE4 editor?
                              Because new code is going into this preview build every day. These features are completely new, untested, and not really robust enough for wide distribution yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X