X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Odenir View Post
    Hi,
    If it's not fixed on 4.23, I think I will downgrade the project to the 4.20 version.
    https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-76059 Says it should be fixed for 4.23

Originally posted by Doctor Ergot View Post
    Of course. One example would be counting how many times Matinee will be converted to Sequencer in 4.23.
    https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...626bfb375f00fe
    Cool, sounds like a much more efficient way of figuring out what to work on with an engine. Especially when you have hundreds of thousands of people using it. Personally, I have no problem with them knowing what features I'm using and whatnot. So long as they aren't snooping on my actual code, I couldn't care less (as long as it's not having an effect on my computer or internet connection).

Comment

Originally posted by IronicParadox View Post

https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-76059 Says it should be fixed for 4.23
      Thank you!

Comment

Now I'm dealing with error code 0x000007b. In Unreal Answers Hub I already explained my error message when I was trying to open Unreal Engine 4.22.3 on my 64-bit Windows 8.1.

Comment

Originally posted by UnexpectedSquirt View Post

Uh, so just dont' go all in developing with experimental features then?

if you're as experienced a UE dev as you say, you'll have probably realized by now that this is just how it works with UE.

1. Feature goes in (experimental) < - This is where you are apparently developing. (You should just be experimenting with the feature, or learning the concepts behind it)
          2. It's broken or incomplete for a while
          3. Its ready <- This is where you *should* be developing a shippable product with that feature.

Also, when it comes to Raytracing it seems pretty obvious that it's basically just a gimmick feature to sell Nvidia cards at this point. I actually laughed when I saw the "real time reflections" Star Wars demo , because the fidelity was only marginally better than what you'd get with SSR or other way cheaper effects but it was being hailed as the next coming.

tldr -

1. temper your expectations abit, and don't invest too much effort in developing for obviously experimental features.
          2. realize that technology is and always has been more hype than substance.

Patience is a virtue
          The biggest benefit ist not the better quality, but the interactivety, the reflection /shadow updates in realtime. That nothing is just baked in. And sure in understand the process from early acess to beta to final, but as i said, i think its more useful that they give us unreal developers fewer features that we can experiment with but can expect that the feature will soon be production ready.

For me it makes little sense to experiment with features that either won't be usable for years, or will even be discontinued completely, or will no longer have any meaningful use after their completion, because the technology and the workflows have changed for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by IronicParadox View Post

Except Epic has over 1000 employees... I'd assume there are quite a few coders in that mix.

Yeah, they experiment a lot and get feedback on them. A lot of them get shelved because there wasn't enough interest in them and it's not worth the time to finish developing. I mean look what happened with material layers, it was worked on for quite a while, but didn't quite pan out the way they wanted it to, so they shelved it.

I've never tested it, but in this day and age, I'd almost be certain that the editor occasionally sends telemetry data back to Epic for what's being used and what isn't. Sure, the editor can run just fine without a connection, but if it is connected, I'd bet it randomly sends information. It would be foolish if they didn't. Not just crash report data, I'm talking about from the actual editor itself. It probably wouldn't be specific code or anything and would be anonymous data, but it could check what features are being used and such. It would be an easy way to get a feel for what percentage of users are actually using the experimental features, to see if they should continue pumping resources into it or not.
            Material Layers are a perfect example, they are soo useful in comparison to the unhandy material function approach. But they shifted the focus.

Not every feature should need the utmost attention to be developed further at all

Comment

So if I have error code when I'm trying to open Unreal Engine 4.22.3 in Epic Games Launcher/Store 0x000007b it means I have to fix Visual C++ 2015, right? What should I do in case if it's updating all one day for eternity(it's taking too much long time to wait when it will fix itself) just like in my case? Is there any way to fix it guys?
              Last edited by Gamerz31w; 08-04-2019, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Hey, when I have enabled Mixed Reality and Hololens plugins, I still can't build to hololens. I get the options to edit hololens in Edit->Platforms, but can't build to hololens. Any ideas? Is it not implemented?

Comment

It seems you're working on Unreal 4.23.0 preview 4. That's great.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamerz31w View Post
                    So if I have error code when I'm trying to open Unreal Engine 4.22.3 in Epic Games Launcher/Store 0x000007b it means I have to fix Visual C++ 2015, right? What should I do in case if it's updating all one day for eternity(it's taking too much long time to wait when it will fix itself) just like in my case? Is there any way to fix it guys?
                    Excerpt from the UE4.22 release notes:

"Support for Visual Studio 2019 has been added. To use Visual Studio 2019 by default, select "Visual Studio 2019" as the IDE from the editor's source control settings.

We've also added support for switching to newer C++ standard versions. To change the version of the C++ standard that your project supports, set the CppStandard property to one of the following values from your .target.cs file.
                    C++14 CppStandardVersion.Cpp14
                    C++17 CppStandardVersion.Cpp17
                    Latest CppStandardVersion.Latest
                    At the same time, we've deprecated support for Visual Studio 2015. If you want to force your project to compile with the Visual Studio 2015 compiler, you can set WindowsPlatform.Compiler = WindowsCompiler.VisualStudio2015 from your project's .target.cs file. Note that the version of the engine downloaded from the Epic Games Launcher does not support Visual Studio 2015, and we no longer test it internally.
                    "
                    Nilson Lima
                    Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
                    Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
                    supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

Originally posted by Tazhel View Post
                      Hey, when I have enabled Mixed Reality and Hololens plugins, I still can't build to hololens. I get the options to edit hololens in Edit->Platforms, but can't build to hololens. Any ideas? Is it not implemented?
                      Plugins are only integrated to the latest version when the engine is set to "release" state, not while in "preview" state, with few exceptions when the tech specifically is on preview aswel.
                      Nilson Lima
                      Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
                      Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
                      supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

I still have error code 0x000007b even in Unreal Engine 4.23.0 preview 4 and Visual C++ 2015 still keeps updating for entire all day for eternity.

Comment

You should update to Visual 2017 for 4.23.
                          VS 2015 is ancient and deprecated, as pointed out NilsonLima.

Comment

Gamerz31w
                            ​​​​​​​
                            Originally posted by Doctor Ergot View Post
                            You should update to Visual 2017 for 4.23.
                            VS 2015 is ancient and deprecated, as pointed out NilsonLima.
                            Visual Studio 2015 support was deprecated in 4.22, btw.

You can force your project to compile with 2015 by setting "WindowsPlatform.Compiler=WindowsCompiler.VisualStudio2015" in your project's Target.cs file. VS2015 is no longer tested internally, though, so if you run into issues keep in mind that it's not something we support.
                            Tim Hobson | Learning Resources | Epic Games
                            UE4 Documentation

Comment

Well I installed Visual C++ 2019 already. And I'm still dealing with error code 0x000007b.

Comment

On RAYTRACING-
                                Everyone knows development takes time. Ever user already knows this.

Some mentions are as follows-
                                1) Leo Rakes posted that there are degradations in raytracing feature set and raytracing-UI functionality since 4.22.3
                                2) Lesuge described experience where capital was invested, as hardware was purchased, for raytracing goal.
                                3) I myself mentioned that I know another developer of an outside rendering engine who could potentially assist with opaque shadow issue Unreal development is struggling with.

So you could imagine 2 approaches:
                                1) address so that 4.23 isn’t released in a degraded raytracing-capacity; or
                                2) postpone development based on a ‘beta’ designation

How do you feel, which approach sounds better to you?
                                Last edited by Daffrendo; 08-07-2019, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X