Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Engine 4.23 Preview

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post

    Good that you brought this up and I want to clarify the importance of submitting bugs (any Epic member can also come up and enforce what I am about to say Tim Hobson)

    When the dev team decides to put a release on preview, lets use the 4.23 as example, a separate branch for 4.24 is already created where they continue to develop while the preview is out (not to mention several experimental branches for specific modules and plugins!), so whenever a bug is submitted via form, it is compared with the branch for the specific preview number, against any other that might be released after and also with the one in development, in this case and example 4.24!

    This is fairly normal for development and it is also important, because even between previews, something can break! There is no painless path, otherwise test against all. If you say it was working on 4.22.3, then they will add that too, so they can pin-point when the deviation happened!

    So, report is a must, with repro steps highly desirable, crash reports while connected with launcher helps identify the user submitting the report, so they can contact the person about the circumstances aswel.

    Do not get discouraged with playing with the previews, since there are separate teams working with Chaos, Niagara and Raytracing. The previews exist in order to quickly map hot spots where the users are playing with, and also the Raytracing was told would take many release iterations until it can be considered "released" as feature for once, mainly because it traverses several other features.
    Spot on!

    The one thing I should also note in here, is that if something is reported in Preview X, it's not guaranteed to be fixed immediately in the next preview release, or even the major release. It may get lumped into a hotfix, if possible.

    Also, keep in mind that SIGGRAPH is happening this week so a lot of our rendering team is there giving talks and learning some cool things along the way.

    Daffrendo

    "It's still the same with the Translucent shadows being fully opaque"

    I've previously mentioned this, I believe. This will not be solved in this release. I don't know about 4.24 at the moment since that's months down the road from now and a lot of development time still ahead to see.

    While there are bugs with Ray Tracing, more often than not, because it's a Beta feature still in active development, things like this are just a limitation of the current implementation.
    Tim Hobson | Learning Resources | Epic Games
    UE4 Documentation

    Comment


      Hi

      I would like to know more about the New Pro Video Codecs included? Where can I find information about this?

      Thanks
      Rasmus

      Comment


        Anyone able to launch a 4.22 project that has the Windows Mixed Reality plugin enabled at all? I can't, I get this:

        Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	42
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	1648677

        Comment


          Originally posted by Warner V View Post
          It seems that in my projects (in heavy scenes, mostly static, just with many tris) performance of 4.23preview4 is significantly worse than in 4.22. Is this something that is still worked on? Is there any particular element (in materials?) that I can look at for a cause/resolution? As it is now, it looks to be a bit challenging to migrate the project, since we can not afford to lose the performance..

          Thanks for any tips! (and I'd be happy to provide more information, of course)
          So is nobody else experiencing deterioration in general performance?

          Comment


            Originally posted by Warner V View Post

            So is nobody else experiencing deterioration in general performance?
            Not really, but sometimes after an update I forget to copy and paste my old config files and it can be a bit of a shock until I realize. For instance, I use LODDistanceScale and similar variables to fine tune things and this can have a major impact on performance. Maybe that's not your problem but I thought I would throw it out there.

            Comment


              Using particles in conjunction with RTX leads always to crashes after a while...

              Comment


                I cant find the New VR Scouting tools anywhere. Can anyone provide a clue on where they are?????

                Comment


                  Hi Unreal team -- may I ask that you guys please revert the Event Track in Sequencer to what it used to be? I have no idea why it was changed -- but it has now become needlessly awkward and complicated whereas it used to be very straight forward.

                  Thanks
                  vr and new media installations
                  www.samuelwalker.xyz

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post
                    Good that you brought this up and I want to clarify the importance of submitting bugs (any Epic member can also come up and enforce what I am about to say Tim Hobson)

                    When the dev team decides to put a release on preview, lets use the 4.23 as example, a separate branch for 4.24 is already created where they continue to develop while the preview is out (not to mention several experimental branches for specific modules and plugins!), so whenever a bug is submitted via form, it is compared with the branch for the specific preview number, against any other that might be released after and also with the one in development, in this case and example 4.24!

                    This is fairly normal for development and it is also important, because even between previews, something can break! There is no painless path, otherwise test against all. If you say it was working on 4.22.3, then they will add that too, so they can pin-point when the deviation happened!

                    So, report is a must, with repro steps highly desirable, crash reports while connected with launcher helps identify the user submitting the report, so they can contact the person about the circumstances aswel.

                    Do not get discouraged with playing with the previews, since there are separate teams working with Chaos, Niagara and Raytracing. The previews exist in order to quickly map hot spots where the users are playing with, and also the Raytracing was told would take many release iterations until it can be considered "released" as feature for once, mainly because it traverses several other features.
                    Originally posted by Tim Hobson View Post

                    Spot on!

                    The one thing I should also note in here, is that if something is reported in Preview X, it's not guaranteed to be fixed immediately in the next preview release, or even the major release. It may get lumped into a hotfix, if possible.

                    Also, keep in mind that SIGGRAPH is happening this week so a lot of our rendering team is there giving talks and learning some cool things along the way.

                    Daffrendo

                    "It's still the same with the Translucent shadows being fully opaque"

                    I've previously mentioned this, I believe. This will not be solved in this release. I don't know about 4.24 at the moment since that's months down the road from now and a lot of development time still ahead to see.

                    While there are bugs with Ray Tracing, more often than not, because it's a Beta feature still in active development, things like this are just a limitation of the current implementation.

                    It was interesting reading about your mention of 4.24 and Ray Tracing being a Beta feature, because it made me reflect on how I myself started a discussion off asking if the 4.23 preview was really just going to be aimed at Chaos...Because in doing so, I was just accepting that RayTracing is just a Beta thing.

                    But, when I then look at how RayTracing has thus far been promoted, I am seeing is that it is not at all being promoted as some Beta feature that is just in testing. In fact, Epic is showcasing Raytracing in promotions and webinars as part of its strategic partnerships with other companies like NVidia, film and game developers, architectual visualization companies, and it is even used in part in showcasing of its online learning courses. You can imagine a lot of outside companies are probably devoting capital in buying hardware (ie RTX cards), as well as Unreal Marketplace assets, expecting that Unreal's Raytracing is going to develop forward.

                    Which brings us to this Preview. Now, it's one thing for us to not see any development moving forward, or very minimal, but what we are seeing is a degradation of functionality since 4.22. Leo Rakes posted a list of his 'thus-far' finds 7/24 post:
                    "Until the latest 4.23 Preview 3, RTGI was damaged, RT translucency was completely disabled, SSGI could not be combined with RT effect, LPV could not be combined with RT effect, which led to the only available GI effect under RT Shadow was RTGI, but its performance was so bad. Many parts of ray tracing look terrible, even worse than 4.22.3."

                    Just know I understand the dynamic, I know from my own experience there always tends to be an organizational disconnect between marketing/front-line/customer-service and back-office/operations/IT. It is one of the joys of a big actively developing company. There are points when customers have unrealistic expectations, and there are points when you can pat operations on the back for doing an awesome job. But then there are times when developers need to know that they can't be timid in setting goals to meet a demand or deadline. Because like it or not, Epic has set its foot into the Raytracing world and is promoting it as an active part of its engine. Raytracing development has to be a priority. I've seen it said that it is not a priority right now, but this indeed conflicts with what is being promoted in the public sphere.

                    And issues getting fixed is 4.24 is wonderful, but 4.23 comes out first - it can't be released having a degraded Raytracing product. You will have people setting up projects in 4.23, then finding out it doesn't work as good as 4.22, and then they can't migrate their assets and have to rebuild scenes back in 4.22...a mess.....


                    Also, with regards to the whole opaque shadow thing, like I said, this seems to be a usual phenomenon in render engines. I have seen the Octane Render developers in the past handle these type issues. As it so happens I am trialing the Octane Render plugin for Unreal now, and low and behold, look at what happened in a scene as it was converted to Octane (look at lashes and eyes, even hair!)-
                    (see image "Octane _01")

                    Now, I know what will happen when I ask the developer about it, he will say it has to be fixed so that the alpha map displays properly for the translucent materials, and he will fix that and the shadows. Which brings me to this point - if your developers could instantly fix, they would, right?...
                    So let me offer this - I can tell the Octane developer that Unreal's development is having difficulty with the translucent materials and shadows, and that it could be to both of your benefits to work together to come to a solution, as it would improve both the products, which would in turn be great for any users of wither product. I know with these things there would be restrictions and limits to release of proprietary details, but an exchange of general knowledge could speed this up for everyone involved. What do you think, would you want me to ask?

                    THX!
                    -Daffrendo
                    Last edited by Stephen Ellis; 08-02-2019, 04:05 PM.

                    Comment


                      Is anyone else experiencing an issue/memory leak after importing a large amount of 4K textures (say like 500mb+ in total) and then saving?

                      Comment


                        hi ,
                        blueprint create session working but find session not working for ps4 onlinesubsystem for online games.
                        please can you check these ? and if somethings wrong please fix it in 4.23 version

                        thanks
                        sincerely

                        Comment


                          Daffrendo The major issue is that "it can be easily fixed" but "will it be optimal in performance? no", meaning it has always to be optimized for game industry, otherwise it would be in the stage already presented back there in the 1st Realtime Raytracing demo with 4 x Titan V and we all see it working right? Live action including...

                          My guess the development for Realtime Raytracing to be optimal for every kind of industry (games, film and arch-viz) will extend as much as UE4.26, so we still have 1 year+ to have it stable and labeled as "released feature" instead of "Beta feature". Note that Niagara is also on Beta and is being developed since forever O.o ... it just takes time to mature.
                          Nilson Lima
                          Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
                          Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

                          UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
                          supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

                          Comment


                            @Daddrendo I hear you on the marketing thing... I don't remember them having conference-level presentations on Light Propagation Volumes, because it is considered experimental so that's a fair critique.

                            I personally jumped on the UE4 bandwagon a year ago because of raytracing but It is basically unusable unless you do simple interior/archviz type work. Forget it for out-of-doors because it can't be combined with ANY reasonable GI technology and the volumetric fog values when seen in raytraced reflections are too inaccurate (more fog in reflection than what nature would dictate for given distance.) not to mention the screwy translucency.I would be thrilled if we could even just have raytraced shadows with some other form of realtime GI. I have my doubts that RTGI will ever mature within the 2000 series timeline and will most likely be replaced by more efficient Nvidia tech like DDGI by that time. I personally think they should ditch RTGI for DDGI, especially if optimizations are the problem because DDGI only costs 1 ms at 4k and has NO NOISE. 1 ms!!! See link and video below.

                            https://devblogs.nvidia.com/rtx-glob...nation-part-i/

                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=DOt28ooFMR4
                            Last edited by decksounds13; 08-02-2019, 11:48 AM.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post
                              Daffrendo The major issue is that "it can be easily fixed" but "will it be optimal in performance? no", meaning it has always to be optimized for game industry, otherwise it would be in the stage already presented back there in the 1st Realtime Raytracing demo with 4 x Titan V and we all see it working right? Live action including...

                              My guess the development for Realtime Raytracing to be optimal for every kind of industry (games, film and arch-viz) will extend as much as UE4.26, so we still have 1 year+ to have it stable and labeled as "released feature" instead of "Beta feature". Note that Niagara is also on Beta and is being developed since forever O.o ... it just takes time to mature.
                              Hi Nilson! as an outside developer using Unreal, what do you feel knowing Epic can't make improvements to RayTracing sooner, like do you feel it impacts you?
                              Did they mention to you their difficulty in developing the RayTracing feature?
                              -Daffrendo


                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Daffrendo View Post

                                Hi Nilson! as an outside developer using Unreal, what do you feel knowing Epic can't make improvements to RayTracing sooner, like do you feel it impacts you?
                                Did they mention to you their difficulty in developing the RayTracing feature?
                                -Daffrendo
                                Impacts everyone, because people feel the need to use and show new things that they can do, because the tech is mind blowing when you think the possibility of having it realtime, my use for it and the engine before they mentioned it, was film, so now with the realtime aspect becoming so good, we are with our eyes turning on game ideas. I study the UE4 rendering module and most parts of the engine since 2016 and I keep following up what they do and also what AMD and NVidia has built with Unreal along these years... all I can say is that trying to make the engine work optimal to all of those industries are a hard task, I know because GPU tech is my thing for long and I say it most of experience than someone from Epic telling me, because the amount of ideas to improve it are just too many to try them all at once, so sometimes things break and there is nothing much someone can do, since it is not only one person working on it.

                                As I said, it just takes time to mature, and you have to consider the software outside Epic's domain: DirectX12 shader model 6, Vulkan, NVidia drivers, so if any of those have issues... they depend on fixes on their side aswel.
                                Nilson Lima
                                Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
                                Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

                                UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
                                supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X