Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new learning portal preview is now live!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Uprentiss View Post
    When I try to log in it says my account is locked.
    Hi Uprentiss, can you email me at onlinelearning [at] epicgames.com and we'll get it sorted.

Thanks,

Chris

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Boarnoah View Post
    tl;dr Feel like there is a gap in resources between general design patterns (https://www.gameprogrammingpatterns.com/contents.html) and video tutorials that focus on implementing specific things in engine.
    I agree, I feel like we're missing some more in-depth, technical courses. Like there are whole games written entirely in Blueprints, and there isn't a single place you can actually learn about how the VM works, you have to gain all the insights from 10 different forum posts to have an idea about using it effectively. Almost nothing on Unreal async programming and async asset handling. And many other topics, which are the integral parts of almost every serious game, yet, we have to dig info out of outdated wikis, engine source, random Japanese blogs, etc.

Visibility Culling is really a great example. The Real-Time Rendering class is awesome for instance, really informative, great examples, speed, etc. I wish we had more of the same type, something that is not only targeted for beginners / architects / VR, but more intermediate, more commonly applicable, technical courses for game-development.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Looking good though the Czech translation could use some tweaks. I'm happy to help with that as Czech is my first language .

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello Chris,

good example of a text based course.
    Resources like the https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/...ibilityCulling , More detailed examples (that go over best practices, common designs) of concepts would be interesting to see.
    Another resource I've seen cited as an example of well done text tutorials is https://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/ (covers topics on Unity).

Not sure if this type of content is the goal of the learning portal, but I personally find it to be something that's lacking.
    A common response when looking for in depth text based resources is to go look at sources such as Udemy courses (which only cover basic uses and certainly not overarching design - like what are the best practices when building save/restore mechanisms, level streaming etc... ).

tl;dr Feel like there is a gap in resources between general design patterns (https://www.gameprogrammingpatterns.com/contents.html) and video tutorials that focus on implementing specific things in engine. An ideal intermediate resource would be ones that cover designing systems using the engine and providing insights into best practices based on experiences etc..

Hope that helps.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Anyone else getting super tiny videos?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Boarnoah View Post
    Are there plans for more text based courses through the portal? The current stuff at docs.unrealengine.com is great to get a high level overview on concepts in order to know if its the correct thing to dive deeper into.

Having transcripts, or some more keywords per course and module would also really help to identify relevant material especially when the library continues to grow.

Incidentally any news when the wiki will be opening back up ?
    Hi Boarnoah,

We can now do lots of different types of courses. I'm interested in seeing what you consider to be a good example of a text based course. Can you email me a link or example to onlinelearning [at] epicgames.com?

We plan to release the transcripts once we decide the best way to do it. We already have them completed and they are used in the Closed Captions in video player.

Cheers,

Chris​​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by fred64 View Post
    Hi, maybe a bug. I have started following this course
    High End Product Lighting and Rendering (Exterior)

And redemed the code shown in the "more information" tab, but no product appeared in my vault, I believe the product is no longer available...

thanks

Fred
    OK, I'll look into that ASAP.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by pbdarcey View Post
    I really like the new layout. Thanks for this.
    Glad you like it!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi, maybe a bug. I have started following this course
    High End Product Lighting and Rendering (Exterior)

And redemed the code shown in the "more information" tab, but no product appeared in my vault, I believe the product is no longer available...

thanks

Fred

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Are there plans for more text based courses through the portal? The current stuff at docs.unrealengine.com is great to get a high level overview on concepts in order to know if its the correct thing to dive deeper into.

Having transcripts, or some more keywords per course and module would also really help to identify relevant material especially when the library continues to grow.

Incidentally any news when the wiki will be opening back up ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DamirH View Post

Is there a way to apply for this at this time and if so, where and how?
    send me an email to onlinelearning (at) epicgames.com I'll forward you to one of our producers who can share details with you.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    When I try to log in it says my account is locked.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by chrismmurray_EG View Post

Yes we have an audition process where we evaluate the authors ability to effectively instruct and communicate complex concepts and procedures within the engine itself. If/when they pass the audition, we work with them on a course proposal that is vetted by Epic subject matter experts. Once that is complete and approved, then they have the green light to create video content to our specification.
    Is there a way to apply for this at this time and if so, where and how?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ikifenix View Post
    Would be great if you can click on next lesson while you are in full screen, is a bit pain watch a video in full screen and when it finishes Exit full screen mode -> Next Module -> Full Screen -> Play, make a button that appears when the video finishes so you just click on it and start the next lesson in the current format you just saw the video (full screen or normal window) and autoplay, or just a countdown you can stop and if you don't stop it, the next lesson starts to play in full screen if you were watching the video in full screen, or in normal size if you were watching the video in normal size.

Still no C++ courses. Just a note, make C++ courses without telling what to text, if you say something like "write APlayerController->SetViewTarget(CameraOne);" , we learn to do that and only that, it is better to show how to reach and find we need SetViewTarget, instead say "I know I have to use SetViewTarget". I say this, because it is something I saw in tons of Unreal C++ courses and at the end, you only learn to do what the tutorial is showing (move a character, shot, grab something, etc...) instead how to program in C++ for UE4. It is like teach someone how to tweak a photo in particular saying "I know I have to set contrast to 20 and hue to 12" instead teach how to find the right contrast and hue values by himself, so he can use that knowledge in other photos.
    Thanks Ikifenix,

Noted. I'll see what we can do.

C++ courses are coming later this year. They take awhile to produce.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DamirH View Post

When you say "there is an author selection and vetting process" do you mean like, right now?
    Yes we have an audition process where we evaluate the authors ability to effectively instruct and communicate complex concepts and procedures within the engine itself. If/when they pass the audition, we work with them on a course proposal that is vetted by Epic subject matter experts. Once that is complete and approved, then they have the green light to create video content to our specification.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X