Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new learning portal preview is now live!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Great, really looking forward to see some Highquality (intermediate) Learining Resources !

    I watched the "High End Product Lighting and Rendering (Exterior) Course Files" and there is no redeem Code on this side (neither Additional infos, on Firefox)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PrHangs; 05-12-2019, 07:48 AM.

    Comment


      #32
      So i found the code -> see image. It will show a "Not Found" error but still adds it to your Library
      Attached Files

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by PrHangs View Post
        So i found the code -> see image. It will show a "Not Found" error but still adds it to your Library
        Hi PrHangs,

        Yes another user reported this.. .we are looking into it.

        Stay tuned.

        C
        Chris Murray
        Senior Manager Online Learning, Unreal Engine
        Twitter: @chrismmurray
        LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrismmurray/

        Comment


          #34
          At present, the lack of curriculum resources is still in the program part, mainly the C++ part of UE4, networking module, AI module and so on. . The other is the GamePlayAbility system. This system is really very practical, but the learning resources are very few. When we use it, we can only read the source code ourselves, lacking official teaching and case.

          Comment


            #35
            Congratulations on tackling this popular issue again! Keep up the gradual improvements. Every bit counts.

            Comment


              #36
              I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed by the Learning Resources. The focus is very clearly on architecture (archviz) and enterprises, and next to nothing for indie-gamedevs. I understand this is Epics new target audience and that the site is just starting, but it's sad you seem to forget your indie devs out there.

              When looking at the Docs over at Lumberyard, Amazon is going into great lengths to post detailled, well explained videos on basic techniques (e.g. dynamic lighting) and intermediate things. I guess I was stupid to expect this level of resources..
              Last edited by spacegojira; 05-15-2019, 04:49 AM.

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by ClavosTech View Post
                Hi Chris, Since you're open to feedback... Here's 3 points to consider:

                #1. Learning Samples / Examples:
                UE4 devs have been asking for more of these since 2014. Here's one example that went unanswered. I started making the same request here. Is it possible to change hearts and minds and get Epic to place a higher priority or importance on this form of learning? There's such value to seeing sample / learning projects in action. Deconstructing working projects is absolutely priceless, because the amount of knowledge you take away is far higher than any video tutorial can ever offer!


                #2. Missing Content:
                I wish Epic would start by covering the most difficult topics and then work backwards (if time allows). For example take the 4 horsemen of the video game apocalypse: C++, AI, Multiplayer, Characters+Animation. They all seem to be absent here... Type C++ and the search returns a Blueprints course. Type AI you get lots of irrelevant hits. Type Characters / Animation, nothing... Multiplayer, same again, nothing.... Any plans to add these 4 areas to the academy course list?
                I completely agree with you. Having actual example templates/projects to dismantle/reverse engineer along with videos makes learning such a difficult thing much easier.
                I also agree that the main focus should be on the hardest and most commonly sought after aspects, such as Multiplayer replication, C++, things that increase workflow, getting new marketplace assets working on old versions, porting your projects to newer engine versions etc.
                I propose polls that the community vote on which templates/tutorials they want to see and then they get implemented in that order.
                I'll give you an example, there was an old tutorial that is now outdated on how to make replicated swimable water, that would be useful for so many people to learn how to do!

                Originally posted by spacegojira View Post
                I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed by the Learning Resources. The focus is very clearly on architecture (archviz) and enterprises, and next to nothing for indie-gamedevs. I understand this is Epics new target audience and that the site is just starting, but it's sad you seem to forget your indie devs out there.

                When looking at the Docs over at Lumberyard, Amazon is going into great lengths to post detailled, well explained videos on basic techniques (e.g. dynamic lighting) and intermediate things. I guess I was stupid to expect this level of resources..
                They have not cared 'as much' for indie devs in a long time now. And Fortnite is taking up most of their time. The only thing we can do besides wait for any changes is come together as a community even more and help eachother. In my opinion we are lucky that they are doing these learning resources at all as I've felt like we've been an afterthought for quite a while now, but let's be real, Fortnite is not going to last them forever, the engine itself and the community behind it are the most important foundational aspects they will realize they need to focus on. They could essentially make more money if they have more people improving the engine for them & selling games(they collect royalties), so If people see that many forumgoers have questions still unresolved, & lack of proper learning materials etc, it's going to send them to other game engines or they will just give up, most people aren't going to bother posting about their trials. We don't have enough knowledgeable community members to answer newcomers posts, many of the posts that do end up getting answered are still unresolved because of inadequate yet well intentioned community members, even some of the longest members here are struggling due to inadequate learning materials & many don't have time to help anyway because they are busy with their own projects.

                Originally posted by Unreal-NetFly View Post
                At present, the lack of curriculum resources is still in the program part, mainly the C++ part of UE4, networking module, AI module and so on. . The other is the GamePlayAbility system. This system is really very practical, but the learning resources are very few. When we use it, we can only read the source code ourselves, lacking official teaching and case.
                I'm glad so many people are in agreement about this, I'm one of them.



                Lastly & most importantly, how will any guides Epic makes be useful if they aren't all updated with every engine change? This is why Template Learning Projects inside the engine itself are probably the best learning method as long as Epic keeps them up to date & considering Epic can easily place audio, video and text interactively in a level, it truly will make the best learning experience. Consider you can have floating comment bubble that can be seen during gameplay and in the editor, as well as comments around nodes.
                Last edited by Pine722; 05-15-2019, 05:59 AM.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by spacegojira View Post
                  I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed by the Learning Resources. The focus is very clearly on architecture (archviz) and enterprises, and next to nothing for indie-gamedevs. I understand this is Epics new target audience and that the site is just starting, but it's sad you seem to forget your indie devs out there.

                  When looking at the Docs over at Lumberyard, Amazon is going into great lengths to post detailled, well explained videos on basic techniques (e.g. dynamic lighting) and intermediate things. I guess I was stupid to expect this level of resources..
                  Hi Spacegojira, Thanks for this. This is good feedback. Actually, a game dev track of courses is on our road map for this year. Its true, right now most of the content is focused on non-games. A year ago, that was the intention. Now we have grown and are continuing to grow. But a game dev track is critically important and our standards are extremely high in this regard. All I can say is its a priority and we'll roll it out as soon as we can, and when it is ready.

                  Thanks for watching.

                  Chris
                  Chris Murray
                  Senior Manager Online Learning, Unreal Engine
                  Twitter: @chrismmurray
                  LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrismmurray/

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by chrismmurray_EG View Post

                    Hi Spacegojira, Thanks for this. This is good feedback. Actually, a game dev track of courses is on our road map for this year. Its true, right now most of the content is focused on non-games. A year ago, that was the intention. Now we have grown and are continuing to grow. But a game dev track is critically important and our standards are extremely high in this regard. All I can say is its a priority and we'll roll it out as soon as we can, and when it is ready.

                    Thanks for watching.

                    Chris
                    I'll be looking forward to this.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      you guys are making really great strides in the only part you need to work on, great job.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Originally posted by chrismmurray_EG View Post

                        Hi Spacegojira, Thanks for this. This is good feedback. Actually, a game dev track of courses is on our road map for this year. Its true, right now most of the content is focused on non-games. A year ago, that was the intention. Now we have grown and are continuing to grow. But a game dev track is critically important and our standards are extremely high in this regard. All I can say is its a priority and we'll roll it out as soon as we can, and when it is ready.

                        Thanks for watching.

                        Chris
                        Thank you Chris for this reply, this is giving me hope! I am considering to apply for creating videos on basic gamedev techniques, once I have for free time (hopefully next month).

                        And @Pine722 I agree about that we as a community should help each other. And we have Youtube at least, with many great UE4 gamedev channels. I learned everything pretty much only through Youtube (and test building myself).

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Originally posted by TinkerTyler View Post
                          you guys are making really great strides in the only part you need to work on, great job.
                          Thanks! And thanks for watching!
                          Chris Murray
                          Senior Manager Online Learning, Unreal Engine
                          Twitter: @chrismmurray
                          LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrismmurray/

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Hi All,

                            I thought I'd also share here what I've put in some other forums. We are in the planning stages for our 2019/2020 courses that will appear on the learning portal.

                            Now is the time to tell is what you'd like to see! We want to hear from you on what kind of courses and topics we should be creating and what is important to you! Aside from the feedback we've already received on this thread.

                            Please take a few minutes to tell us in this short survey. (@2-3 mins). In the coming months, we will be posting a follow up survey focusing on game dev specifically.

                            https://uelpcourses.questionpro.com/

                            Thanks for your time.

                            Chris
                            Chris Murray
                            Senior Manager Online Learning, Unreal Engine
                            Twitter: @chrismmurray
                            LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrismmurray/

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Thank you Chris & Epic Games for doing more in this area and surveying what the community needs. I appreciate it. I'm hoping the survey I filled out went through ok, I sometimes encounter bugs on different websites when filling out forms. As a word of feedback, as an option I'd implement more feedback to ensure the end user that the survey information submitted was actually properly received, I know there was a message at the end trying to indicate that, however I have had issues with such surveys in the past where it would say something like that, only to find out the information never got submitted.

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by Pine722 View Post
                                Thank you Chris & Epic Games for doing more in this area and surveying what the community needs. I appreciate it. I'm hoping the survey I filled out went through ok, I sometimes encounter bugs on different websites when filling out forms. As a word of feedback, as an option I'd implement more feedback to ensure the end user that the survey information submitted was actually properly received, I know there was a message at the end trying to indicate that, however I have had issues with such surveys in the past where it would say something like that, only to find out the information never got submitted.
                                Thanks Pine. Will do. And thank you for filling it out. Please feel free to share that link with your friends . We are keeping it live until later this week. (Weds-Fri?) We'd like to get as much feedback as possible.

                                Chris
                                Chris Murray
                                Senior Manager Online Learning, Unreal Engine
                                Twitter: @chrismmurray
                                LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrismmurray/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X