Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tim Hobson Any particular reason the StructBox plugin was removed? I was using it extensively for my Save Game system. Honestly, it was a lifesaver...

So... I recompiled it for 4.22 and it seems to be working, but if there is a conflict somewhere I'd just like a little more info so I can be prepared for that.

Comment

I'm finding that the Mesh Editing window appears to be missing from 4.22.0 - is this a known issue?

Steps to reproduce:
      * From the Modes panel, drop a Basic | Sphere into a scene.
      * Select it and double-click its Static Mesh entry to open the Static Mesh editor.
      * Mesh Editing tab is gone. Window | Mesh Editing entry is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Nerdsbeware View Post
        Tim Hobson Any particular reason the StructBox plugin was removed? I was using it extensively for my Save Game system. Honestly, it was a lifesaver...

So... I recompiled it for 4.22 and it seems to be working, but if there is a conflict somewhere I'd just like a little more info so I can be prepared for that.
        According to the commit, it was "unsupported, unmaintained, and unfinished":
        https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...e831656c39fa06

I don't know though why wasn't it finished instead of removing it
        LinkedIn, Engine Contributions
        Polars (WIP), Game Jam Projects
        Marketplace: Viewport Utilities, Blueprint Streams, Control Structures

Comment

Bug on ray tracing GI:

1. Run Unreal in - DX12 mode and turn on ray tracing;

2. Open RTGI with post-processing scroll in scene;

3. Put a sphere or cone into the basic category;

4. GI is very strange to render the grid lines of grid objects.

Comment

OMG som many freezes with dx12, task manager just goes "not responding" activated raytracing and all, and it just became unusable.. got a new machine clean install of everything cpu is 9900k got 2x2080ti 1080ti and 980ti (took me a while to find how to select the right gpu via D3D12.GraphicsAdapter = 1 command, win 10.. machine used for rendering, so wanted to see what's going on in here, and boy oh boy does it need a new version.. never seen UE get frozen so much..
            - any relevant info on that so far?
            I get freezes just moving ui, might be few seconds, or a few minutes, no idea what's causing it
            oh yeah using latest 425.31 nvidia drivers but it was pretty much the same with the creator ready drivers, the 980ti didn't wanna work with creator ready drivers, I don't even know what's going on, so much new stuff probably just a lot of bugs all around, nvidia already broke octane render at some point.. maybe now it's doing it to UE .. and also how can we tell how much available vram is in win 10 - so far it looks like it ate up another gig of vram vs win7
            Last edited by robob3ar; 04-18-2019, 12:29 PM.
            artstation portfolio https://goo.gl/oTNyT7

Comment

Originally posted by KristofMorva View Post

According to the commit, it was "unsupported, unmaintained, and unfinished":
              https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...e831656c39fa06

I don't know though why wasn't it finished instead of removing it
              Yeah, that was my thought. I’ve literally never had a problem with it, so that’s why I’m wondering what exactly was unfinished or unsupported about it.

Without it, it becomes infinitely harder to create a flexible system for saving based in BP that can save any type of actor. Without struct box, each actor type will have to be hard coded into the save system, unless you use c++.

Comment

Originally posted by Nerdsbeware View Post

Yeah, that was my thought. I’ve literally never had a problem with it, so that’s why I’m wondering what exactly was unfinished or unsupported about it.

Without it, it becomes infinitely harder to create a flexible system for saving based in BP that can save any type of actor. Without struct box, each actor type will have to be hard coded into the save system, unless you use c++.
                Have you tried using Packages? Im not sure if their exposed to Blueprints or not, but you could create a quick Blueprint Library to expose them yourself.
                The documentation is out there but scarce/old. In the API Documentation, look up Create Package, Save Package, Load Package, and FPackageName.
                Example Code: https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...-to-asset.html

Code:
                Packages are basically, as far I can tell, a Object that represents a File, be it a virtual one("/Script/" Package) or a physical one("/Game/" Asset Package), and as such its FName you give it represents a virtual path, but it can also store FilePath and FileSize if it has a representation on disk, hence a physical package.

Since all Object's must have a unique FName to have a unique ObjectPath, putting Objects in separate Packages prefixes their ObjectPath with the Packages FName, which in turn acts as a Psuedo-Namespace allowing you to have Objects with similar FNames, this is reason for the virtual packages.

Packages can also be saved to disk, hence the physical packages, and store an FLinkerLoad which is a derived version of FArchive that knows how to search through the Package and find its Children(Outer = Package), and serialize them to the Package file. Then when needed, can load the Package file, and deserialize all saved Objects with their non-transient saved properties.

The Asset Registry is a tool that stores an FAssetData for each Object inside of a Package, which can be accessed for quick knowledge of loaded and unloaded Objects.
                Last edited by Diddykonga; 04-18-2019, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Diddykonga that sounds interesting. I’ll look into it. I do also hope the devs give attention to Struct Box because it was a neat and useful feature.

Comment

Has anyone got issue with saving in this engine version? after a lot of map work ill go to save and it will get stuck at 30% and ill have to end task it.

Comment

well is that it 30 games epic game trillion dollar question epic games when r u going to make you own games in stead buying exclusives

Comment

Originally posted by zxgrey10 View Post
                        well is that it 30 games epic game trillion dollar question epic games when r u going to make you own games in stead buying exclusives
                        This is a support forum for game developers, not the Youtube comment section.
                        Helium Rain, a realistic space opera

Comment

Are you planning the 4.22.1 soon? Lots of fixes piled up already

Comment

bug still since idk when. Root bone set to kinetic and constrain to plane enabled. 2.5d when simulating physics. constrain to plane is non functional so 2.5d cannot be used with ragdoll functions, or physical animations with any kinetic constraint enabled.

Comment

Probably ,, the best release for last 2 years,,,,

There are some significant performance improovements I can really see.

for people who has unknown UE4 crashes related to GPU,,, i had that nightmare last year & solved it by removing RAM sticks -> cleaned with alcohol & installed back...
                              After that procedure,, everything has gone back to normal as it should. RAM sticks are sometimes oxidizing & getting dirty at contact points inside slots & this is causing some kind of electricity loss. RAM stick is very sensitive peace of hardware and whole computer system stands on it, so little failure can produce insane errors pointing to anywhere.

My issue was, that UE4 was freezing, throwing GPU or RHI errors, freezing with material or particle editor open, even adding new terrain material layer . So, i have found that in most cases UE4 crashes when you have some faulty RAM installed in your PC & then Epic Games programmers are getting crazy to find bug which doesn't exist & developers are sending non existing bug reports. LOL
                              Last edited by Rapid_Wirehead; 04-20-2019, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StrangerGwenn View Post

This is a support forum for game developers, not the Youtube comment section.
                                true

Comment

Working...
                                X