Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found a crash with HISM (Hierarchical Instanced Static Mesh) components used in native classes and expanded on Blueprints.
    Added description and test files in answerhub. Filed a bug report as well.
    https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...-class-wi.html

Update: Found a workaround. Use only C++.
    It seems the problem (and also a visual one in my other post) is related only to Blueprints. If the class using HISMCs is purely native, no crashes occur. But even the class's children have to be native. Any Blueprint intervention and it crashes.
    Last edited by RVillani; 07-05-2018, 02:09 PM. Reason: found a workaround
    Freelancer Game Dev Generalist and Unreal Consultant | Portfolio
    Unreal products: Dynamic Picture Frames, Neo Kinect

Comment

HISM components set to static mobility have lightmap sampling errors in edit mode after the Lightmass build. But on Play/Simulate they look like expected. Attached image demonstrates the issue.

I've reproduced it by adding an EmptyActor to the level with two HISM components and some instances added to them. Set the HISM components to Static and built the light.
      I've also attached my system specs.

Edit: it seems to only happen on HISMCs inside Blueprints. Even if it is a blueprint that is a child of a native class and the native class instantiated the HISMC. But it's not happening with purely native instantiated HISMCs.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by RVillani; 07-05-2018, 02:06 PM. Reason: Add new info about Blueprint vs Native

Comment

I'm finding it very weird that no one seems to be bringing up anything about the HISM component. I've been having problems with it on 4.20 since I started testing it on preview 2. But only this week I've had the time to set up reproduction steps.

I'm really thrilled about this release. Been loving to work with Layered Materials, but in 4.19 you can't reorder them and sometimes it takes more than 5 minutes to re-setup materials above a new inserted one that should go in the middle of the others. It'll be very sad to have to stick to 4.19 because of HISM bugs. And I'm using them a lot. It's a huge environment with several repeated pieces. Not to mention the new DoF that's awesome for showing the work to your customer.
        Last edited by RVillani; 07-03-2018, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RVillani View Post
          I'm finding it very weird that no one seems to be bringing up anything about the HISM component. I've been having problems with it on 4.20 since I started testing it on preview 2. But only this week I've had the time to set up reproduction steps.
          I'm also using HISMCs a lot, and actually, there's a very horrible bug with HISMCs in both 4.19 and 4.20:

This is how it looks like when you call AddInstance in 4.18:

And this is 4.19 and 4.20:

So adding instances on runtime is completely broken visually if you have any wind in your level, the wind seems to get reset for all existing instances when new ones are added in 4.19 and 4.20.

This breaks my game unfortunately, so I very much hope it get's fixed soon.

I've posted about it on the AH too: https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...-hismc-in.html
          Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
          Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
            So adding instances on runtime is completely broken visually if you have any wind in your level, the wind seems to get reset for all existing instances when new ones are added in 4.19 and 4.20.
            How does the wind system work in Unreal? Is it animated by a time variable?

Comment

Originally posted by RVillani View Post
              How does the wind system work in Unreal? Is it animated by a time variable?
              Those trees are using the Speedtree wind node, which is more complex I guess.

Comment

Per instance random gets generated once again ? (speedtree shader uses time & perInstanceRandom)

Comment

Those trees are using the Speedtree wind node, which is more complex I guess.
                  Did you file a bur report already. Would love to upvote the issue as I did with your AH post
                  Guido Lein
                  Technical Artist - LeFx www.lefx.de

Comment

Originally posted by IslandPlaya View Post

I get a similar error trying to package a shipping build for my AR project for iOS using preview 4. My project was upgraded from 4.19.2 also. Running Verify in the launcher didn't fix the problem for me either.

This is the iOS package error.
                    Code:
                    UATHelper: Packaging (iOS): LogObj: Error: LoadConfig (/Script/Engine.Default__RendererSettings): import failed for bEnableAlphaChannelInPostProcessing in: False
                    PackagingResults: Error: LoadConfig (/Script/Engine.Default__RendererSettings): import failed for bEnableAlphaChannelInPostProcessing in: False
                    I've tried deleting all the project temp/saved files but that doesn't fix things.
                    I found the cause of the problem by comparing the two DefaultEngine.ini from 4.19 and 4.20 when creating a AR Template project.

It's this setting in 4.19:

Code:
                    r.PostProcessing.PropagateAlpha=False
                    which is changed in 4.20 to:

Code:
                    r.PostProcessing.PropagateAlpha=0
                    When I change this in my project it works in 4.20 Pretty annoying though and I guess everyone upgrading their AR project will run into this.
                    Headgear - VR/AR solutions

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Belousoff View Post
                      Hi, i'm newbie in ue4 and have no Mixed Reality Capture Framework C++ Classes in my content browser (plugin enabled) in UE4.20 Preview 4 and Preview 5 for MacOS. How can i fix this?
                      This is because mac os is not whitelisted in plugins (mixed reality and opencv). I've added Mac to whitelist and everything works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mariusz.Szaflik View Post
                        Per instance random gets generated once again ? (speedtree shader uses time & perInstanceRandom)
                        Looking at the HISMC code, it should not generate the per instance random again. Regenerating the random stream is disabled when a new instance is added, so if there's a bug with that then I assume it's not in the HISMC code but somewhere deeper.

Originally posted by LeFxGuy View Post

Did you file a bur report already. Would love to upvote the issue as I did with your AH post
                        Yes, I submitted it to Epic, including the repro project. Have not heard anything back from them though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mariusz.Szaflik View Post
                          Actually, that HISMC bug is even worse, it also happens when you update any existinginstance, not just when you add new ones. So if you have trees that are growing or anything similar, all existing instances will get their wind reset:

Edit:

Actually, we found a "fix": If there's any static mesh existing and visible with the same mesh like the HISMC, the issue does not appear.
                          Last edited by John Alcatraz; 07-05-2018, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Sweet! The project generator for CLion appears to be fixed since Preview 4. The CMakeList is there and from what I've observed, I needed to launch CLion twice so that it can load the project structure.
                            A few things aren't picked up from the code completion, like GetWorld()->GetDeltaSeconds() as an example. Nothing to be worried about.

Time to play more with it and see how the refactoring will work

Comment

we found a "fix": If there's any static mesh existing and visible with the same mesh like the HISMC, the issue does not appear.
                              And that's why, toghether with the bug report, I post it on answerhub bug session. So that others can help/be helped with discovered workarounds.

Comment

On Preview 5 materials are compiling very slowly. Even using XGE, only one ShaderCompileWorker instance is being launched at a time in IncrediBuild (Windows). I didn't notice this slowdown in Preview 4.

Edit: I've also upgraded IncrediBuild, right after installing Preview 5, so it may or not be the cause.
                                Last edited by RVillani; 07-05-2018, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X