Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Engine 4.20 Preview

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Having a great experience with 4.20 so far. Any idea for an expected release date?

    Also looking forward to the updated Shootergame project using the newly added UReplicationGraph
    LinkedIn | Nvidia GameWorks builds - 4.19.2 : VXGI2.0, Blast, HairWorks, Flow - Plugins: VictoryBP | 4.17.2 | 4.16.2 | 4.15.3 | 4.14.3

    Comment


      Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
      Apparently Epic is not reading forums that carefully and often as you expect. If you have issues which are reproducing stably, do the following to help to solve it ASAP:
      1. Create a small sample project which reproduces bug.
      2. Report it according to instructions: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/support/report-a-bug
      3. Write exact steps to reproduce and as much details as possible.

      Obviously guys are extremely busy with reported bugs and are not browsing forums in search of extra work.
      In my case, both forum message and Answerhub question seemed left unnoticed by everybody, but after reporting a bug, Epic's stuff contacted me promptly and actually helped with my issue!

      Comment


        Originally posted by diamond3 View Post

        Apparently Epic is not reading forums that carefully and often as you expect. If you have issues which are reproducing stably, do the following to help to solve it ASAP:
        1. Create a small sample project which reproduces bug.
        2. Report it according to instructions: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/support/report-a-bug
        3. Write exact steps to reproduce and as much details as possible.

        Obviously guys are extremely busy with reported bugs and are not browsing forums in search of extra work.
        In my case, both forum message and Answerhub question seemed left unnoticed by everybody, but after reporting a bug, Epic's stuff contacted me promptly and actually helped with my issue!
        Multiple people have been reporting this, every single issue created from the reports was wrong.

        Comment


          Can't package a plugin (even blank) with source code in 4.20.0 Preview 2 and 3, although it can be compiled in Development or Shipping config in C++. Is it just me?
          Markteplace: Vive Mocap Kit / Markteplace: VR IK Body Solver / Subtitles to LipSync / Stuff on Youtube

          Comment


            Originally posted by MaximumDup View Post
            Having a great experience with 4.20 so far. Any idea for an expected release date?

            Also looking forward to the updated Shootergame project using the newly added UReplicationGraph
            The UE trello says 4.20 has a release of Q3 2018 which starts in July.

            Comment


              Fixed! UE-59334 Incorrect render target index assignment in GLSLBackend
              Can you double check that UE number please, searching for "UE-59334" comes up as an Unknown Issue on the issue tracker.
              Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

              Comment


                Originally posted by YuriNK View Post
                Can't package a plugin (even blank) with source code in 4.20.0 Preview 2 and 3, although it can be compiled in Development or Shipping config in C++. Is it just me?
                Is this on Mac? Mac plugin packaging has been broken since 4.15, I reported the issue but seems like they are unable to reproduce it on their side even tough multiple users have contributed with reports, there's a workaround on the comments. https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...in-415mac.html

                Comment


                  Originally posted by diamond3 View Post

                  Apparently Epic is not reading forums that carefully and often as you expect. If you have issues which are reproducing stably, do the following to help to solve it ASAP:
                  1. Create a small sample project which reproduces bug.
                  2. Report it according to instructions: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/support/report-a-bug
                  3. Write exact steps to reproduce and as much details as possible.

                  Obviously guys are extremely busy with reported bugs and are not browsing forums in search of extra work.
                  In my case, both forum message and Answerhub question seemed left unnoticed by everybody, but after reporting a bug, Epic's stuff contacted me promptly and actually helped with my issue!
                  There had already been a couple bug reports that made it to the issue tracker posted into that thread, but today a report filed a while ago finally made it to the tracker. For everyone experiencing the hitching issue it has been confirmed present by Epic staff in versions 4.19, 4.20, and 4.21 (so far at least, 4.21 is internal still) please vote on this issue to ensure Epic knows how critical the issue is to us, thanks.

                  UE-60787 Performance drop when calling Draw to RenderTarget
                  Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

                  Comment


                    Like what you are doing, but as an old timer, I don't like the "Node" direction. In Maya you can still do great stuff without having to do a "Node" operation.
                    Reasoning: you use panels for everything else, and it becomes 'intuitive', to then get hit with a 'wiring diagrammatic interpretation' .For an old guy, perhaps young too....it kind of takes the spirit of it all away.Its what puts me off "Nuke", may be a great tool, but far too complicated......especially where everything is becoming so much more simplified. Perhaps the 'node scheme' is good for programmers, but artists function differently, and programmers don't make great artists.
                    'just an old guys view' https://awsundsign.weebly.com/

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Ratamorph View Post

                      Is this on Mac? Mac plugin packaging has been broken since 4.15, I reported the issue but seems like they are unable to reproduce it on their side even tough multiple users have contributed with reports, there's a workaround on the comments. https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...in-415mac.html
                      No, Windows. It looks like either broken UnrealBuildTool or VIsual Studio installation. Though, I use VS2017 for more then a year, and now I just updated it.

                      Code:
                      Using Visual Studio 2017 14.14.26428 toolchain (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.14.26428) and Windows 10.0.16299.0 SDK (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10).
                        G:\MyDocuments\Unreal Projects\Plugins\Text2LipSync\HostProject\Plugins\Text2LipSync\Source\Text2LipSync\Text2LipSync.Build.cs: warning: Referenced directory 'C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.20\Engine\Source\Text2LipSync\Public' does not exist.
                      [...]
                      Using Visual Studio 2017 14.14.26428 toolchain (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.14.26428) and Windows 10.0.16299.0 SDK (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10).
                        C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.20\Engine\Source\ThirdParty\Expat\Expat.Build.cs: warning: Referenced directory 'C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.20\Engine\Source\ThirdParty\Expat\expat-2.2.0\Win64\VS2015\Release' does not exist.
                        G:\MyDocuments\Unreal Projects\Plugins\Text2LipSync\HostProject\Plugins\Text2LipSync\Source\Text2LipSync\Text2LipSync.Build.cs: warning: Referenced directory 'C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.20\Engine\Source\Text2LipSync\Public' does not exist.
                      [...]
                      Running UnrealHeaderTool UE4Game "C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.20\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4\Development\UE4Game.uhtmanifest" -LogCmds="loginit warning, logexit warning, logdatabase error" -Unattended -WarningsAsErrors -installed
                      Reflection code generated for UE4Game in 6,7929523 seconds
                      ERROR: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Can't find path "G:\MyDocuments\Unreal Projects\Plugins\Text2LipSync\HostProject\Plugins\Text2LipSync\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4\Development\Text2LipSync\Text2LipSync.precompiled".
                      [...]
                          in UnrealBuildTool.PrecompiledManifest.Read(FileReference Location) в C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.20\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\System\PrecompiledManifest.cs:line 37
                      Last edited by YuriNK; 06-20-2018, 04:54 PM.
                      Markteplace: Vive Mocap Kit / Markteplace: VR IK Body Solver / Subtitles to LipSync / Stuff on Youtube

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by YuriNK View Post
                        Code:
                        G:\MyDocuments\Unreal Projects\Plugins\Text2LipSync\HostProject\Plugins\Text2LipSync\Source\Text2LipSync\Text2LipSync.Build.cs: warning: Referenced directory 'C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.20\Engine\Source\Text2LipSync\Public' does not exist.
                        I've been compiling plugins without problems. When I have a problem, it's always something I did wrong.
                        So, starting with the basics, is that folder I left on the quote ([...]text2lipsync\public) supposed to exist INSIDE the engine folder?
                        Freelancer Game Dev Generalist and Unreal Consultant | Portfolio
                        Unreal products: Dynamic Picture Frames, Neo Kinect

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by RVillani View Post
                          I've been compiling plugins without problems.
                          So, starting with the basics, is that folder I left on the quote ([...]text2lipsync\public) supposed to exist INSIDE the engine folder?
                          No, of course it shouldn't be in the engine's folder. As I said, I have a similar error in a blank project with a blank new plugin. 'text2lipsync\public' is a path to headers of my plugin. It's located inside of the plugin's sources folder and specified in the build.cs file, as usual.
                          Originally posted by RVillani View Post
                          When I have a problem, it's always something I did wrong.
                          Me too. And I spent a day trying to figure out what's wrong on my side. So, you packaged plugins successfully in 4.20 Preview, is it correct?
                          Last edited by YuriNK; 06-20-2018, 11:22 AM.
                          Markteplace: Vive Mocap Kit / Markteplace: VR IK Body Solver / Subtitles to LipSync / Stuff on Youtube

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by YuriNK View Post
                            No, of course it shouldn't be in the engine's folder. As I said, I have a similar error in a blank project with a blank new plugin. 'text2lipsync\public' is a path to headers of my plugin. It's located inside of the plugin's sources folder and specified in the build.cs file, as usual.

                            Me too. And I spent a day trying to figure out what's wrong on my side. So, you packaged plugins successfully in 4.20 Preview, is it correct?
                            Don't reference your own public folder in the build.cs, it will compile fine without it. I had to make this change for my plugins in 4.20


                            Consider supporting me on patreon

                            My Open source tools and plugins
                            Advanced Sessions Plugin
                            VR Expansion Plugin

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by mordentral View Post

                              Don't reference your own public folder in the build.cs, it will compile fine without it. I had to make this change for my plugins in 4.20
                              How can I include headers to code files then? To write '../public/' in every #include instruction is wrong. That's exactly what UE4 creates in a new plugin automatically:
                              Code:
                              using UnrealBuildTool;
                              
                              public class DemoPlug : ModuleRules
                              {
                                  public DemoPlug(ReadOnlyTargetRules Target) : base(Target)
                                  {
                                      PCHUsage = ModuleRules.PCHUsageMode.UseExplicitOrSharedPCHs;
                              
                                      PublicIncludePaths.AddRange(
                                          new string[] {
                                              "DemoPlug/Public"
                                              // ... add public include paths required here ...
                                          }
                                          );
                              ...
                              UPD.
                              Just figured out: I actually can compile if I set a module type as 'Developer' instead of 'Runtime'. But without '-Shipping' libraries, of course.

                              UPD 2.
                              Ok, it looks like the only significant warning before UBT error in the log it this:
                              C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.20\Engine\Source\ThirdParty\Expat\Expat.Build.cs: warning: Referenced directory 'C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.20\Engine\Source\ThirdParty\Expat\expat-2.2.0\Win64\VS2015\Release' does not exist.
                              t's looking for VS2015 folder, but I use 2017 for more then a year.
                              When I compile in Shipping/Win64 configuration in C++, it ends without errors, but doesn't produce -Shipping.lib. I also noticed that UBT command line agruments are changed in 4.20.
                              Last edited by YuriNK; 06-21-2018, 12:08 PM.
                              Markteplace: Vive Mocap Kit / Markteplace: VR IK Body Solver / Subtitles to LipSync / Stuff on Youtube

                              Comment


                                Something is horribly wrong with your QA if every preview has over 100 fixes tbh.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X