No announcement yet.

UE4 Wiki editing disabled beginning May 3rd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, you could explain why editing wiki meantime is seen as issue, somethint do disable? You could convert or nuke content anytime

Comment

Been wondering about this too. With it being offline for that long there hasn't been a place to update existing articles or add anything new for over 6-8 months. How come the editing was disabled when there wasn't any new solution ready to Export > Import ? Thankfully most of my stuff (except all survivalgame articles which are frozen on wiki) is not on the Wiki, but there are tons of useful content that can't be updated to recent API changes.
      Game Developer @ LODZERO - My Twitter | tomlooman.com UE4 samples & tutorials | C++ Survival Game (Open-Source)

Comment

Small Bump on this to request update on the "new wiki" status !
        Originally posted by Cheshire Dev View Post
        Actually, you could explain why editing wiki meantime is seen as issue, somethint do disable?
        i guess that was in case they did the import/reformating manually between the old and the new, but they could have freeze editing once they choosed what to do

Comment

Even if they have to transform it manually, it could not take more than a few days, up-to-date wiki content is not so huge. I believe they had some idea, they got to the point to break the current wiki, but never got to the point of doing whatever they planned to do, but they are also lazy to at least make it work the way it's been.

I guess it's somewhat similar to how they handle feature requests, more-than-2-line PRs, roadmap, forum, marketplace, answerhub and launcher requests, and everything else proposed by the community: they ignore it like the problem doesn't exist, as it does not affect Fortnite or Epic Store. A few times each year we get fair replies from the community managers of course, but sadly those are mostly just promises without any resolution to any of the problems which persist for like 5 years now. Wiki is just one little drop in the ocean of problems overseen and ignored. Not surprisingly, it does follow the pattern as expected.
          Last edited by KristofMorva; 01-29-2019, 08:23 AM.
          Game Programmer at Zen Studios and founder of Rapax Softworks
          LinkedIn, Engine Contributions, Marketplace
          Polars (WIP), Game Jam Projects

Comment

Any update on this? We're halfway through Q1 2019. Kalvothe

Comment

Originally posted by DamirH View Post
              Any update on this? We're halfway through Q1 2019. Kalvothe
              No update yet. As soon as we have an update, we'll be sure to share it with you!

Comment

One month to go until this thread reaches its one year anniversary! I'd say that I can only imagine this taking do long if you were coding the whole thing in assembly but even then I think it would be done by now...

Comment

Originally posted by DamirH View Post
                  One month to go until this thread reaches its one year anniversary! I'd say that I can only imagine this taking do long if you were coding the whole thing in assembly but even then I think it would be done by now...
                  Actually it'd be great to know if it was turned down completely, or if there is actually some work being done. If there isn't, we could also think about the possibility of a community-driven project. For example, I've been a web engineer for years before, and I don't see any issue in pulling it off, I'd gladly put it together (of course it'd need some discussion about what are the actual needs of today's UE4 coders, as I wouldn't wanna work on something, which is useless).

Comment

...more than a year now. Should we just do our own thing? Sadly, it seems like epic's focus is elsewhere..
                    Personally, I liked the form of community-driven documentation and tutorials in a centralized place as a wiki, it's pretty sad they took that away from us.
                    Nowadays, you have to scavenge through personal blog entries, unstructured answerhub stuff and whatever bits you can find in the actual documentation to find relevant and up-to-date info. I came across so many wiki entries I wanted to improve and update but couldn't... It feels like a community-driven effort would also take some pressure from their documentation team which is apparently spread so thin if it can't even do this within a year...

Comment

Originally posted by TheHugeManatee View Post
                      ...more than a year now. Should we just do our own thing? Sadly, it seems like epic's focus is elsewhere..
                      I don't know if it helps your soul in any way, but in the new learning portal thread:

Originally posted by Kalvothe View Post
                      As far as the wiki, we're getting closer to a resolution on that front and should hopefully have news in the near future.
                      Although we all know that "near future" usually means "in the upcoming years" or "never" in Epic's dictionary, but it's the most recent info we have I believe.
                      Last edited by KristofMorva; 05-09-2019, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Although we all know that "near future" usually means "in the upcoming years" or "never" in Epic's dictionary
                        Do you have an example at hand of this having happened?

Comment

Originally posted by Todd.Vance View Post
                          Do you have an example at hand of this having happened?
                          Of course! Wiki. Marketplace revamping. Roadmap. "We'll review this Pull Request as soon as possible". In almost each segment of the UE community we see this pattern: a promise that it'll be taken care of, and then it's not.

Certainly I'm not saying that it applies to everything. Some things are really done great. I just wanted to highlight that it's not a unique case.
                          Last edited by KristofMorva; 05-27-2019, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Although we all know that "near future" usually means "in the upcoming years" or "never" in Epic's dictionary
                            Of course! Wiki. Marketplace revamping. Roadmap. "We'll review this Pull Request as soon as possible". In almost each segment of the UE community we see this pattern: a promise that it'll be taken care of, and then it's not.
                            ^^ This ^^ and wondering if we'll ever get a 'real' reply to topics such as this etc...

Comment

Originally posted by KristofMorva View Post

Actually it'd be great to know if it was turned down completely, or if there is actually some work being done. If there isn't, we could also think about the possibility of a community-driven project. For example, I've been a web engineer for years before, and I don't see any issue in pulling it off, I'd gladly put it together (of course it'd need some discussion about what are the actual needs of today's UE4 coders, as I wouldn't wanna work on something, which is useless).
                              fwiw, in the years before UDK, UnrealWiki was a fantastic learning resource for every moddable Unreal game, and the engine as a whole. Unfortunately, they did a major reorganization at some point after UDK came out, and it made it much more difficult to deal with. I occasionally find myself wanting to refer to things that were on there, and it's just about impossible to find anything.

SO, yeah, when changing things around, you don't want to make them worse. But, for sure, a communtiy wiki can work well.

Comment

does this update improve the performance

Comment

Working...
                                X