Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$12 Million Worth of Paragon Assets Released - Updated!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
    While the idea behind this release is cool, it's quite worthless because most of the assets are protected - can't bake down materials for most heroes because baking crashes the engine
    I grab the texture maps a very weird way but it works

Comment

Originally posted by Wendyluvscatz View Post
      I grab the texture maps a very weird way but it works
      And I finally resolved issue with baking materials down, but it should have just worked out of the box, without jumping through hoops.

Comment

Does someone know, contains one of the models a post process animbp?
        [LEGENDS of EPICA][Twitter][FB][YT][Vimeo]

Comment

Quixel has partnered with Epic!

Comment

soulcypher Yes great, but the login doesn't work ( not for me at least... ) :-/

Edit: Ahhh! - another option hidden further down...
            Last edited by ClockworkOcean; 11-12-2019, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ClockworkOcean View Post
              soulcypher Yes great, but the login doesn't work ( not for me at least... ) :-/

Edit: Ahhh! - another option hidden further down...
              Wait, what login ?

Comment

Originally posted by soulcypher View Post

Wait, what login ?
                You can login to Quixel now with your epic login - get with the times!...

But, you have to login ( using the Epic button on their site ) and then there's a 'grant access' button further down the page...

Comment

The best way I found when merging Paragon assets into my project was to use two projects, create a root folder called Paragon in the main and then renaming the root folder in the second project to Paragon (instead of ie. ParagonSerath). Then moving that folder into the main branch, skipping existing files.
                  • There is at least one 8K image in the /Characters/Global folder called Tree or Bark.
                  • Many textures can be merged from the /FX folder into the /Characters folder.
                  • There are maybe 50 textures which are unused, and maybe 20 textures which are the same but renamed.
                  • A few grayscale linear textures can cause the editor to crash, but those images can be replaced, they are usually just some common gradient.
                  • I recommend to move all the materials into a main /Assets/Materials folder for reuse later.
                  • There are many files even after merging, like 30K
                  [LEGENDS of EPICA][Twitter][FB][YT][Vimeo]

Comment

Someone, please, answer. These assets were originally released "free for commercial use" and "no strings attached". Has this changed since?
                    And am I allowed to create Material instances from Paragon materials to use them in my own projects this way? Was I ever allowed to do so in the first place? Or is this going to count as a violation of some sort?

Comment

Originally posted by Tamuna View Post
                      Someone, please, answer. These assets were originally released "free for commercial use" and "no strings attached". Has this changed since?
                      And am I allowed to create Material instances from Paragon materials to use them in my own projects this way? Was I ever allowed to do so in the first place? Or is this going to count as a violation of some sort?
                      Those assets are there for you to do as you please. You can harvest the materials, retarget the animations, reuse the effects/audio, or use the entire characters in your projects. You have complete freedom - as long as you are using Unreal Engine 4 for your end product (only your end product has to be done in UE4, you can, however, export the assets, work on them externally, then reimport them if needed -- there was/is an export issue with some of those assets, that lead people to believe it's DRM - in reality, it's just a slight incompatibility because the team that was working on Paragon used a custom build of the Editor).

[Marketplace] Loading Screen System (ᴘʀᴏᴘᴇʀ ʟᴏᴀᴅɪɴɢ sᴄʀᴇᴇɴs, ɴᴏᴡ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴘʀᴏɢʀᴇss ʙᴀʀs)
                      [Free][Script] Automate Download of Mixamo Animations
                      [VłĐɆØ] Performance: BP vs C++ vs Blueprint Nativization

Comment

Originally posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
                        there was/is an export issue with some of those assets, that lead people to believe it's DRM - in reality, it's just a slight incompatibility because the team that was working on Paragon used a custom build of the Editor).
                        Did it ever get fixed? I believe 4.25.x still has issues exporting Paragon assets.

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
                          Did it ever get fixed? I believe 4.25.x still has issues exporting Paragon assets.
                          I haven't tried lately, but honestly, I wouldn't really expect those issues to ever be fixed. Too low of a priority plus there would be a lot of understandable hesitation to patch workarounds for very specific assets into the main branch of the editor.

As far as I know, people found workarounds to get most if nor everything out anyways. Guides are on Youtube.
                          [Marketplace] Loading Screen System (ᴘʀᴏᴘᴇʀ ʟᴏᴀᴅɪɴɢ sᴄʀᴇᴇɴs, ɴᴏᴡ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴘʀᴏɢʀᴇss ʙᴀʀs)

Comment

Originally posted by Cpt.Trips View Post

Those assets are there for you to do as you please. You can harvest the materials, retarget the animations, reuse the effects/audio, or use the entire characters in your projects. You have complete freedom - as long as you are using Unreal Engine 4 for your end product (only your end product has to be done in UE4, you can, however, export the assets, work on them externally, then reimport them if needed -- there was/is an export issue with some of those assets, that lead people to believe it's DRM - in reality, it's just a slight incompatibility because the team that was working on Paragon used a custom build of the Editor).
                            Thank you so much for responding.

Just to make really really sure, I'll explain my situation further: I'm a freelancer 3D artist and I've been asked to make hair for a UE4 character. I did my own modeling, rendered out hair textures from hair clumps I created - everything from the scratch, but decided to create the UE4 material as an instance from a Paragon hair material. I inserted my textures and tweaked some parameters to suit my needs. Now, as far as I know, in order for the material Instance to work, the parent material needs to be present in the file (believe me, I wanted to get rid of it), so the original material remained in the project.

Unfortunately, I've been told this was a copyright violation, that the client wouldn't be able to use this asset due to said copyright and that the information that stated the assets were "free for commercial use, no strings attached", was old and, I quote: "The latest updates regarding the usage of this material (you have made use of in the delivery) state completely different, and since the buyer has proved the proof that the work wasn't usable for the purpose it had been made for, due to copyright violations, this order has been canceled."

This is why I asked here. I still don't know whether I misunderstood the terms from the start or it has actually changed. Do you think this is a matter I should contact Epic Games in regards to?

Comment

Originally posted by Tamuna View Post

Thank you so much for responding.

Just to make really really sure, I'll explain my situation further: I'm a freelancer 3D artist and I've been asked to make hair for a UE4 character. I did my own modeling, rendered out hair textures from hair clumps I created - everything from the scratch, but decided to create the UE4 material as an instance from a Paragon hair material. I inserted my textures and tweaked some parameters to suit my needs. Now, as far as I know, in order for the material Instance to work, the parent material needs to be present in the file (believe me, I wanted to get rid of it), so the original material remained in the project.

Unfortunately, I've been told this was a copyright violation, that the client wouldn't be able to use this asset due to said copyright and that the information that stated the assets were "free for commercial use, no strings attached", was old and, I quote: "The latest updates regarding the usage of this material (you have made use of in the delivery) state completely different, and since the buyer has proved the proof that the work wasn't usable for the purpose it had been made for, due to copyright violations, this order has been canceled."

This is why I asked here. I still don't know whether I misunderstood the terms from the start or it has actually changed. Do you think this is a matter I should contact Epic Games in regards to?
                              I don't believe there were any changes made to the permissions. You could ask Epic to help you clear that up, I'd also ask whoever wrote you that reply to clarify what "latest updates regarding the usage of this material" they are referring to exactly.

Comment

No news so far. I wrote to Epic the last time I posted here, they said they'd contact me when there was progress in investigating this case or if they needed more information from me. Nothing yet. And the person who wrote to me about the latest updates closed the case and left me with "we can't disclose all details due to our policy" or something along those lines. Now I'll just have to wait to see what Epic says :/

Comment

Working...
                                X